Deglos - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Mikona - (0)
Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

worlds linked in the future

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

worlds linked in the future

PostAuthor: The Constrainer » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:46 am

Will future worlds linked to Avlis have some type of IC group controling the portals? For instance would the Sword of Toran have control of the Abyss404 portal when implemented to banish criminals to a lost layer of the Abyss?

The Constrainer
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Deider » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:56 am

I doubt it. For example, your example doesn't work very well since no one can really be banished to the Abyss, since there's a portal out. And how could such a banishment be enforced anyway? I don't think any team member would allow a player to be forced to play his character on another server.

Portals will be controlled in the sense that they will have different levels of access. The portals from Avlis to Hala and Travelers (that place has a name, but it's up to you to discover IC) are fairly easy to find. Getting to the portal to Rockhome takes a bit of effort. In the future other portals may be even more difficult to come across, or may even require a 'key' to enter, like the portals in Sigil in the old Planescape campaign setting for AD&D (this thing about keys is pure speculation on my part).

Also realize that Avlis will not be a CoPaP hub - some portals to other worlds may not even exist here. So to get to Abyss404 you may very well have to go to Hala, or Mystara, or even EA.
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: Lafferty » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:05 am

so what about an ic group that enforces tolls for passing a portal?

I think a thing like this might exist in an rp setting but really think i would not like to see something like that in copap unless there are alternative ways to the world...
Tool for crafters Do you want some human to your salt? nomanisanisland.monolar.de
Lafferty
Scholar

Location: look at my hands... they are HUGE. And they cant touch themselves...

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:07 am

Do you think any one group could hold back all others from entering? The only way they could is by not telling anyone the portal is in their basement/cave/whatever. Otherwise, people will ignore them, kill them, ect. to get through.
Gilkin> ouch. how often do you roll a 20?
Cath> once every 20 rolls?
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: Demandred » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:45 am

I can clarify a few things here, as far as the Abyss404 is conserned.

1) As all CoPaP worlds are based on RPing, there is nothing a team can do to stop a group of people wishing to guard the portal, enforce tolls etc. It is up to the players to react on such a RPing challenge...

2) In order for a group to have real control over a Portal, the portal has to be locked behind a plot door, something I doubt will happen, as it stands against the meaning of the CoPaP.

3) The Portal can indeed appear anywhere within the CoPaP worlds, there even might be a case of more than one portals connecting one place (example Abyss 404 Layer) to the rest of the planes/worlds.

4) There will probably be a quest or a special "key" as Deider put it, at least on the Abyss404 side of the portal, getting out of the Abyss is not a walk in the park! ;)

I hope this helped. :D

DeMandRed
(Abyss404 Lost Layer Head DM)
Demandred
Scholar

PostAuthor: tindertwiggy » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:34 am

Demandred wrote:I can clarify a few things here, as far as the Abyss404 is conserned.

1) As all CoPaP worlds are based on RPing, there is nothing a team can do to stop a group of people wishing to guard the portal, enforce tolls etc. It is up to the players to react on such a RPing challenge...

Thank you. Honestly people, less rules more rp.
Happiness is baked with one part bat guano, one part sulfur.

tindertwiggy
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

PostAuthor: The Constrainer » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:29 pm

Deider wrote:I doubt it. For example, your example doesn't work very well since no one can really be banished to the Abyss, since there's a portal out. And how could such a banishment be enforced anyway? I don't think any team member would allow a player to be forced to play his character on another server.

Well I think it goes very well with IC consequences. If someone is known for crimes all over Avlis and many of the cities condem that person it would make great RP to be able to banish them to a hellish plane. If the player of that character OOC doesnt want to play on Abyss they can run away or fight the authorities. Bottom line is they would have to go willingly to take the punishment handed down to them.
I just would not like to see the portal to Abyss hidden in an empty cave with people wanting to go to a place like the Abyss. I think there is alot of great RP that can come out of another land that IC no one in there right mind would want to goto.

The Constrainer
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: The Constrainer » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:31 pm

tindertwiggy wrote:
Demandred wrote:I can clarify a few things here, as far as the Abyss404 is conserned.

Thank you. Honestly people, less rules more rp.

If you are refering to IC rules, they are set up to promote more RP.

The Constrainer
Scholar of Fools

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team