Total players: 4
Gallery
  • Ebony Order
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:04 am

Links Menu

DMs who have NPCs

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

DMs who have NPCs

PostAuthor: Fifty » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:23 pm

What are the rules for DMs who also have PCs? How do you handle what the PCs do/don't know, are/aren't allowed to do?
Hovering around the edges of polite society
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Scurvy_Platypus » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:51 am

The rules are simple. When we play our characters, we abide by the same rules of OOC info and so forth as other players do.

As DMs we're expected both internally by the other members of the team, as well as externally by the rest of the player base, that we will act in an appropriate fashion.

In certain instances it can be tricky for a player to see how a DM's character might have garnered information. But really just like with any other PCs, DM PCs are involved in organizations and have their friends and contacts. Any questions concerning a DM's conduct either in their capacity as a DM or as a player, and you all know where to send them
Scurvy_Platypus
Scholar

PostAuthor: Vichan Lyonsen » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:15 am

Scurvy_Platypus wrote:The rules are simple. When we play our characters, we abide by the same rules of OOC info and so forth as other players do.

As DMs we're expected both internally by the other members of the team, as well as externally by the rest of the player base, that we will act in an appropriate fashion.

In certain instances it can be tricky for a player to see how a DM's character might have garnered information. But really just like with any other PCs, DM PCs are involved in organizations and have their friends and contacts. Any questions concerning a DM's conduct either in their capacity as a DM or as a player, and you all know where to send them

Scurvy is dead on with this one....When we play our players...we are expected to be able to differentiate between what we (as a DM) know and what we (as a PC know). We are also held to the same standards that apply to all Players, perhaps even more strict ones.

Now keepint your IC and OOC straight really isnt all that hard, leastways I havent found it so...but one thing as a PC of a DM is, you sort of have to expect to undertake a lesser role in events in Avlis. Leastways, you will probably not find yourself in a leading role in a storyline.

This is not to say that your PC is going to be ignored, just that he/she..is less likely to have a storyline form around him/her.
Vichan Lyonsen
CCC
CCC

Timezone: pacific

PostAuthor: Fifty » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:42 am

Just to make it absoolutely plain: I have no problems with any DMs and I have not had the slightest hint of any DMs abusing their position.
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:39 am

One thing I have noticed a number of times is that I have been logged in as a Player and thought 'Hey, that was good RP' and reached for the 'Give Cookie' quickslot - only to find that of course, there isn't one.

Quite often, I make a note and give that Player a Cookie later when I am on as a DM.

The other thing about being a Player is the map is not auto-filled and I can't jump from place to place instantly. :lol:

Returning to the original question, I agree with the answers already given. As a Player, my characters are no different than anyone else's - they get no special treatment, no uber-gear and do not know anything they did not find out IC - even if I have read the details of the current plotline. If anything, my characters tend to take a back seat - partly due to time constraints and partly to ensure that I do NOT do anything or use information that character should not do or know.
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Dirk Cutlass » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:59 am

Well, I'm glad DMs do actually get a chance to play their PCs :) Well, most of them anyway (still missing Deider of Pelar :( )
Dirk Cutlass
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Sindol » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:22 pm

I think Deider of Pelar is still around. In fact last thing I heard he was doing some traveling to other planes. Quite the bold thing to do for such a wuss. :wink:

As some of you may know I still play all of my PCs I've ever created on CoPaP. Lisa is the most active of those three at this time, because I enjoy playing her the most at this time. Like people have said before: this is not that hard to combine with DMing. It's just a matter of keeping your priorities and connections straight. The same thing really as playing two or more characters. You have to remember which one knows what and in doubt assume you don't know.

The thing I can't get used to is that she is so much slower than my DM avatar. Even if I cast haste she won't move as fast as I'd like her to. The one thing that helps, strange as it may sound, is moving even slower, aka walking. :?
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
Sindol
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Deider » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:10 pm

Wuss! He'd smack you silly if he weren't so... wussy. :(

Yup, Deider of Pelar is currently hunting beaver on other worlds. He may be back someday, because the elusive M'Chekian beaver has yet to be found! :)

Just thought I'd reaffirm what everyone else has said. When I play I play, when I DM I DM. Best example off the top of my head: while I ran some of The Gentleman plot as a DM, I also play Gram Jamjeans, a member of the Order of the Dragon, a guild that was trying hard to defeat that evil spirit. One time we had an informal meeting and Jade asked Gram about The G. Gram didn't know anything about him, because in-game he'd never encountered him and had not read any of the tavern posts. So Jade spent a half an hour telling Gram about events that I obviously knew, since I had run them as a DM. Kinda funny, but made total IC sense. At the end of the conversation I tried to give him an XP cookie, because I had forgotten I wasn't using the DM client :wink:
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: KinX » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:36 pm

On a players side, after spending a great deal of time playing on Avlis, you as a player, learns quite a few things in an OOC manner. Maybe someone let somethign slip on the R&R, but these thins happen. Obviously DM's who have active PC's have a great deal more info than your average plaer, but still, things get found out. It's up to everyone to separate what they, as a player, knows and what their PC knows. It's all part of RPing.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

This statement is false
KinX
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: Fifty » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:15 pm

KinX wrote:On a players side, after spending a great deal of time playing on Avlis, you as a player, learns quite a few things in an OOC manner. Maybe someone let somethign slip on the R&R, but these thins happen. Obviously DM's who have active PC's have a great deal more info than your average plaer, but still, things get found out. It's up to everyone to separate what they, as a player, knows and what their PC knows. It's all part of RPing.

I have the problem of knowing some stuff IC, other stuff OOC and a whole bunch of stuff IC that no-one would ever believe I actually know IC, which makes life a touch awkward on occasion.
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team