Total players: 5
Gallery
  • Winter Ball 2015
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:38 pm

Links Menu

Process for changing XP scripts

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Process for changing XP scripts

PostAuthor: Dirk Cutlass » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:44 am

As I understand it XP in Elysia is a it screwy at the moment as the team "have the hood up" and are doing some tweaks to the scripts.

I have a few questions regarding this process:

Is XP modelled anywhere before you start to tweak these things?

An Excel spreadsheet would be perfect for this sort of thing.... Design and test the XP system on Excel model, and then roll it out to scripts (on 1 server). Then all you are testing is the correct implementation of the scripts and not trying to tweak it on the fly. Its called engineering :wink:

Isn't this "change the scripts and see what happens approach" a bit hap-hazard, particularly when its on something as vital as XP.

I wouldn't want to point fingers, but I dare say that more than the usual number of people are doing a bit of farming these last few days :roll: (e.g. crop rats at 1-6 xp all of a sudden amounts to an awful lot of XP).

(I'm probably going to get flamed now, because nobody likes having their working methods questioned... and for all I know you may be doing it right, just hit a bug in the scripts. I apologise for that in advance.)

PS: If you need any help putting together an Excel model of XP system then I could assist if required (not a guru - but certainly quite comptetant).

EDIT: to other posters. I am more concerned with the "process" for making these changes, not the values themselves - there are plenty of other threads around for this. I don't want this thread to turn into another "is this too much/enough/not enough?" thread. I am more concerned with the fact that everytime there's a change things go haywire for a while and all the powergamers gain about 5 levels!
Last edited by Dirk Cutlass on Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dirk Cutlass
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Starslayer_D » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:01 am

Not even farming, but one expedition to the spider king, with 6 people, resulted in ~ 4000 xp total per member. Saome expedition, a day before, would have gotten ~ 700 XP. Changes are immense. We had in levels: 28, 22, 18, 14, 12, 12, 9 in the party. And a 20 for parts, added.

Even low CR creatures gave 1-8 xp to each memebr of the group. That added up, especially in the numbers monsters come after a party.
ashzz: at the very core of the problem is that good characters and organizations can do much more EVIL in the name of good than evil can do evil.
Daerthe: There is only room for so much realism before things start to get silly

Starslayer_D
Master Sage

PostAuthor: ashzz » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:32 am

Starslayer_D wrote:Not even farming, but one expedition to the spider king, with 6 people, resulted in ~ 4000 xp total per member. Saome expedition, a day before, would have gotten ~ 700 XP. Changes are immense. We had in levels: 28, 22, 18, 14, 12, 12, 9 in the party. And a 20 for parts, added.

Even low CR creatures gave 1-8 xp to each memebr of the group. That added up, especially in the numbers monsters come after a party.

might be a tad high. other than that it worked splendidly. mmostly high for the bosses, the spider king gave 240 XP. Though, i would suggest wait for a while and see what happens.
Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.

ashzz
Scholar

PostAuthor: Starslayer_D » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:44 am

Spider king solo gives only 59 XP at lvl 28.

But we two better give the thread back...
ashzz: at the very core of the problem is that good characters and organizations can do much more EVIL in the name of good than evil can do evil.
Daerthe: There is only room for so much realism before things start to get silly

Starslayer_D
Master Sage

Re: Process for changing XP scripts

PostAuthor: Strangg » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:22 pm

Dirk Cutlass wrote:As I understand it XP in Elysia is a it screwy at the moment as the team "have the hood up" and are doing some tweaks to the scripts.

As you understand it or as you have tested and seen it? If you have tested it, we need your feedback in the appropriate forum, if not, then things as you "understand" them probably aren't completely correct.

I have a few questions regarding this process:

Is XP modelled anywhere before you start to tweak these things?

Yes.

An Excel spreadsheet would be perfect for this sort of thing.... Design and test the XP system on Excel model, and then roll it out to scripts (on 1 server). Then all you are testing is the correct implementation of the scripts and not trying to tweak it on the fly. Its called engineering :wink:

We aren't tweakign things on the fly, a lot of discussion and posting of code went into this before anything was put in game, but since you don't have an eye behind the scenes you don't know much at all about our process.

Isn't this "change the scripts and see what happens approach" a bit hap-hazard, particularly when its on something as vital as XP.

It would be, if that's what we were doing, but its not. We don't just pull things out of our ass and throw them into the game and "see what happens".

I wouldn't want to point fingers, but I dare say that more than the usual number of people are doing a bit of farming these last few days :roll: (e.g. crop rats at 1-6 xp all of a sudden amounts to an awful lot of XP).

That's about right, depending on level of course.

(I'm probably going to get flamed now, because nobody likes having their working methods questioned... and for all I know you may be doing it right, just hit a bug in the scripts. I apologise for that in advance.)

PS: If you need any help putting together an Excel model of XP system then I could assist if required (not a guru - but certainly quite comptetant).

Thanks, but belive it or not, we know what we are doing. There seem to be a few spawns/creatures that are broken and give too much xp, but this is not the fault of the xp system. We also need to test the exploitability of the system when it comes to "towing", ie high lvl PC's groupin with low level PC's and running around killing things so the XP is dramatically increased.

~S
Fighters do it face to face, Rogues may do it from behind, Rangers can do it from a distance, Wizards do it from out of nowhere, Clerics may not do it at all, Barbarians may do it in a rage, Sorcerers can do it on a whim, Bards on a note, but Paladins have to pay for it!

"You have a way with words... like a sage with a two-by-four" ~ Ava
Strangg
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Re: Process for changing XP scripts

PostAuthor: Dirk Cutlass » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:31 pm

Strangg wrote:
Dirk Cutlass wrote:As I understand it XP in Elysia is a it screwy at the moment as the team "have the hood up" and are doing some tweaks to the scripts.

As you understand it or as you have tested and seen it? If you have tested it, we need your feedback in the appropriate forum, if not, then things as you "understand" them probably aren't completely correct.
~S

I was simply referring to the other bug thread which seems to be discussing the XP given in Elysia at the moment.

I haven't done any testing myself as I've been too powergaming my way to lvl 10 now that the XPs gone real high. (That was a joke by the way).
Dirk Cutlass
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Aloro » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:00 pm

Before one single change was made, projections were made, the code was tested, rather large amounts of data were collected and analyzed, and the code was subjected to numerous revisions.

Now the code is in live testing. That doesn't mean we threw something randomly out there - it means we're collecting more data, live, and are subjecting those data to more analysis. This will probably result in a few more tweaks before it's completed. Some of the things we're looking for are hard to determine before live testing - e.g. how much experience can a player actually earn in Avlis over time in a given area? That is obviously subject to variables like the respawn rate and encounter CR, and isn't something we could work out solely on paper, granted the immense size of Avlis and sheer number of different encounters.

So no, none of this is haphazard. :)

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team