Total players: 4
Gallery
  • Ebony Order
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:04 am

Links Menu

Question: Unlocking prestige classes

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Question: Unlocking prestige classes

PostAuthor: Dirk Cutlass » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:43 am

I understand people can not take a prestige class (whilst on Avlis) unless they have done a special quest. I think quests exist for Shadow Dancer and Arcane Archer IIRC.

Also, apparently, there is maybe some bug (or loophole) with whatever mechanism was used to prevent taking a prestige class before the special quest was done.

I also heard that a DM can personally allow you to take a prestige class (using DM wand?), presumably after some appropriate RPing of the situation with an NPC.

So, here are the questions:
1) Whether it is scripted quest or DM wand - what is it that actually "unlocks" the prestige class so that you can take it? Is it just some persistent variable that is set somewhere?
2) Does taking the quest or speaking with the DM mean that you have to take the prestige class?
3) When can the prestige class be "unlocked" - is there any restriction? For example, it might take me 4 levels before I can take a PrC, but can I take the quest now?
4) Considering that my chosen PrC quest will probably not be implemented for a while - is it difficult to get a DM to agree to waving his magic wand for you? I mean that in too respects; a) are DMvery willing / keen to do this sort of thing; b) are they likely to set some appropriatley tricky task for us to do?

Thanks.
Dirk Cutlass
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: maelwydd » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:53 am

I did the quest and actually got to the next level about 10 days after completing the quest. I could not take the level but had to return to the guy and getting him to teach me again. this resolved the problem so it must be a variable somewhere I presume.

p.s. I love the Prestige class btw. :D
maelwydd
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Dirk Cutlass » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:55 am

maelwydd wrote:I did the quest and actually got to the next level about 10 days after completing the quest. I could not take the level but had to return to the guy and getting him to teach me again. this resolved the problem so it must be a variable somewhere I presume.

p.s. I love the Prestige class btw. :D

Which one did you go for in the end ? Hmm.. maybe I shouldn't ask ;)
Dirk Cutlass
Elder Sage

Re: Question: Unlocking prestige classes

PostAuthor: Sindol » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:07 pm

Dirk Cutlass wrote:1) Whether it is scripted quest or DM wand - what is it that actually "unlocks" the prestige class so that you can take it? Is it just some persistent variable that is set somewhere?

It's a local variable, so it will only last as long as your playsession. It is set to disallow when you log in by default and is overwritten by DM wand or quest scripts.
Dirk Cutlass wrote:2) Does taking the quest or speaking with the DM mean that you have to take the prestige class?

No, but bothering the DM about something you don't want in retrospect is considered bad form. Please consider carefully before doing so.
Dirk Cutlass wrote:3) When can the prestige class be "unlocked" - is there any restriction? For example, it might take me 4 levels before I can take a PrC, but can I take the quest now?

You can take the quest now (if you don't have the requirements you probably won't be able to finish the quest completely), but as Maelwydd said and I stated under point 1: you'll have to go back to "the guy" once you're ready to level up. Don't bother asking a DM unless you're ready to level in a class.
Dirk Cutlass wrote:4) Considering that my chosen PrC quest will probably not be implemented for a while - is it difficult to get a DM to agree to waving his magic wand for you? I mean that in too respects; a) are DMvery willing / keen to do this sort of thing; b) are they likely to set some appropriatley tricky task for us to do?

DMs are supposed to provide a suitable quest for PCs wanting a PrC that doesn't have a scripted quest yet. Mind that there is no obligation on the DM to do this for you; it is a favor.
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
Sindol
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Re: Question: Unlocking prestige classes

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:26 pm

Sindol wrote:
Dirk Cutlass wrote:1) Whether it is scripted quest or DM wand - what is it that actually "unlocks" the prestige class so that you can take it? Is it just some persistent variable that is set somewhere?

It's a local variable, so it will only last as long as your playsession.

Hmm...i see a potential problem then: i did the AA-quest a while back, but didn't take any levels in AA. Last week i came there again, but the NPC wouldn't give me the quest-starting-dialogue again. Does this mean i cannot do the quest again, or that it's now permanently active, like the Fanos-apple-wheat quest?
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.

Everybody Loves Paula (tm)
Khaelindra
Contributor

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Cath » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:37 pm

This sounds strange as I did the quest and got the level two weeks later.
I had to go back and talk to her to level but I didn't have to do the quest again.

So permanetly active sounds about right...
Cath
Scholar

PostAuthor: Sindol » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:39 pm

It could be that the scripters have converted this system to use persistent variables by now. In that case you won't have to go back anymore to "revive" your local variable when you're ready to level up. I'm afraid a scripter or quest builder should answer that question though.

My answers above are to the best of my knowledge, but it's always possible I have missed some of the numerous innovations people come up with all the time.

BTW, I'm moving this thread to the "Ask the team" forum, since it obviously precisely that.
So much fun,
- Sindol
Sindol

PostAuthor: Sindol » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:41 pm

What Cath is posting is what I meant with my explanation: you will only have to do the quest once. That was always the case.

Last time I checked you still had to go back and talk to the quest giver to have the local variable refreshed from the database.
So much fun,
- Sindol
Sindol

PostAuthor: Dirk Cutlass » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:49 pm

Thanks Sindol.

This next bit is a daft question... but presumably once you have gained your 1st level in the PrC you can take additional levels without having to do the quest each time?

