Total players: 6
Gallery
  • Pages of the Book
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:04 am

Links Menu

New player attrition rates

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

New player attrition rates

PostAuthor: Lasher » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:18 pm

I was curious if anyone knows what the attrition rate of players is - particularly of new players. Basically, something like a new person has x% chance of lasting a week/y% chance of lasting a month/z% chance of completely abandoning RL in favor of Avlis :D This may not be a stat that is kept, bu I've become curious about it of late.

Lasher
Scholar

Re: New player attrition rates

PostAuthor: Tahni » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:24 pm

Lasher wrote:I was curious if anyone knows what the attrition rate of players is - particularly of new players. Basically, something like a new person has x% chance of lasting a week/y% chance of lasting a month/z% chance of completely abandoning RL in favor of Avlis :D This may not be a stat that is kept, bu I've become curious about it of late.

Most become addicts I believe........... *rubs hands, reads the boards again* I can go 3 days without it, must work, must concerntrate *opens browser and reads boards again*
Nothing's forgotten, nothing is EVER forgotten
Tahni
Sage

Timezone: GMT+0

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:34 pm

Most play once or a few times then leave in my experience.

A few stick around longer. I think that if you make it past the month mark you're pretty likely to stay for quite a while.
Gilkin> ouch. how often do you roll a 20?
Cath> once every 20 rolls?
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:28 pm

Titanium Dragon wrote:Most play once or a few times then leave in my experience.

A few stick around longer. I think that if you make it past the month mark you're pretty likely to stay for quite a while.

Yeah, I'll echo this sentiment. As someone who goes out of his way to meet and greet newbies and make their adjustment into the world pleasant, I've seen a lot of people play just a bit then take off. Personally, I'd like to know the stats too, since I know the team logs an awful lot of things and I'm sure this could be deduced from the information.

Vergilius
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: Daerthe » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:34 pm

Titanium Dragon wrote:Most play once or a few times then leave in my experience.

I'm in trouble then...about to hit the two month mark. And I often blow off homework in favor of Avlis. Hmm...thanfully college isn't that hard. :P

Daerthe
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: EST

PostAuthor: Lasher » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:51 pm

Vergilius wrote:

Yeah, I'll echo this sentiment. As someone who goes out of his way to meet and greet newbies and make their adjustment into the world pleasant, I've seen a lot of people play just a bit then take off. Personally, I'd like to know the stats too, since I know the team logs an awful lot of things and I'm sure this could be deduced from the information.

I have been trying to do the same as you Vergilius. From my experience, I would guess the number of low level characters (1st and 2nd) that I see twice would be 25-50%. You can tell the hooked people when they break level 4 or so :)

Lasher
Scholar

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:49 am

that is one of the reasons we are currently working on a "newbie beautification" program so to speak..

...which is little changes to help the newbies... even as simple as the change that was made in Mikona to have the start tent put you in the Romini instead of the City Gate Inn. the reason for this was the number of newbies that left the Inn and then decided to wander out the City Gates simply because they were right in front of them.. besides it dumps the newbies into the marketplace which goes a long way to help them as well..

that's why feedback & suggestions are always helpful.. :P
You see things and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw
Jordicus

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:53 am

Lot of folks are going to try and find out that they cannot handle low exp. However that sounds, I have seen it a few times. Nothing wrong with it, Avlis is just not meant for everyone. Folks that just cannot get into roleplay instead of casual OOC talk all the time are not going to enjoy here either. That is just how it goes. Donot think of it as loseing poeple, think of it as retaining those who will be happy here.
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Melakin Skywieder » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:09 am

Wow...

I agree with Wrath :shock:

:wink:
If money it the root of all evil, I want to be a bad man!

Melakin Skywieder

PostAuthor: Jhevon » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:48 am

Vergilius wrote:Yeah, I'll echo this sentiment. As someone who goes out of his way to meet and greet newbies and make their adjustment into the world pleasant, I've seen a lot of people play just a bit then take off. Personally, I'd like to know the stats too, since I know the team logs an awful lot of things and I'm sure this could be deduced from the information.

And I'd like to know what the rate of attrition is for newbies who are "met and greeted" by Vergillus vs those who aren't!

;)

Jhevon

Jhevon
Silver Lifer

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: Xeo » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:27 am

Been on Avlis now for 3 months and i am not going any where..... :twisted:

I dont play any other games or do any other hobbies......... As i need a car eg fishing, golf, football. <-------- Do miss these sports but owning a car is to much in the UK.
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

Timezone: UK

Newbie here....

