Elysia - (0)
M'Chek - (0)
Ferrell - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 5
Gallery

Links Menu

Disparity between concept and implementation in Mikona

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Disparity between concept and implementation in Mikona

PostAuthor: FunkOdyssey » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:10 pm

After the war, the justicars were employed as a regular police force, at which point they began to expand. The first outside nation to realize their use was the Kurathene Empire. The Emperor, Kuras, took them in and allowed them to set up many churches to Toran on his lands. He knew that they would be excellent tools at enforcing whatever laws he made in his dominion, and he was correct. Until the end, Imperial law was enforced by the justicars, without question. Since then, many of them have taken up to serving the local lords, and the rest have started to spread to other nations. In this time period, non-dracon races have joined the organization. In Mikona, the Church of Toran is one of the largest in the city, and the justicars are welcome there.

Note the last sentence I bolded there. In reality, the Church of Toran is literally a hole in the wall, and perhaps the smallest and least grand church in the Temple District. Many people do not even know where it is until I tell them, having overlooked it as an anonymous house/building. Can this be changed to better reflect Orl's original vision here?

Also, there are priests of Mikon, and Dominators of Valok, wandering all around Mikona. I think there are also some priests of Dagath if I'm not mistaken. If the Church of Toran is one of the largest in the city, shouldn't they have more NPC's out and about?

Thanks for considering the issue.

- Funk
FunkOdyssey
Sage

PostAuthor: Starslayer_D » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:54 pm

Maybe we could change the exterior of the temple of angadar from a barn to something a bit more grand, as well?

*g*
ashzz: at the very core of the problem is that good characters and organizations can do much more EVIL in the name of good than evil can do evil.
Daerthe: There is only room for so much realism before things start to get silly

Starslayer_D
Master Sage

PostAuthor: keikobad » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:14 pm

All you have to do is ask your followers to reach deep down into their hearts and pockets....pass that collection basket around.
keikobad
Sage

PostAuthor: FunkOdyssey » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:18 pm

This Church of Toran that is "one of the largest in the city" was here long before any of us PC's hit the scene. The PC followers of Mikon did not have to pay for their nice temple, nor the followers of Valok, and so on. I do not see why we would be singled out and have to purchase a temple of the size and quality that is supposed to already exist.

That also doesn't address the issue of NPC's either.
FunkOdyssey
Sage

PostAuthor: Vroshgrak » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:12 pm

and why isnt there a single druid of dagath NPC in all the wilds?
Vroshgrak
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: Pacific (GMT -8/-7)
DM Avatar: Hurine

PostAuthor: FunkOdyssey » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Stop hijacking my thread you sluts... lol :D
FunkOdyssey
Sage

PostAuthor: Emprod » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:56 pm

Orleron wrote:For Mikona it's about 55% Mikon, 25% Valok, 15% Toran, and about 5% other. Remember this is not a reflection of what the PC breakdown is.

Emprod
Sage

PostAuthor: FunkOdyssey » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:19 pm

So we should have the third largest temple and a few less NPC's than Valok, that would still represent a drastic change from the current state of things.
FunkOdyssey
Sage

PostAuthor: Fifty » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:29 pm

FunkOdyssey wrote:So we should have the third largest temple and a few less NPC's than Valok, that would still represent a drastic change from the current state of things.

We should have this! We should have that!

Listen to yourself man!
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: FunkOdyssey » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:57 pm

Whats your point? Obviously this is all just my opinion, but I wouldnt have brought it up if I didn't think it was reasonable to do so.
FunkOdyssey
Sage

PostAuthor: Sunscream » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:23 am

Fifty wrote:
FunkOdyssey wrote:So we should have the third largest temple and a few less NPC's than Valok, that would still represent a drastic change from the current state of things.

Listen to yourself man!

They should have that.
Sunscream
Master Sage

Timezone: GMT-4

PostAuthor: KinX » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:42 am

Fifty wrote:

Listen to yourself man!

What Funk is pointing out is that Orl said in the World descriptions that Toran has one of the largest temples in Mikona. Personally, i didn't even know there was a church to Toran in Mikona, and i've been playing here for more than a few months.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

This statement is false
KinX
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: Reinstag » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:43 am

I've always wondered why the Sword of Toran is in a different building than their church. All of the other religious organizations are based out of the temple they represent why not these guys?