Told you it was a dumb question - can't believe I asked that :roll:
Dirk Cutlass
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Sindol » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:54 pm

Dirk Cutlass wrote:Thanks Sindol.

This next bit is a daft question... but presumably once you have gained your 1st level in the PrC you can take additional levels without having to do the quest each time?

To quote an old proverb: "The only dumb question is the one you don't ask."

Yes, once you have a level in a PrC you can freely continue advancing in it, even on other CoPaP worlds.
So much fun,
- Sindol
Sindol

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:16 pm

Sindol wrote:
Dirk Cutlass wrote:Thanks Sindol.

To quote an old proverb: "The only dumb question is the one you don't ask."

Yes, once you have a level in a PrC you can freely continue advancing in it, even on other CoPaP worlds.

Remember Neldor Swiftstring got his AA-level in the very short period a while ago before it was locked out? Even then he could keep on advancing in the class...once you have a (prestige-)class, you can gain levels in it as long as you meet the requirements. :)
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.

Khaelindra
Contributor

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:21 pm

Umm.. I'm interested in the AA class at the moment, but have not been able to find any clue as to where the starting quest is for this. Can someone give me a hint on where to look? (I'm not asking for details, just a general location, such as LeOr, Mikona etc.)

ta
THIS IS NOT A FREE HAIRCUT

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:32 pm

Quiz001 wrote:Umm.. I'm interested in the AA class at the moment, but have not been able to find any clue as to where the starting quest is for this. Can someone give me a hint on where to look? (I'm not asking for details, just a general location, such as LeOr, Mikona etc.)

ta

From the prerequisites:

* The class can only be taken by Elves and Half-elves

* You need to know how to cast Arcane spells

8)

Oh, and don't even try it when you don't fullfill the third prerequisite...+6 BAB...it's not a cakewalk. Better yet...team up solidly. :D

Gary Gygax wrote:

Khaelindra
Contributor

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:31 am

Quiz001 wrote:Umm.. I'm interested in the AA class at the moment, but have not been able to find any clue as to where the starting quest is for this. Can someone give me a hint on where to look? (I'm not asking for details, just a general location, such as LeOr, Mikona etc.)

ta

There are a small number of AA's running about AVlis now. I'm sure any of us would be willing to show/help you IC. Plus there are numerous other characters who could at least point you to the right server, again IC. I prefer not to post too many details up on the boards.

Vergilius

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:55 pm

From the prerequisites:

* The class can only be taken by Elves and Half-elves

* You need to know how to cast Arcane spells

Already there :D

Thanks Vergilius - fully understand - I'll keep a lookout for AAs.
THIS IS NOT A FREE HAIRCUT

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Arandil » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:07 pm

Unless Aloro updated the code, the variables were local last time I looked. Khalindra, that sounds like a bug, if you cannot talk to the NPC to retrain. But I don't know of anyone else who's seen that particular bug...

Arandil
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Aloro » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:36 pm

Arandil wrote:Unless Aloro updated the code, the variables were local last time I looked. Khalindra, that sounds like a bug, if you cannot talk to the NPC to retrain. But I don't know of anyone else who's seen that particular bug...

No, I left the variables local. So after you complete the quest, you can train immediately, or you can go gain the experience needed, return and talk to the NPC, then train.

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

Pale Master ?

PostAuthor: RRanger11z » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:05 am

I would like to know if there is a quest for pale master and if there is how do i go about persueing it....

Thanks In Advance Cherina....
Cherina Fa'Damas
RRanger11z
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:12 am

It hasn't been implemented yet. Some DMs do individual quests for it though... I've been trying to get on one, but haven't yet.
Gilkin> ouch. how often do you roll a 20?
Cath> once every 20 rolls?
Titanium Dragon
Sage

Re: Pale Master ?

PostAuthor: Dralix » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:29 pm

RRanger11z wrote:I would like to know if there is a quest for pale master and if there is how do i go about persueing it....

Be forewarned that I know of one Pale Master on Avlis right now, and he gets invalid character errors at log in.

Dralix
Silver Contributor

Black Guard

PostAuthor: aceluby1 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:04 pm

I would like to know if there is a quest for Black Guard and if there is how do i go about persueing it....
aceluby1
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: marauder » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:15 pm

Quests should be found by players. Explore and search for the quests yourself. Also remember that if you make an impression RP'ing your character a DM can give any Prc as a quest reward if the DM a) thinks you RP'd your character in a way that followed the PrC and b) they feel like it :D . As always rewards are up to the DM and they give what they feel like giving.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

-Aristotle
marauder
Scholar

Re: Black Guard

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:26 pm

aceluby1 wrote:I would like to know if there is a quest for Black Guard and if there is how do i go about persueing it....

Step 1: Join the Maleki Holy order, ask around IC to find it

Step 2: Prove your worth to them and get their vote

Step 3: Discover the quest IC (when it gets implemented) or earn it as part of a quest reward from a DM. Blackguard is considered the Holy Warrior PrC for Maleki.

Vergilius

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: RRanger11z » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:55 pm

But the question for me still, is does a quest exist for a Pale Master ?

Clearly I don't want It just given to me...

Thank You In Advance: Cherina....
Cherina Fa'Damas
RRanger11z
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: Bear » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:22 am

RRanger11z wrote:But the question for me still, is does a quest exist for a Pale Master ?

*points up*

Titanium Dragon wrote:It hasn't been implemented yet. Some DMs do individual quests for it though...
Bear
Scholar

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team