M'Chek - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Total players: 6
Gallery

Links Menu

Boxing?

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Boxing?

PostAuthor: caunfael » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:32 pm

I have seen archer contest in a barn in elf gate, that was sweet...

another thing would be if a contest in boxing was inplanted..
mabye just a cellar with a ring, and a place to sit and watch..

i think theres a very nice thing in the toolset that can be used to this....

1 judge with healers kit that can revive the oponant when he fell down, and maybe a prize, the wievers may bet money on whom the winner is, and the winner gets some....
TAKASI

caunfael

Re: Boxing?

PostAuthor: kombinat » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:35 pm

caunfael wrote:I have seen archer contest in a barn in elf gate, that was sweet...

another thing would be if a contest in boxing was inplanted..
mabye just a cellar with a ring, and a place to sit and watch..

i think theres a very nice thing in the toolset that can be used to this....

1 judge with healers kit that can revive the oponant when he fell down, and maybe a prize, the wievers may bet money on whom the winner is, and the winner gets some....

There's a boxing ring in Coventry Fair in Ferrell, I believe, with special gloves for it.. haven't tried it, but give it a shot and see what you think :)
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

kombinat
Team Member; Retired with Honors

DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:36 pm

If there is interest, there might be a competition tonight from about 20:00 GMT in Ferrell - part of the County Fair.
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Dralix » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:43 pm

You mean tomorrow?

Dralix
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:54 pm

Nighthawk4 wrote:If there is interest, there might be a competition tonight from about 20:00 GMT in Ferrell - part of the County Fair.

Oops - I meant tomorrow. :oops:

Sorry about that.
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Fire Monkey » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:09 pm

I was there and there was a little improptu (sp?) boxing contest between a few people . I arrived late so I am not sure who easy it was to organise at the begining. But I watched a little and it was great fun. You need a bit of a crowd to make ohh and ahh noises though.

p.s. If Jillanae offers to spar with you run away :wink:
p.p.s Though if she strips down to fight again you may be too shocked to do that :shock:
Fire Monkey
Master Sage

PostAuthor: The Sveg » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:21 pm

Boxing? :twisted:

It seems the Social Club will have its second meeting in the days to come!

Aaaah, Jerry, where are you?
"When is this project to start?

I, uh, accidentally did not see that it had not started yet, so tonight i killed all the elysian merchants on the list, and most of the wilderness ones."

Warning: Lawful Evil DM
The Sveg
Sage

PostAuthor: Fifty » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:24 pm

Following the successful initial boxing tournament in ferrell some time ago and the huge interest shown in Bill Burnham's fencing events early plans are already being made for a new boxing tourney to be organised by the SATF

Laen Toille
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: anticybr » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:24 pm

kombinat wrote:There's a boxing ring in Coventry Fair in Ferrell, I believe, with special gloves for it.. haven't tried it, but give it a shot and see what you think :)

Yeah, but at nearly 3 grand for a pair of boxing gloves... ouch.
There is no escape.

anticybr
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:30 pm

anticybr wrote:
kombinat wrote:There's a boxing ring in Coventry Fair in Ferrell, I believe, with special gloves for it.. haven't tried it, but give it a shot and see what you think :)

unfortunately, the toolset adds cost to the gloves when you add properties to them...

you could always get a team together to buy a set and share them... hmm. tag-team boxing... could be fun.. :wink:
You see things and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw
Jordicus

PostAuthor: sly_1 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:36 pm

A couple ooc thoughts:

Have different skill levels that correspond to ooc realities (just to make it fair),

Junior amatuer = lvls 1 - 5, amatuer = 6 - 10, semi pro = 11 - 15, pro = lvl 16 - 20, and gladiator = lvl 20 +

Rules are no items of any sort except non magical clothing, no spellcasting, no potions etc., only natural class abilities, skills, and feats (so things like rage, bard song, etc are kosher).

