Total players: 8
Gallery
  • Helbyssia Final Battle
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: krackq
    Uploaded: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:59 am

Links Menu

The new God, Portfolios and roleplaying

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

The new God, Portfolios and roleplaying

PostAuthor: kagouro2003 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:24 pm

Don't want to cause any trouble of course, especially since I welcome the change, but since now a new God of Healing and Peace exists, how can the Order of Life go about?

I have roleplayed Victoria as a rather peaceful girl with a will to heal all the people around, no matter what their beliefs are. I guess that would be what the priests of the new God do too.

I know we have a few differences of belief, for once Victoria doesn't think that Death and killing is an Evil thing (if done properly by the priests of the Order of Death of course). The question concerns the matter of portfolios. Has Dagath lost the specific portfolio of Healing?

I have stayed true to Dagath, with great cost, because I felt I had no real IC reasons to leave my church and faith for another, no matter how good that other faith suited me. To me it fealt like breach of faith and the person doing such a thing would lack dependability. (I had in mind Adon's transfer to the church of Mystra in the Avatar Trilogy - for those of you who haven't read it, it's a blast - and even that sounded more justified than me leaving the Order of Life).

Unless Healing is no longer the Domain of Dagath, in which case I will have to re-evaluate.

Please elaborate.

kag
?I know God won?t give me anything I can?t handle. I just wish He didn?t trust me so much.? - Mother Theresa
kagouro2003
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Aloro » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:56 pm

The order of Life:
By and large, the Life clerics are good aligned. They see the cycle of life as their pervue, they oversee marriages and supporting people in their day to day life. They would look upon undead as an abomination, beings that have fallen out of their cycle. These priests are those that see to the helpless, the poor and the hungry

Dagath was never God of Healing. That was never his sphere of influence.

If you look at the suggested domain list, several gods have Healing as one of their preferred domains (e.g. Berryn, Dagath, Kelvos, Mikon, O'Ma, Vorin). That doesn't make them Gods of Healing - it's just a reflection of the kinds of powers they grant their followers.

Life clerics have plenty of other things to do - e.g. help out with birth control, take a population census, perform marriages, career counseling, charity work, etc. Their interest is in how we progress through life. They might choose to heal others out of respect for life, but that's something practiced by followers of many Gods, for various reasons. Paladins of Gorethar heal people, too, as do Druids of Dru'El.

As Orleron said, when a new God arises, people who were drawn to that God's sphere of influence (e.g. Healing) but couldn't previously find an exact match (because no such deity existed) will often feel the call of the new God, and might in some cases reevaluate their existing faiths. But that has to be a personal choice for each PC, and there's no wrong answer.

kaguoro wrote:I know we have a few differences of belief, for once Victoria doesn't think that Death and killing is an Evil thing (if done properly by the priests of the Order of Death of course).

Heh. Cha'reth became a pacifist at the end of his life, but that's not a requirement for his followers. Check my sig.

- Aloro
Last edited by Aloro on Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: kagouro2003 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:02 pm

Damn, I knew I couldn't lawyer myself out of this one. Had to give it a try though :D

Answer makes perfect sense of course. I hope you don't mind me talking of peace and healing people in the name of Dagath. It's not meant as disrespect.

Thanks
kagouro2003
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Aloro » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:07 pm

kagouro2003 wrote:Answer makes perfect sense of course. I hope you don't mind me talking of peace and healing people in the name of Dagath. It's not meant as disrespect.

Anybody can pursue peace and healing, without needing to worship Cha'reth to do so. Just like anyone can enjoy lying or arcane research without needing to worship Angadar. However, it's good to keep track of your focus and make sure it remains within your God's demesne. Life clerics should always be more concerned with Life than with Healing and Peace. If that's not the case, something should change.

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: The Sveg » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:11 pm

Since I am certain Kag would ask this...

Define Life. :D
"When is this project to start?

I, uh, accidentally did not see that it had not started yet, so tonight i killed all the elysian merchants on the list, and most of the wilderness ones."

Warning: Lawful Evil DM
The Sveg
Sage

PostAuthor: Vanor » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:21 pm

One of the major differences between the Order of Life and Followers of Cha'reath would be, that a follower of Cha'reath would be intersted in keeping people alive for as long as possible. Where as a Order of Life cleric would only try to keep people from dieing before their proper time.

Cha'reath is a fairly focused demigod, he's interested in peace and healing... Dagath's life order is interested in all aspects of life, from birth until the very end, where the order of death takes over.

So things like jobs, marage, birth, healing, ect... All would be interests to a cleric of Dagath.

I don't think there's any reason for Victora to swich faiths simply because Cha'reath is now the god of healing. But if she were to do such a thing, I don't think Dagath would be all that offended either.
Vanor

PostAuthor: choraldances » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:25 pm

Yes, Kag, please tell us what is the meaning of life?

hehehe
choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Aloro » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:26 pm

Life (noun)

The physical, mental, and spiritual experiences that constitute existence.

- Aloro
Aloro

PostAuthor: Aloro » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:35 pm

The Ask The Team forum is a place for people to ask and receive actual useful information about the world. If you want to joke around, or spam, that's great - there are plenty of other forums for that.

I'll delete posts if necessary, in order to keep these threads readable and helpful. Just focussed discussion here, please.

- Aloro
Aloro

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:41 pm

To try and head off Kag's question himself...would a follower of Cha'reth defend ALL life? Avoid encounters, not throw deadly spells, etc? Or just the nice life like humans elves and hobbits, and merrily slaughtering all orcs who MIGHT ever get to kill someone in the name of protecting life?
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.

Everybody Loves Paula (tm)
Khaelindra
Contributor

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Aloro » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:49 pm

Followers of Cha'reth are encouraged to pursue their own means to Peace and Healing (thus the Chaotic part of Cha'reth's CG alignment). They are not required to be pacifists, but should always seek to serve the causes of Peace and Healing. If there's a rabid dire bear slaughtering commoners, does it make more sense to stop the bear, or to keep healing the commoners as the bear continues? There's room for both approaches in the church. Personal choice is key.

- Aloro
Aloro

PostAuthor: kagouro2003 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:15 pm

I'll second Aloro's attitude on killing even for the Order of Life. I started Victoria with the notion that intelligent life forms had an advantage over non-intelligent life forms, passive life forms over aggressive ones and as a minor note, good ones over evil ones. With all the custom races however (goodly ogres, friendly kobolds etc.) and bearing in mind that Death and Life are not opposites but members of the same cycle all this "advantage system" has gone obsolete. Now it's a matter of personal choice, of whom to help in Life, bearing in mind that ALL deserve Life same as ALL deserve Death, that betraying one's partner to heal an enemy may seem correct but it will have disastrous implications in the church's credibility, that each Order has a special goal (one can't expect of a cleric of the Order of Life to kill indiscriminately - not that a cleric of the Order of Death would do so, but at least in that case one can hope)and that clerics of any Order in Dagath's have high Wisdom and a certain amount of Divine Guidance.

To make a long story short, each Dagathite can do as he sees fit as long as the Orders don't contradict each other. If this happens, it will have to be dealt within the church.

And I wasn't joking with this thread. I believe it IS complicated, though now it's perfectly clear to me and though I will assist the church of Chareth in Healing, I now have time to open myself to the rest of Order of Life's portfolios, stuff that I couldn't do by concentrating on healing.

1st priority would be of course my friend Sveg's question: What is Life :)
?I know God won?t give me anything I can?t handle. I just wish He didn?t trust me so much.? - Mother Theresa
kagouro2003
Scholar of Fools

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team