M'Chek - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 5
Gallery

Links Menu

Character Journals Forum

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Character Journals Forum

PostAuthor: Sunscream » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:56 am

What is the Character journals forum for, and why is it locked?
Sunscream
Master Sage

Timezone: GMT-4

Re: Character Journals Forum

PostAuthor: Manuel the White » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:03 am

Sunscream wrote:What is the Character journals forum for, and why is it locked?

The Journal Forum has unique properties that other forums do not. Specifically, only the starter of a journal (thread) can reply to his/her own journal and only one journal (thread) can be started per member in the journal forum.

The team never really decided the best use for the Journal Forum although some ideas have been bounced around. One issue is whether the information in a users journal is IC or OOC information. Since the journal would be visible to Registered Forum members, what you post there would be known to most everyone.

The forum does not HAVE to be used for Journals. It could be renamed to just about anything instead of Journal Forum. Can you think of a good use for a Forum that has the unique features described above? What could it be used for? Player notes? Character descriptions? All of the above?
ACTIVE CHARACTERS: Casey Landry, Jessie Morrice
SOMETIMES CHARACTERS: Silinde, Luthias
INACTIVE CHARACTERS: Manuel (the White) Thay't Le'Megen, Zven Reaplenoose, Drashter Volterz
Manuel the White
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Tahni » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:45 am

What would be nice is a write up, by one or more characters of the major events. For instance the Saga with the Gentleman, I was involved in the begining of the story, but never saw it's completion. It would be nice to know what happened.

Another is the story of the Vortex, before my time, but its reprecussions seem to linger
Nothing's forgotten, nothing is EVER forgotten
Tahni
Sage

Timezone: GMT+0

PostAuthor: Deider » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:22 pm

Tahni wrote:What would be nice is a write up, by one or more characters of the major events. For instance the Saga with the Gentleman, I was involved in the begining of the story, but never saw it's completion. It would be nice to know what happened.

That might be a tough one, simply because people are sitting on certain bits of information so that The Gentleman won't be able to return. Because he wasn't destroyed, simply banished.

What if people used the forum to post IC background info about their characters? Something that would turn up in normal conversation with someone in a bar or on a date?

I know we have a single thread where people post this info now, but frankly it's near impossible for me as a DM to go through it to find info on a single character.

People have recently been saying that they want interaction on the character level, events that affect their characters personally and are tied into their backgrounds. I have no problem doing that, but I usually don't have that background to work with.

One of the great things about Avlis, a challenge that I love as a DM, is that every time I log on I'm DMing without a net. Unless I've scheduled an event I have no idea who's going to be on, what their alignments, classes, levels, and gear will be. I get a real kick out of trying to DM in that environment, but it's horrible for single character development.

What I'm trying to say is that people could post their backgrounds in a single post, keeping out info people wouldn't normally learn in a simple conversation. Just enough to give a DM a hook, and not too much that people could use it against you OOC by accident. So when a DM sees you on the server he maybe can check the forum and see if you have an entry. Hey, you've got an uncle lives in Southill? Okay, maybe I run with that and you and some others have a little adventure.

Just my 2 yen. Okay, I rambled, make it 20 yen.
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

Re: Character Journals Forum

PostAuthor: j5hale3 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:36 pm

Manuel the White wrote:The Journal Forum has unique properties that other forums do not. Specifically, only the starter of a journal (thread) can reply to his/her own journal and only one journal (thread) can be started per member in the journal forum.

Wow, I remember the IRC conversation about this so long ago. It would be nice to see it being used.

Best regards,
j5hale3
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Dralix » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:39 pm

I think the idea of a journal can work as long as it is clearly defined as to what it is, and of course provided there is interest.

For instance it could be a library of sorts where anyone can go and write whatever they want in their journal, with the understanding that anyone can drop in and read it.

So if someone wants to write about the Vortex or the Gentleman, then fine. Just don't write anything that you want to kept hidden.

I suppose the modern equivalent would be a blog.

Dralix
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: Silk » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:57 pm

Dralix wrote:I suppose the modern equivalent would be a blog.

I really like this idea. So it would be a publically viewable in character journal of your character's adventures.

