Total players: 3
Gallery
  • Forge of DruEl
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Brayon
    Uploaded: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:23 am

Links Menu

Quick hi/hello from a newbie to Avlis

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Quick hi/hello from a newbie to Avlis

PostAuthor: Chaser » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:06 am

*Not entirely a newbie as of yet ( need to purchase the expansions )*

Hello there, was browsing around the nwn.bioware site and links upon links i stumbled upon this site which I might looks to be very exciteing.

I did have a couple of questiongs though. How often are DM's on and running games inside Avlis? And how much lag is there while playing?

I have tried several times to play online with no success of good DM's or players that just dont RP. So after a while I pretty much gave up searching, but this seems to be a well knit group here.

I play Star wars galaxies recently and has been alot of fun RP'ing there but I dusted off my NWN game recently ( never will I trade it in ) to see if things are still active.

Anyway just thought I would figure out what to expect before I go out and buy the expansions and get set up here, please dont mind my babbling ;)

And if anyone plays SWG sent me a PM on those boards "FURY_Chaser"

Chaser

PostAuthor: Aloro » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:18 am

We have 6 servers networked to form a huge world, but there is usually at least one DM on, and most often several, most times of the day and night. Our DMs are scattered all around the world, so there is coverage in most time zones. Of course, because of the size of the world and the number of players, there is no guarantee that you will run into a DM when you log on... but we do jump around a lot and look for newbies especially.

Lag is an ongoing issue with every online game. Here in Avlis we have taken great strides in combatting the problem, but be aware that lag is caused by a lot of things, some of which are out of our control - e.g. ping latency between your computer and the server, or your video card. Having said that, lag is much better than it used to be, and getting better all the time. It's all relative though. I won't tell you there isn't any, but I will say it's not very bad and shouldn't detract from your enjoyment. Furthermore, we're in the middle of a major upgrade to some core systems that is resulting in less lag and greater stability. Though we have frequent content updates, our servers are stable enough to stay up for weeks at a time now (which is frankly miraculous granted the complexity and size of our world).

We've pioneered a lot of systems which are used in many other persistent worlds (including our famous persistence system, which Bioware admits is superior to their own), and this same coding skill is being applied to making the gaming experience here as enjoyable and seamless as possible.

Roleplay is the central part of the Avlis experience, and we enjoy having an excellent base of very talented roleplayers from all over the world. We're proud of the community that makes Avlis the fantastic experience that it is.

Wow, I've spent too much time in marketing and sales, it seems. But hey, it's all true. ;)

Hope to see you in-game!

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Re: Quick hi/hello from a newbie to Avlis

PostAuthor: Jhevon » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:22 am

Chaser wrote:*Not entirely a newbie as of yet ( need to purchase the expansions )*

Well, a "nearly-welcome to Avlis" to you!

Unless you're in Australia you'll get HEAPS of DM attention in my experience (otherwise you'll only get LOTS!). Be warned though; DM loving on Avlis can be a bit of a two edged sword (stay away from the Mikona Gates unless you don't mind dying in a Sereg attack!)

The RP here is so good, I don't bother to PnP any more (I've been DnDing since '82!), and that's the truth.

Catch you in-game; say hello to Elwyn if you see him, and he'll show you around.

:)

Jhevon

Jhevon
Silver Lifer

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:31 am

As a player here, I can safely tell you this is the best online world (or worlds actually) you can play on if you like RP... just check your soul at the door and come on in :P
THIS IS NOT A FREE HAIRCUT

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Jeffi0 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:33 am

And dont expect to come out anytime soon :D

Welcome to Avlis, if you decide to play. Like Quiz said, this is really a great PW. Best multiplayer gaming I've ever had.
Jeffi0
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:56 am

the player to DM ratio is fairly small. I have no idea how much attention the average person gets from DMs per week. In fact, sometimes its hard to tell when a DM is interacting with you. Basically, you have to come to grips within the first month or so that you the player make your own fun rather than having it provided by a DM. After you cross that barrier, the whole world opens up to you and it truly gets fun.

Player RP is great and there is much that can be done through player-run plots.

Vergilius

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:13 am

In fact, sometimes its hard to tell when a DM is interacting with you

Oh no it isn't! They wait till you're carrying 2500 pounds of ore, then send a scaly beast after you! :P

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:30 am

Quiz001 wrote:
In fact, sometimes its hard to tell when a DM is interacting with you

Oh no it isn't! They wait till you're carrying 2500 pounds of ore, then send a scaly beast after you! :P

How do you CARRY that much ore?
Gilkin> ouch. how often do you roll a 20?
Cath> once every 20 rolls?
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: kombinat » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:47 am

Don't know about you, but as an Iron Golem, Sand can carry that much and more without slowing down! :D

Of course, he can't wield a hammer to actually mine it, so it's a bit of a moot point... :(
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

kombinat

DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:54 am

How do you CARRY that much ore

Really slowly :P

Serves me right I suppose
*scaly beast makes it's presence known.... River turns round and says 'Urk!'.... He equips his bow... scaly beast waits.... River takes a shot and then changes to sword and shield to engage in melee.... scaly beast waits..... River is still advancing.... scaly beast waits some more.... and some more... scaly beast takes a quick nap.... River arrives and attempts to slay scaly beast.... scaly beast kills River in short order... River wonders how long it's going to take him in death plane just to lose around 500 iron ore pieces.... DM takes pity on River and resurrects him via handy cleric... River legs it over area boundary and pretends he's just regrouping.... *

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Xeo » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:31 am

Make a Halfling! a a a a Evil One!

:twisted:
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

Timezone: UK

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:09 am

Xeo Bodacea wrote:Make a Halfling! a a a a Evil One!

:twisted:

There are no evil halflings! :shock:

Just crazy ones... 8) :lol: :P
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.

Everybody Loves Paula (tm)
Khaelindra
Contributor

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Silk » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:55 pm

There's a gentlman named "Cuar" that would love to meet you. :twisted: :twisted:
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team