M'Chek - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Total players: 10
Gallery

Links Menu

Broken Quests?

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Broken Quests?

PostAuthor: janr » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:20 pm

Hi and thanks for creating such a wonderful world to play in. I have a new character in Elysia and have been running errands and such for a while now. I've tried to complete two other quests without success however. The first is the Fairy's Lost wand and the other is Getting signatures for access to the Keep. In the first instance the Titan Fairy won't talk to me when I click on her. Have tried numerous times but I can never engage her in conversation. In the other case I get the Writ of Entry from the Gate Commander but when I speak to the Council members they don't seem to recognize that I have the paperwork. Each one I speak to just tells me to see the Gate Captain to obtain the appropriate paper work. Is this due to the quests being broken or am I doing something wrong. I have tried asking about this in the DM channel but I have never gotten a response :(

Thanks in advance.
janr
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: janr » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:50 pm

I've done some searching in the forum and it appears that both these quests were reported broken over a month and a half ago. Without scripted quests I'm a bit at a loss for what do do now since I'm having a hard time finding other low level characters to team up with. Most folks seem to be level 7-10 and up so teaming with them will be against the rules in the player guide.
janr
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: CPU » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:55 pm

Janr,

The guide is incorrect in regards to teaming up. It used to be that if a lower level teamed up with a higher level, the both would geat increased amounts of XP. This has since been coded out of the XP system. You can team up with higher level characters, if you want, especially if there isn't anyone around even close to your own level.

Game ON!
CPU
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Sindol » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:01 pm

janr wrote:Most folks seem to be level 7-10 and up so teaming with them will be against the rules in the player guide.

1. Try talking to them, just RP your character and make some friends. Nobody will tell you to sod off because you're too low level to hang around with them. At least that's my experience.

2. Don't take that levels thing too serious. I haven't read the player guide myself (still meaning to though), but I do know that the primary thing in Avlis is to have fun while roleplaying your character. If that means some hotshot epic level guy drags you to the most dangerous spot on the server to impress your newbieness, so be it. :)
Just don't make a habit out of doing such things (pushing them to go placed that you could never handle), because then it will start to look like you're getting someone to get you some free XP. To give an indication: Just last night I've DMed a party that had players in it ranging from level 2 to 22. I had fun, they had fun (I hope), the other DMs there had fun: mission accomplished case closed.
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
Sindol

PostAuthor: Tahni » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:07 pm

janr wrote:Most folks seem to be level 7-10 and up so teaming with them will be against the rules in the player guide.

Teaming up with them for OOC reasons, ie lets go get you some Exp, or we'll get you that nice item, what used to be called Power levelling is frowned upon. Not grouping with a high level character, and finishing off his / her kills, so that you get huge exp is also power leveling

But just meeting and talking IC with a group of people and being asked to join their adventure is OK, as I understand it. Well Tahni's first lot of friends were very high levels. Never got any exp for the adventures, but they were real fun :D
Nothing's forgotten, nothing is EVER forgotten
Tahni
Sage

Timezone: GMT+0

PostAuthor: janr » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I have enjoyed exploring the City of Elysia and the surrounding country side and I've met quite a few people already, but after reading what the player guide said, I didn't want to ask them to team up for fear that they might see it as either 'towing' or 'power gaming,' neither of which I have any interest in.

For meta gaming reasons, I never examine other characters IG but I sometimes scan the player list prior to logging on and in the past two days I've been the only lvl 1 on the server as far as I can tell. Are there more low level players in Mikona? My character has earned enough gold now that she can afford a passage to the human lands.
janr
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: kombinat » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:41 pm

janr,

If you're stuck for things to do, getting bored, there's people on but you can't find them, try sending a Tell or two to people, saying you'd like to bump into them to roleplay.. not everyone likes that and you may get a cold shoulder or two, or people caught up in stuff that they can't have someone join in on (coitus interruptus anyone?), but often they'll say "Hey yeah we're organising an adventure, come to so-and-so"... if you see Sand on, send a Tell and join in the fun.

Cheers,
kombinat
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

kombinat

DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: janr » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:43 pm

kombinat wrote:janr,

If you're stuck for things to do, getting bored, there's people on but you can't find them, try sending a Tell or two to people, saying you'd like to bump into them to roleplay..

I'll try to avoid doing that until I get to know more people. Don't want to alienate anyone with potentially disruptive tells ;)

Thanks for the suggestion though. Good to know that tells are allowed in a pinch.
janr
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: wyzman » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:43 pm

If you see wyzman on either elysia or mikona feel free to give me a tell. Im lvl 2 and will hit 3 tonight but im always looking for people my level to go exploring with. I've found a few cool places that fit our level but dont have the party to do it with.

I do feel the same way you do sometimes but my experience so far gives me hope.

The first day I was on i ran into a group of high lvl people and just started talking to them. they 'tested' my combat prowness by summoning a few beasts and watched me go at it. was quit funny and fun. so for me playing along with them they decided to take me on a tour of the mikonian mines... boy was that a rush.

Since then, i've defended against a sereg attack and an undead invasion. (all the while only being lvl 1 and 2). its great to actually play a game and people not worry about what lvl you are. Just do your best and let people know your there to have fun and explore.

Really enjoying this place and so far it is very intriguing if you dare get involved in all the stuff going on behind the scenes. Again, feel free to look me up. (im mostly in Mikona though.)

*************EDIT**************************

I too tried to do the writ of entry quest and found many councilpeople but none signed mine. I though I lost it or something and ended up with three of them. In disgust I littered the wharves with them before heading back to mikona. Maybe that'll make a statement to the city council!
~Dristin the Lost

wyzman
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: janr » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:20 pm

Does anyone know when the Writ of Entry and Fairy quests may be working again?
janr
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Sindol » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:34 pm

janr wrote:Does anyone know when the Writ of Entry and Fairy quests may be working again?

If they are noted in the bug reports check in there. If there is no bug report that deals with these bugs, make one. If there is a bug report for these bugs, it is still on the to-do list. Bugs that are solved are closed and removed from the active bug reports forum.

Note that this is not the bug reports forum, please don't use it as such. You'll find the correct forum under the world development category, where it is more convenient for our coders.
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
Sindol

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:02 pm

there is always the send tiras a tell option! Tiras is always available to play with. Mostly on the wilderness server. evenings, EST.

This has been yet another shameless plug...
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: janr » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:04 pm

Sindol wrote:Note that this is not the bug reports forum, please don't use it as such. You'll find the correct forum under the world development category, where it is more convenient for our coders.

Sorry, won't happen again.
janr
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Slade_brimstone » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:16 pm

kombinat wrote:if you see Sand on, send a Tell and join in the fun.

last time i joined up with sand it cost me 700xp ..... timestoppin orcs suck

Slade_brimstone
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team