I like it.
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: Deider » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:01 pm

Silk wrote:

I really like this idea. So it would be a publically viewable in character journal of your character's adventures.

I like it.

This would also be really invaluable to DMs. Say I see you in Derrington Keep, and decide I want to start a short adventure. I have a guard tell you to go see Lord Derrington.

Now I start to wonder, have you met Lord Derringon before? Perhaps you've already done his scripted quest, perhaps not. Yes, it's a minor issue, but I'm anal like that, and the story is in the details. So I check your journal and find out that not only have you met Lord Derrington, you got drunk and threw up on him an a party he threw. He captures you and sells you to the orcs.
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: maelwydd » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:01 pm

How about a news paper? Perhaps people can be setup as reporters or the publication and be assigned or when involved post updates to stories. Ongoing plotlines can then be consolidated and updated when new information comes to light.

This would be ideal for the Bard type character to earn some xp cudos from the DM's running the plotlines...
maelwydd
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Dralix » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:01 pm

Deider wrote:So I check your journal and find out that not only have you met Lord Derrington, you got drunk and threw up on him an a party he threw. He captures you and sells you to the orcs.

Note to self: Next time you get drunk and throw up on Lord Derrington, do NOT write it in your public journal. :D

Dralix
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: JollyOrc » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:07 pm

maelwydd wrote:How about a news paper? Perhaps people can be setup as reporters or the publication and be assigned or when involved post updates to stories. Ongoing plotlines can then be consolidated and updated when new information comes to light.

This would be ideal for the Bard type character to earn some xp cudos from the DM's running the plotlines...

Search for the Daily Mikonan...
JollyOrc
QA Resource

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Manuel the White » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:18 pm

A blog is certainly a good idea. In fact, my original inspiration for going out and installing the Journalling code was this thread: http://www.avlis.org/viewtopic.php?t=10782
INACTIVE CHARACTERS: Manuel (the White) Thay't Le'Megen, Zven Reaplenoose, Drashter Volterz
Manuel the White

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:27 pm

it would be great to see more journals like the daily exploits of rageing squirl. This could be the place. Not that I could put 90% of what Tiras does in there...
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Tahni » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:46 pm

WrathOG777 wrote:it would be great to see more journals like the daily exploits of rageing squirl. This could be the place. Not that I could put 90% of what Tiras does in there...

Really! *looks shocked* :wink:
Nothing's forgotten, nothing is EVER forgotten
Tahni
Sage

Timezone: GMT+0

PostAuthor: Scurvy_Platypus » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:49 pm

Easiest (?) way to do it would be to have the initial thread that's created for each person to be Character Background. Allow it to be editable so that if they can think of something else to finish fleshing it out, then they can put it in.

Alternatively, the Character Background post can be made by the Forum Moderator, and then only the Player of said character can then reply to his thread. This has the advantage of being certain that a player doesn't hear something cool that's going on, dashes over to their thread and adds in a quick bit about something in their background that would allow them more information than they would have otherwise gotten.

Either way, have the Background be the very first post to every character journal. If a player chooses to leave it blank, that's their choice. After the Background posting, everything after that can be the (mis)adventures of, or a character blog, or pretty much whatever. Portraits painted by Janur can be proudly displayed, diaries kept, and "private" speculations/plots hatched.

Would there be stuff that a player wouldn't feel comfortable about admitting? Fine, don't put it down. If you want to gloat, brag, or whatever, feel free to write it as your character would. I think it's a great idea that might help people be able to develop their characters more clearly in their mind's eye.
Scurvy_Platypus
Scholar

PostAuthor: JollyOrc » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:08 pm

well, I would gladly start this, but the thing is locked..

:D Unlock it, damnation!
JollyOrc
QA Resource

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Manuel the White » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:35 am

Scurvy, I love your ideas. Since only the creator of a thread can post to it, players would have to be responsible for posting their character information at the top of the thread. Perhaps we should speak a bit about ettiquette and lay some ground rules.

I know, we hate rules. I do too. I just got off a plane from Tulsa and I really had the urge to stand up during the flight and say, "I am Jesus Christ the Lord. Do not be afraid." However, since I didn't want to be met by police at the end of the jetway, I refrained.