But Funk is right, there should be more NPCs of Toran wandering around griefing elves. :wink:
Reinstag
Sage

PostAuthor: Aloro » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:45 am

It's a valid point. :)

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: FunkOdyssey » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:48 am

That's not true Rein, the Order of Gorethar has its Hostel in Elysia, separate from the Church. And the Dru'El guys have that place out in the wilderness, which I do not believe is a church either.

They are different organizations (Church vs. holy order), and so they are based in different buildings.
FunkOdyssey
Sage

PostAuthor: Reinstag » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:50 am

FunkOdyssey wrote:That's not true Rein, the Order of Gorethar has its Hostel in Elysia, separate from the Church. And the Dru'El guys have that place out in the wilderness, which I do not believe is a church either.

They are different organizations (Church vs. holy order), and so they are based in different buildings.
First, both of those groups are a bunch of power gaming griefers. :wink: So them having multiple locations to house all the stuff they looted from poor, defensless "evil" people makes some sense.

Second, you were talking about Mikona, not some lame other server. :D

Finally, before everyone starts flaming me...

Why is your front door locked?
Reinstag
Sage

PostAuthor: Aloro » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:51 am

FunkOdyssey wrote:That's not true Rein, the Order of Gorethar has its Hostel in Elysia, separate from the Church. And the Dru'El guys have that place out in the wilderness, which I do not believe is a church either.

There's a temple to Dru'El both inside and right across from Dru'El's Rest, and I believe a shrine in each Gorethar chaplet and Hostel.

But you're right, a holy order need not be based out of a temple.

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: FunkOdyssey » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:52 am

lol... We're going to change that Rein, with some renovations to come. Don't worry.

P.S. Whoever put a trap on the front door of the Academy today is going to get it. :P
FunkOdyssey
Sage

PostAuthor: Reinstag » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:30 am

FunkOdyssey wrote:P.S. Whoever put a trap on the front door of the Academy today is going to get it. :P
Helpful Hint: Invest in a disinfectant spray and use it liberaly on the door handle of the SoT building.

As for the trap....

*walks off to see who needs a promotion*
Reinstag
Sage

PostAuthor: Chasman » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:42 am

Reinstag wrote:
FunkOdyssey wrote:P.S. Whoever put a trap on the front door of the Academy today is going to get it. :P
Helpful Hint: Invest in a disinfectant spray and use it liberaly on the door handle of the SoT building.

As for the trap....

*walks off to see who needs a promotion*

Reason for two buildings is simple: One is a temple, the other is a barrack. Two seperate functions, joined together by a common goal.

And as far as the traps go, a certain wizard hit TWO of these traps, and he is most interested in finding out who placed them.
They were both weak little bitch-ass traps, and not worthy of the quality of people that enter those hallowed halls. :P

But Funk has a good point in this thread. Toran is treated as less than a sideshow in Mikona, when in fact it's a major force in the city.

You can go to several areas and find dozens of Valok NPCs. Where as the only way you are going to see Sword members is if you find a PC member of the order.
Chasman
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: FunkOdyssey » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:46 am

Just to be clear, I'm not asking for SoT NPC's here, I'm looking for Church of Toran NPC's, either clerics or justicars.
FunkOdyssey
Sage

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:21 am

Reinstag wrote:I've always wondered why the Sword of Toran is in a different building than their church. All of the other religious organizations are based out of the temple they represent why not these guys?

But Funk is right, there should be more NPCs of Toran wandering around griefing elves. :wink:

Mikon Holy order is based out of the temple as of present because we have no guild building. We have been encouraged by the team to build/purchase one rather than being based out of the temple or renovating the temple. So in due time, it too will not be based out of its temple.

Vergilius

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: Bear » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:41 am

Reinstag wrote:

First, both of those groups are a bunch of power gaming griefers. :wink: So them having multiple locations to house all the stuff they looted from poor, defensless "evil" people makes some sense.

I'll tell ya what. We'll trade everything we've got for 1/10th of what you and your team of pickpockets reap in. :lol:

Bear
Bear
Scholar

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team