M'Chek - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Mikona - (0)
Total players: 3
Gallery

Links Menu

Can something be done about Water Elements?

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Can something be done about Water Elements?

PostAuthor: Dirk Cutlass » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:27 pm

With their drown attack, these creatures are one of the most dangerous around (for anyone without immunity to death effects). Yet their CR seems low in comparison. I've no problem with their drown effect itself, but the monster needs to go up a few CR levls to compensate for this potentially lethal effect.

For example, in Ferrel I encountered a couple of Water Mephits. When I next visit there (a bit more experienced) it is suddenly spawning 1 or 2 Water Elementals! This indicates to me that the encounter scripts are regarding Water Elementals as just one step up from Water Mephits, which given the relative difficulty and lethalness of these two creatures - it is clearly not the case.

Can the elements be given a CR rating comensurate with their abilities.
Dirk Cutlass
Elder Sage

Re: Can something be done about Water Elements?

PostAuthor: Vanor » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:37 pm

Dirk Cutlass wrote:Can the elements be given a CR rating comensurate with their abilities.

I'll take a look at that tonight... I doubt the CR has been lowered by us, which means either Bioware didn't increase it when they added in the drown attack, or it's where it should be.
Vanor
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:45 pm

they are the default as Bioware has them setup. that doesn't mean it's right. but to change them would mean having to reaplce all teh default water elementals with custom ones

that would mean the area managers would have to go through every mod and track down every occurance of the water elementals and replace them.

not saying it won't ever happen, but there is a lot of stuff that is higher priority unfortunately.
You see things and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw
Jordicus

PostAuthor: 4x4_Ender » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:48 pm

Not that there are that many on avlis anyways. I only know of a few spots off hand where they spawn: Slaver's Deep, Water Supply in Deglos, etc.

But, i agree with Dirk that the CR given to water elementals does not reflect their difficulty at all, especially for fighters who need to use melee to kill them.
"Many make a trade of delusions and false miracles, deceiving the stupid multitude." -Leonardo Da Vinci
4x4_Ender
Sage

PostAuthor: Mistcaller » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:50 pm

There is a process going on of re-structuring and re-evaluation of custom NPCs and this request has been taken into account. But it takes time...
Mikona will be the first with the new NPCs' palette soon enough.
Mistcaller

PostAuthor: storminj » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:51 pm

They use to spawn in the mines of Mikona but they have dissapeared most likely to protect miners. I have been scared to fight these buggers because of this attack....scary.
Captain Friday Alibar of The Good Ship Clandestine
Privateer Extraordinaire of Privateer Enterprises
Sales Representative of FeatherFinger Trading
South Avlis Trade Federation (SATF) Member

"Hey, I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose." Celia OOTS 278
storminj
Sage

PostAuthor: Nob » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:52 pm

On the same subject, elder/huge water elementals don't give any xp last time I checked. Given how proposterously powerful these things are, that needs to be adjusted a little. Pretty please?
"Andrinor grant me the patience not to kill those who screw things up through stupidity, the power to incinerate those who screw things up on purpose, and the wisdom to distinguish between one and the other." -The War Mage's Serenity Prayer
Nob
Elder DM
Elder DM

DM Avatar: Dead but still a Dreamer

PostAuthor: Dirk Cutlass » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:58 pm

Sure, I understand. Thanks for the quick responses. And I understand that there probably won't be a quick resolution to this - just stick it in the queue ;)

PS: All the development team do a fantastic job already, and I hate having to to ask for anything. I just feel so guilty that you guys spend so much time working on Avlis, that you don't get to spend as much time actually enjoying the fruits of you labours by playing there.
Dirk Cutlass
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: TheElvenKing » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:02 pm

Nob wrote:On the same subject, elder/huge water elementals don't give any xp last time I checked. Given how proposterously powerful these things are, that needs to be adjusted a little. Pretty please?

I remember the last time I fought one of these things. After about 500 damage done to it and it only being 'injured', I was beginning to wonder if the thing was bugged or what the hell was going on. I guess it could have been DM intervention, but since the server was dead and my tells asking whether this whole thing was bugged or possessed went unanswered, I highly doubt it. If there's one thing I've noticed over the last 9 months is that the Avlis team of DM's are HIGHLY responsive to player inquiries - a fact that is not lost on this player at all; you guys rock. 8)
dougnoel wrote:Q: But...
A: No.

TheElvenKing

PostAuthor: Aloro » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:02 pm

Dirk Cutlass wrote:PS: All the development team do a fantastic job already, and I hate having to to ask for anything. I just feel so guilty that you guys spend so much time working on Avlis, that you don't get to spend as much time actually enjoying the fruits of you labours by playing there.