1. Only one thread per character. This means that if you want to have another thread for another character, you'll have to create a new forum account for that character. It's a bummer but mixing Journal's up among multiple characters would be far too confusing.

2. The purpose of the journal is NOT to blast other characters or players (the latter being far worse) in a venue where the recipient of your angst has no opportunity to reply or defend his/her self. Bad form. Use common sense and be respectful of one another.

3. Know when to post in the tavern and when to post in your journal. Some things definately belong in an absolute IC location which are the taverns.

4. The character profile must give a name, race and gender at a minimum.

What do you think? Are these too restrictive? Did I miss something? Also, should the journals be IC or OOC information? How would people get to see other people's journals in game?
Manuel the White

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:38 am

i think to be safe, it would have to be considered OOC information. otherwise there are too many complications..
You see things and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw
Jordicus

PostAuthor: Manuel the White » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:27 pm

I'm inclined to agree with you there, Jordi. Anyone else care to chime in? It is, afterall, for the best part of Avlis: you guys and gals.
Manuel the White

PostAuthor: Dralix » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:46 pm

Silk wrote:

What Silk said here is exactly what I had in mind. Public and in character. Do not write anything in there that you do not want to be made public.

IMO, if you make it OOC there will be concerns about people using the information IC. Not to mention the fact that we will have to remember whether such and such information was learnd IC or OOC.

Keep it all IC, and you only need rule 2.

For what it's worth. *shrugs*

Dralix
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: Psyco » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:34 am

If people can visit taverns IC while the are not logged in, then being able to visit the local library isn't that much of a stretch.

My vote would go for having them as an IC public information thread. Post things that are public knowledge. This also has the advantage of giving new people a grounding on who's who around avlis so they can ask around for the right person.

If all threads were started with a topic including name and points of affiliations, like

Joe Bloggs - Mikon - AKN - AAAA - Ravens - Hands - Sword - OoG

then at a glance it would be very easy for DMs to find hooks or other players to find the person they are are after, If all the info is kept IC then its just a bix index.
Psyco
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Cymbolism » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:53 am

Sounds to me as if we are talking about two different things perhaps.
One that is IC and viewable by all, and one that is OOC and only viewable by DM's for their convenience. Is that possible?
I mean, their are many characters with secrets to keep that their players may feel compromised if certain info was published for all to see - yet it would be great to have that info available for DM's to read.
I have three kids and no money.
Why can't I have no kids and three money? - Homer Simpson.
Cymbolism
Scholar

PostAuthor: Psyco » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:00 am

I might not have been 100% clear on what i was meaning. The affiliations would only be those that are public, so as far as the hands go there would only be one person who has that tag, the speaker.

And the IC info can be used at hooks by DMs even if it is not 100% accurate/complete, if its common knowledge no PCs then its common knowledge to NPCs.
Psyco
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: jbspahn » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:03 am

I think using it as an in character journal would be useful because there would be all sorts of windows opened. There can be monthly contests on the best journal/story. Because not only will the journal be seen as just info, but also a story. OR it could be used as a narrator point of view. telling the story that your adventurer is going on. Not nescarily having to give away all player thoughts and such, this could also be turned to a contest for best story, ect. I agree that at the first page could be player background and description, name, race, age, ect. then next posts could be as a narrator telling the story, so not having to say EVERY detail, but just if you did a bunch of newbie quests it could be just briefed up as getting some small jobs done. Then the bigger quests or DM run, or heavy roleplaying stuff could be told in detail as part of the story. After all i see Avlis as a huge fantasy novel writing its self as you live through the novel. So this would create a multitude of mini novels, from character to character. just my small two cents. :D

P.S. i kinda would think just the raw in character would be the best, but there were things brought up about it not working, and i am new to the community so i do not know about much of these things.

jbspahn
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Manuel the White » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:27 am

Heheh. Now you know why the forum is still locked.

All the ideas are valid. Each use is slightly different and has its own benefits and problems. I'm of the opinion that the simplest implementation is the best one.

Which iteration poses the least amount of IC versus OOC (or other) problems? Once decided, we can apply rules to it.

Eventually I'm just going to pull the trigger and implement something. But I'm glad that it's out here for all to contribute thoughts to.
Manuel the White

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team