Total players: 2
Gallery
  • Winter Ball 2015
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:41 pm

Links Menu

Newbie Questions

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Newbie Questions

PostAuthor: wyzman » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:50 pm

1. I received a few 'fed-ex' quests... some of them give the name of the person and just say they are located on the second floor of the house. It does not say what zone or what house. I spent a few hours walking into houses and trying to find these guys. On another occasion i was told to give something to O'ma G...(something), reading through the forums today i see that he is a god. It also said he lived in a house. Guess im confused on how to go about completing these quests. Now some do tell the persons name and their location like "city gate inn"

2. Where/how do I ask for access to the ranger forum?

3. Other than having the person in your group how do you do a /tell?

4. What is the correct procedure to have your background 'approved' if you have a storyline already made up.

I have played for an evening on the Mikona server and had a wonderful time. Everyone I have met was really nice and outgoing. A truely enjoyable experience and wanted to say thanks for all your hard work. Lots of info to digest for a new player but im getting there. Special thanks to Nikki and Alyen (sp) for making my night more "adventureous"

wyzman
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: tindertwiggy » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:56 pm

1. My guess is you took the fed ex quest at night when the character was at home. During the day they are in a bit more locatable area.

2. Apply to the ranger group. You can do this through the Groups link at the top of the page.

3. Hit p, click on persons name, hit tell button.

4. PM a dm with your story. We don't require stories to be submitted, but we do love working with players on such.
Happiness is baked with one part bat guano, one part sulfur.

tindertwiggy
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:59 pm

For tells: you can also

Click the portrait of the person. This can be the large portrait to the right if you are partied or it can be the small portrait in the text window for anyone you are interacting with.

Vergilius
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: wyzman » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:12 pm

Thanks for all the help.

After a few weeks of being here its been a real blast. I've learned alot and explored some great places. I've yet to run into a DM 'guiding' our low level party yet (as far as i could tell) but look forward to it.

I've talked a few friends to start up guys also and we would love to put our backgrounds down to paper and shoot it over to you. Pretty open ended and no cheesing :)

If I was to post a message on the tavern board to look for similiar powered people to gather and strike out on an adventure, what would be the probability of a DM showing up? I've played NWN a lot but never with a DM behind the scences and look forward to it.

Thanks again for your guys time and great atmoshere.
~Dristin the Lost

wyzman
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Sindol » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:02 pm

wyzman wrote:If I was to post a message on the tavern board to look for similiar powered people to gather and strike out on an adventure, what would be the probability of a DM showing up?

I think that it depends largely on two things:
1. If a DM likes your idea and feels he can do something to further it.
2. If a DM has time when you have. We have DMs from all over the world, but those are all volunteers, so there's not always one available.
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
Sindol

PostAuthor: wyzman » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:19 am

Ok, I know I asked for DM intervention... But...

having a sereg istar turning me to stone at the city gate of Mikona in my underware (while im stealthed mind you) is not what I had in mind. Does petrification wear off or do I have to reroll?
~Dristin the Lost

wyzman
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Aloro » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:46 am

wyzman wrote:Ok, I know I asked for DM intervention... But...

having a sereg istar turning me to stone at the city gate of Mikona in my underware (while im stealthed mind you) is not what I had in mind. Does petrification wear off or do I have to reroll?

There is no perma-death in Avlis. Petrification can either be dispelled or reversed, or can lead to death, from which you can return normally.

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: choraldances » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:00 am

Welcome to Mikona, land of Sereg'wethrin.

At least in the testing stages :)
choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Kreetogg » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:05 am

As long as this thread exists:

Is it... appropriate, to ask for a DM to get envoled with something while you are in game? For example, sending the following message to the DM channel:

Bold young Kreetogg and a group of assorted youngans strike out to explore the depths of the Elysia sewer system. Who knows what zainy adventures they will have!

Obviously, if no DM feels like showing up, no DM will show up. But would one get, oh, slain by an CR 40 rat for doing such a thing on the DM channel?

The only other times I've had the chance to play with DMs they always found my party. Of course, this was on much smaller worlds. ...Pretty weird to walk around and suddenly get a nasty earthquare, then have a balor walk out of a newb area at you... (No, thats not a hint. Don't do that to me in game, please :)

Kreetogg
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Vichan Lyonsen » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:35 am

Kreetogg wrote:As long as this thread exists:

Is it... appropriate, to ask for a DM to get envoled with something while you are in game? For example, sending the following message to the DM channel:

Bold young Kreetogg and a group of assorted youngans strike out to explore the depths of the Elysia sewer system. Who knows what zainy adventures they will have!

Obviously, if no DM feels like showing up, no DM will show up. But would one get, oh, slain by an CR 40 rat for doing such a thing on the DM channel?

The only other times I've had the chance to play with DMs they always found my party. Of course, this was on much smaller worlds. ...Pretty weird to walk around and suddenly get a nasty earthquare, then have a balor walk out of a newb area at you... (No, thats not a hint. Don't do that to me in game, please :)

This DM might show and might not, and will not drop a CR40 rat in front of you.. mostly because I prefer vampires but thats as may be.

I would say you could do this, but dont get into the habit of it....unless the DM is running something, they tend to jump around abit. We can tell if you and your friends are in the same area and we generally love to look in on groups. So its a call you have to make, please dont do it everytime you and two other people go somewhere.

I for one, wont complain if this happens from time to time - the rest of the DM'S? well maybe they will chime in and say....roll the dice..its Dm loving one way or another :twisted:
I've spent most of my money on beer, fast women, and fast cars. The rest I just wasted .
Vichan Lyonsen
CCC
CCC

Timezone: pacific

PostAuthor: choraldances » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:30 am

I won't mind unless I keep getting this message even if you don't get a reply. :)

But most the time, you'll get a reply from me, if I'm there that says, I'm busy right now. :)
choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team