Have a sign up period of say a week and then hold a contest with prizes. Maybe have the different divisions fighting in different places in order to minimize lag...
I have the strength of a bear that has the strength of TWO bears!

sly_1

PostAuthor: Dralix » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:55 pm

The Sveg wrote:Aaaah, Jerry, where are you?

That's what I was lamenting about IC just yesterday. :(

Dralix
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: anticybr » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:25 pm

Jordicus wrote:
anticybr wrote:

unfortunately, the toolset adds cost to the gloves when you add properties to them...

you could always get a team together to buy a set and share them... hmm. tag-team boxing... could be fun.. :wink:

Hell, I'll probably end up buying a pair next time I run through that area just to see what they do :)
There is no escape.

anticybr

PostAuthor: Fifty » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:30 pm

Laen has two pairs already 8)
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Lycanthropy » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:53 pm

Y'know, there is a man out there, who can make all your boxing tournament dreams come true!

His name is Bill Burnham! If you really want to see this come to fruition, and maybe make some money out of it (I'd lave to see something like this, frankly, and some others would I'm sure), why not discuss it with Dirk Cutlass?

Or, of course, there's Social Club. But we don't talk about that. 8)

-Lyc.
Silver Fox - "it's like Friedrich Nietzche started doing steroids and drag."

Lycanthropy

Timezone: GMT-6
DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: Fifty » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:09 pm

Lycanthropy wrote:Y'know, there is a man out there, who can make all your boxing tournament dreams come true!

His name is Bill Burnham! If you really want to see this come to fruition, and maybe make some money out of it (I'd lave to see something like this, frankly, and some others would I'm sure), why not discuss it with Dirk Cutlass?

Or, of course, there's Social Club. But we don't talk about that. 8)

-Lyc.

Fencing is Dirk's baby. Laen will be helping with that .

Boxing is Laen's baby, but it will be after the fencing.
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:09 pm

I have an issue with the boxing gloves I saw. Are they intended to ruin the day for casters? It is bad having to rememorize most of your spell book just for putting some gloves on. The gloves I saw had far far too many unnessasary abilitys on them, none of which actualy stopped the winner from killing the fallen.

Unfortuneately, I believe that even setting the gloves to 'no melee damage' still does melee damage.
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:13 pm

IIRC, the only positive attribute of the gloves is a chance to Knockdown. the rest of the attributes were all negatives.

I'll have to double check though.
You see things and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw
Jordicus

PostAuthor: Drakuul » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:01 pm

I was there and there was a little improptu (sp?) boxing contest between a few people . I arrived late so I am not sure who easy it was to organise at the begining. But I watched a little and it was great fun. You need a bit of a crowd to make ohh and ahh noises though.

Fairly easy to organise, although the lag due to the fair was making it difficult

p.s. If Jillanae offers to spar with you run away

Don't know what you mean :) She's just a defenceless kitten

p.p.s Though if she strips down to fight again you may be too shocked to do that

Shocked? Breathless was what she was aiming for....

As far as I recall, the only positive side to the gloves are On hit stun dc 14 - the no melee damage thing only applies to the random factor (Str damage, sneak and power attack all add on seperately)
Drakuul
Sage

PostAuthor: Fifty » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:07 pm

I think the issue is tha th e -5 intelligence modifier means mages will unlearn all of their spells as soon as they put the gloves on.

...As it shoudl be IMO. :) Rush of blood to the head, several hard blows... Of course they will forge their spells. :twisted:
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:23 pm

stun. yeah that was it.. seriously, I tried my best to make the gloves so that you would have the feel of a RL boxer... the potential to stun your opponent, padding on the gloves which make if harder to injure your opponent, a temporary loss of intelligence... :twisted:
Jordicus

PostAuthor: GISteve » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:38 am

ya, it was organized fairly quick, actually started with a "I'll box ya for it" (auction item), some confusion over who requested the match, so there was qualifying match first then the final. was a good time.
GISteve
Scholar of Fools

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team