PostAuthor: hrpatton » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:25 pm

I'm a newbie, and while I absolutely love the RP environment of Avlis, I must confess to being daunted by the very low xp.

In a heavy-RP setting, I tend to do less fighting and leveling than in an action setting, so the xp pinch is even more pronounced in Avlis than the numbers would imply. It's a double whammy: low xp combined with less time spent gathering xp.

Realizing that I have to kill 1000 low-level monsters to reach second level gives me pause.

hrpatton
Whiney Peasant

Re: Newbie here....

PostAuthor: Deider » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:32 pm

hrpatton wrote:Realizing that I have to kill 1000 low-level monsters to reach second level gives me pause.

You could also craft, or take part in the many scripted quests. This will get you to second level much faster than combat, though the players can tell you that better than I.

You could also just roleplay, and watch the XP cookies roll in! Okay, maybe roll isn't the operative word, but...
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: Spell Singer » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:03 pm

As a long term player let me add a few words on the 1st-2nd level transition phase.

1. it is much easier now then it was in the past.
2. you are not supposed to do it by combat, or at the very least combat should be the least of it and you should do that combat in groups.
3. there a great number of fed-ex quests. Those quests will get you from 1st-2nd in a reasonable number of hours but more to the point they will also get you to know the world you are going to be living in.
4. RP cookies will not make up much of your xp on avlis, sad but true. But they won't hurt. And at 1st level 2 50 xp cookies is a lot of the way to lvl 2.
5. RPing with other characters is likely to lead to more xp eventually then what you loose timewise.
6. crafting would help but I think that you should look into the world a bit before starting this (personal opinon here).
7. most players will help you a lot. Money, the odd potion and so on. If you make the effort to RP a bit and it will not hurt for you to find out what is going on in Avlis by talking to the people.

Others can make other comments I am sure but rather than looking at how long it takes, look at it as indication of how much there is in Avlis and consider that time as what it is: a learning experience.

Spell Singer
Sage

PostAuthor: Melakin Skywieder » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:33 pm

What Spell Singer said is bang on :)

If you're really concerned about making lvl make sure you start in the newbie friendly areas. It certainly is a lot easier than it was a year ago.

Thinks back to being a second lvl character trying to help out during one of the first sereg attack in Mikona :shock:
If money it the root of all evil, I want to be a bad man!

Melakin Skywieder

Thanks....

PostAuthor: hrpatton » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:11 pm

Thanks for the tips folks.

Part of the frustration comes from the fact that first-level characters die so easily. I stumbled into the slums in Mikona at one point, and died in one hit to an enemy I didn't even see. I'm still not sure what it was. '-)

The difference between first and second level in D&D is huge. The additional hit die is especially crucial, as it helps stave off those one-hit deaths. Even a lowly +1 BAB doubles one's chances of hitting the highest armor class one was capable of hitting at first level.

I also have a very low tolerance for FedEx quests. I hate them in single player games, as they tend to break the suspension of disbelief for me. Why am I getting experience for taking a dagger across town for a complete stranger, or bringing some stoner kid a mellowweed?

Difference in players, I suppose. I'll adjust. If anyone sees Jard Lanner the penniless cleric of O'ma in-game, give me an OOC hello!

hrpatton
Whiney Peasant

Re: Thanks....

PostAuthor: Vanor » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:34 pm

<--- Is O'Ma's holy symbol...

hrpatton wrote:Why am I getting experience for taking a dagger across town for a complete stranger, or bringing some stoner kid a mellowweed?

Silk explaned this once very well IMO. You aren't getting exp's for taking a dagger across town. You are however gaining experance by learning your way around the city. What area's to avoid, where the shops are, where imporant NPC's are, ect... You're learning about the world which is what experance really is all about. :)

If anyone sees Jard Lanner the penniless cleric of O'ma in-game, give me an OOC hello!

If you're a cleric of O'Ma, you're in the wrong city. ;) Come to Elysia, the city formed by the Champions of O'Ma, and home to the Order of O'Ma, and the growing chain of Mc'O'Ma's with their tasty Mc'OM'a burgers.

On a more serrious note however, as a newbie, and you wouldn't really know this yet, cuse you are new.... If you are a cleric of some sort, your best bet is normally starting in a city that your god has a major presence in.