Heh. I was online DMing for a few hours last night, and I felt guilty the whole time because I have so much work to do on Avlis projects. :P

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: Urizen » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:17 pm

Online DMing eh? Check the "Take the boat he says" in the M'Chek army forum for an amusing recount. Anyhow, I think this problem could easily be solved by making Tollgorath drop +5 swords of water elemental slaying :wink:
When life gives you lemons, make margaritas.
Urizen
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

DM Avatar: Paragus

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:52 pm

Gnomish SCUBA mask

immunity spell: drown
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:53 pm

WrathOG777 wrote:Gnomish SCUBA mask

immunity spell: drown

LOL :lol:
You see things and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw
Jordicus

PostAuthor: Lafferty » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:01 pm

IMO, the drown attack gets really annoying with a summoned water elemental and a familiar around. The elemental often kills the familiar with the drown attack.
Tool for crafters Do you want some human to your salt? nomanisanisland.monolar.de
Lafferty
Scholar

Location: look at my hands... they are HUGE. And they cant touch themselves...

PostAuthor: kombinat » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:33 pm

Lafferty wrote:The elemental often kills the familiar with the drown attack.

That's when it doesn't kill you at the same time :oops:
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

kombinat

DM Avatar: Senath

Re: Can something be done about Water Elements?

PostAuthor: Strangg » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:29 pm

Vanor wrote:
Dirk Cutlass wrote:Can the elements be given a CR rating comensurate with their abilities.

I'll take a look at that tonight... I doubt the CR has been lowered by us, which means either Bioware didn't increase it when they added in the drown attack, or it's where it should be.

The drown attack is a bioware thing, water elementals dont' normally have it, and yes, their CR is WAY off because of it. Drown attack = Insta-death ability which means their CR should be much higher. However, Bioware doens't exactly calculate CR properly... They just need to have the effect removed that will fix them properly.

~S
Fighters do it face to face, Rogues may do it from behind, Rangers can do it from a distance, Wizards do it from out of nowhere, Clerics may not do it at all, Barbarians may do it in a rage, Sorcerers can do it on a whim, Bards on a note, but Paladins have to pay for it!

"You have a way with words... like a sage with a two-by-four" ~ Ava
Strangg

PostAuthor: Mistcaller » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:11 pm

Please check the usual place in Mikona and report here...
Mistcaller

PostAuthor: Dirk Cutlass » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:22 pm

Mistcaller wrote:Please check the usual place in Mikona and report here...

*scratches head* I didn't even know there were Water Elementals in Mikona ... how long have I been here? :lol:
Dirk Cutlass
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: KinX » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:24 am

Dirk Cutlass wrote:
Mistcaller wrote:Please check the usual place in Mikona and report here...

*scratches head* I didn't even know there were Water Elementals in Mikona ... how long have I been here? :lol:

There used to be some in the Mines, haven't been in there for a while so i'm not sure if they've been removed or are still there.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

This statement is false
KinX
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: Starslayer_D » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:38 am

The Mikona Mine Water elementals are still around and deadly...
ashzz: at the very core of the problem is that good characters and organizations can do much more EVIL in the name of good than evil can do evil.
Daerthe: There is only room for so much realism before things start to get silly

Starslayer_D
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Mistcaller » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:32 am

Ok.. can someone tell me how much XP they give? I refer only to those in Mikona mines.
Mistcaller

PostAuthor: Starslayer_D » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:29 pm

I didn't check them.. my lvl 9 barbarian simply ran, as there were 6 of them.. (allthough the smallest ones)
ashzz: at the very core of the problem is that good characters and organizations can do much more EVIL in the name of good than evil can do evil.
Daerthe: There is only room for so much realism before things start to get silly

Starslayer_D
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Sickocrow » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:39 pm

30 seconds from post time.

5 Huge water ellies destroyed

XP given 5,6,6,7 and 9

3 of them dropped loot; a poison scroll, a fire agate and a barkskin potion.

lv 22 character (Gunter Kilya)

Seocnd test an hour later yeilded similar results 5-9 XP

Sicko-

Sickocrow
Sage

Timezone: GMT+8

PostAuthor: Cymbolism » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:06 pm

I summoned two of these back to back tonight in Elysia - about 1300GMT and the first killed my character, the second killed my familiar and dished out a nice 68 elemental damage to itself with drown.
Is that a one off bout of shitluck? or are these things bugged?
I have three kids and no money.
Why can't I have no kids and three money? - Homer Simpson.
Cymbolism
Scholar

PostAuthor: Dirk Cutlass » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:42 pm

Cymbolism wrote:I summoned two of these back to back tonight in Elysia - about 1300GMT and the first killed my character, the second killed my familiar and dished out a nice 68 elemental damage to itself with drown.
Is that a one off bout of shitluck? or are these things bugged?

I think you'll actually find that his how their attack works. Apparently they "split in two" and half of the water is use to drown you. This is why it "appeared" lose 68 hp... well that used to be the case unless that has changed too. Actually, thay can only "split in two" once, so if you survive the drown attack, it just goes down to a regular fight.
Dirk Cutlass
Elder Sage

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team