So a Cleric of O'Ma, Gorethar, Dre'Ana, ect... Are best off going to Elysia where they are very likely to find other followers of their God or Godess. On the other hand a cleric of Valok, Dagath, or Mikon are best off in Mikona.
Vanor

PostAuthor: storminj » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:47 pm

The best way to get up in the world is to team up! Find a couple other lower levels and then hit the slums. Learn to carry invis potions and other items that help in escape. As a team of two your chances triple to survive as long as you carry med kits. With three you go farther. I personally got quite lucky quite a bit as a low level character and that is what hooked me. Just stick to it and talk to people. I have bought many a newb's into sewers, mines, crypts or slums to show around and give chance to earn exp. I always warn them "do not go here with out a good freind watching your back"

I just wish I had more time cause I love helping others.
Captain Friday Alibar of The Good Ship Clandestine
Privateer Extraordinaire of Privateer Enterprises
Sales Representative of FeatherFinger Trading
South Avlis Trade Federation (SATF) Member

"Hey, I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose." Celia OOTS 278
storminj
Sage

PostAuthor: Steve Lacy » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:49 pm

It's been said before so I'll say it again...Elysia is the absolute BEST place to start...Much more Newbee friendly..of course there are Fed-x quests in all the Servers now right? So I guess anywhere you go you will have something to do. Hell even if you want to hack and slash something..(with a group and IC) it can be done in the sewers there. :lol:
Steve Lacy
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: terryrayc » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:56 pm

Well fighting and fed-exing aside, there is one key to Avlis. Remember this is a world built around the idea that RPing is better then leveling. The levels will come, slow but they will come. Talk to everyone you see, learn what areas are safe and for a bit stick to them. If you see a group of players headed out, ask them where they are headed and if it's okay if you tag along. Most if not all players will be more then happy to allow you to travel with them and by being in a group you stand a good chance of making it out alive, more of a chance if you are with the powerful players. I've been on avlis for about 7 or 8 months and I've just now hit level 12, and I've met players who have been on longer and are not even close to that. Remember it's not about leveling it's about having a good time meeting and talking to people.

Oh one last bit of advice, look around for a like minded group of players, likeminded from your characters point of view that is, and seek out to join them. There are a lot of guilds and orders and churches in avlis and by joining them you gain a lot more out of avlis.....that is not to say those playerwhy stick it out solo are missing out, becuase they are not, but there is something to the old saying about strength in numbers. Most groups hold training sessions to aid you in leveling, they will provide better items and equipment and some will keep your supply of healing items overflowing.

Most of all, have fun, try everything and don't worry about dying, it's just another area for you to explore.

terryrayc
Sage

PostAuthor: toxygenie » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:08 pm

Well I started up and some DM helped me out of the pub as I was kind of lost :lol: Meet someother guy (gnome I think, something feet) and DM posesed NPC's...started think that this is great so we when to the City gate pub or something and chatted for a while. Then he had to leave and the next 4 hr's were not so good and very quiet. Had to get the guards to help with the fire beetles (which seemed like a bit of an exploit) and then could'nt find anything to complete....got lots of thing to do though. I'll drop in again someday.

toxygenie

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:32 pm

Its a lie spread by the Elysian authorities; Mikona is easier to start out in unless you are a pansy crafter. :wink: :twisted:
Gilkin> ouch. how often do you roll a 20?
Cath> once every 20 rolls?
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: Daerthe » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:17 pm

hrpatton wrote:If anyone sees Jard Lanner the penniless cleric of O'ma in-game, give me an OOC hello!

Definitely what the others above said is true, Elysia is a much better place for a cleric of O'Ma to call home. When you met Loranna yesterday, she may have mentioned Elysia being a much safer place. If you do come over and see her there, say hi. I'd be more than happy to show you around the city. I know Elysia much better than I know Mikona. :D

Daerthe
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: EST

PostAuthor: Aloro » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:19 pm

Elysia is O'Ma's city, just as Le'Or is Dru'El's and Mikona is Val... err.... Mikon's. :)

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: tha_monsta » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:49 pm

I quite like the slow XP build on Avlis -- and I don't speak from experience, I speak from inexperience. My monk is knocking on the door to 4th level, and it's really exciting. On other servers, you could hit 4th level in a couple of hours... big deal. Here, it means something!

I even think the slow progression is condusive to combat-focused players. The dangers are more real, and you don't just hit 10th level in a couple of days. Now that's hardcore.
tha_monsta
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team