Total players: 2
Gallery
  • Third Imperium Arena Chronicle
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Hamlet
    Uploaded: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:54 am

Links Menu

Question about off-world items

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:16 pm

Yup, that seems fair (crosses Hala permanently off his shopping list) - didn't know about the cross-plane thingy, but if that's the case then it seems to balance with what happened. I suppose I did at least get a couple of weeks use out of most of the stuff (I just hope the 17k gold I paid the guy in Elysia for that rockhome heal-staff vaporises too :twisted: )
THIS IS NOT A FREE HAIRCUT

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Deider » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:24 pm

Quiz001 wrote:Yup, that seems fair (crosses Hala permanently off his shopping list) - didn't know about the cross-plane thingy, but if that's the case then it seems to balance with what happened. I suppose I did at least get a couple of weeks use out of most of the stuff (I just hope the 17k gold I paid the guy in Elysia for that rockhome heal-staff vaporises too :twisted: )

I wouldn't go so far, personally. If you're careful you'll be able to keep off-world items for a long time. Just keep track of which items you get from a different world and don't put them into a persistent chest. I know people who still have items from Mythos, and we haven't been linked with them in forever.

As for dying right before a server reset, well you'd be SOL there :wink:
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:28 pm

Quiz001 wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Titanium Dragon wrote:

100K worth of equipment? How did you afford all that?

Don't ask. I know of at least one other mainly-HALA character that has done no crafting to speak of (came to HALA as lvl 2) and still bathes in wealth. She threw Silk a bone (airship key) without even knowing the girl, not even blinking about the 8K it costs. Silk was level 7 and owned 9K at the time...

Khaelindra - thanks for the vote of confidence there. FYI I only spent around four days on Hala, and like I said, made most of my money from crafting - and no I don't know recipes for any 'big-sellers' either - I just spent a lot of time doing it - the highest price item I can sell is a masterwork sling, or a 10-pack of heal-kits.

:shock:

You are aware that i'm not referring to your character, are you?

It isn't, and whatever it was more of a generic remark on difference in wealth. Yeah, call me a commie... 8)
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.

Everybody Loves Paula (tm)
Khaelindra
Contributor

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Xeo » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:33 pm

Quiz dont DIE my little pansy Elf and all will be a O.K. :lol:
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

Timezone: UK

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:44 pm

Quiz dont DIE my little pansy Elf and all will be a O.K.

Lol... and don't YOU start.. fairy-killer :twisted:
THIS IS NOT A FREE HAIRCUT

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Silk » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:45 pm

I'll just re-iterate. Non-Avlis items will NEVER be added to the Avlis palette.

So, if you die and the server crashes... they're gone.
If you put it in a perstent chest and the server restarts, they're gone.

That's just the nature of the beast, bringing off-world items into Avlis will always entail greater risk of losing them. This will never change.
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: Xeo » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:27 pm

I told you before i sneezed and blew the bugs wings off with a fireball
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Brock Fanning » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:45 pm

There ought to be a general agreement among us that whenever we trade or sell something we KNOW is non-Avlis, we OOC tell the person we're trading to. I've already lost something I traded for and didn't know was non-persistant.
Brock Fanning
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Xeo » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:49 pm

There ought to be a general agreement among us that whenever we trade or sell something we KNOW is non-Avlis, we OOC tell the person we're trading to. I've already lost something I traded for and didn't know was non-persistant

Godd point..... if ya ganna trade something and you know its not Avlis Item base then advise the buyer what it is....
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:51 pm

Depends on how much of a bastard you are. :twisted:

"What, you means that thing I sold you vanished? Aw... that's too bad." Then again, you won't get too many repeat customers that way.
Gilkin> ouch. how often do you roll a 20?
Cath> once every 20 rolls?
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: choraldances » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:53 pm

Xeo Bodacea wrote:
There ought to be a general agreement among us that whenever we trade or sell something we KNOW is non-Avlis, we OOC tell the person we're trading to. I've already lost something I traded for and didn't know was non-persistant

Godd point..... if ya ganna trade something and you know its not Avlis Item base then advise the buyer what it is....

Just ask ICly, where the heck did you get this thing?

I'd ask that if I don't know what it was :)
choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Starslayer_D » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:56 pm

Important question: there are qute a few old Mythos items wich stay stable in chests, or are used by lots of people. Will they be removed from the palette, or stay in there?

And if the get removed, could a warning be issued? It would suck to have all vanish without a chance to save them (ok, mostly some low level trade stock for me, but stil....)

Starslayer_D
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Vanor » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:09 pm

Starslayer_D wrote:Will they be removed from the palette, or stay in there?

Most likely they'll stay there. It was the hell we went though getting mythos items into our pallete that caused the decision to never, ever do that again. I don't however think we'll pull them out now, no real reason to do so... But I could always be wrong.
Vanor
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Fire Monkey » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:14 pm

Sorry to drag this thread back up again. Are the items on the various pallettes you are refering to all custom items created for various worlds? In other words, is there are standard NWN pallette that every world has as default to which they merely add there own items to? Or does everyone just start from scratch.
I just wish to know so that if you get an item (which you are pretty sure is a standard NWN one) on world A then you can be a bit more assured that it will stick around whatever if something happens to you in world B.
Thanks.
Fire Monkey
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Deider » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:30 pm

Fire Monkey wrote:Sorry to drag this thread back up again. Are the items on the various pallettes you are refering to all custom items created for various worlds? In other words, is there are standard NWN pallette that every world has as default to which they merely add there own items to? Or does everyone just start from scratch.
I just wish to know so that if you get an item (which you are pretty sure is a standard NWN one) on world A then you can be a bit more assured that it will stick around whatever if something happens to you in world B.
Thanks.

There are two palettes - the standard one and the custom one.

The standard one contains items from the single-player game. Every persistent world (PW) has these items, though not all of them spawn. So if you buy a standard sling +1 on Hala and then bring it over to Avlis and put it into a persistent chest, it will be in that chest the next time you log in. Because the database recognizes that item's resref, a unique set of letters and numbers that each item has.

Custom items are made be each PW. They are named by each PW, and the resrefs are also named by each PW. If you take a custom item from Hala and put it into a persistent chest on Avlis one of two things will happen:

1. the item vanishes. This means its resref is not in our database, so whenever the server resets it will not have any information for that item so it will no longer show up in your persistent chest.

2. the item changes. This can only happen if that Hala item and the Avlis item share the same resref, which can happen quite often if the items were given a generic resref name like 'item001.' The Avlis database will recognize the Avlis item, so when the server is reset the Hala item will be deleted and the Avlis item will take its place.

Hala's custom items are not in Avlis' database, and vice versa. Nor will they ever be. Avlis already has 5000 custom items, and that number will only increase. We won't burden any other CoPaP worlds by having them add those 5000 items to their palettes.

Right now unless you are quite familiar with Avlis it's probably hard to tell if a custom item you get is Avlis-specific or comes from another world. Use common sense - if you find an item on Hala and it's not standard (this can be checked by opening the toolset and looking at the standard palette), then odds are it's a custom Hala item. Take note and don't put it in a persistent chest.

If you buy a custom item from another character and think it may not be an Avlis item, try sending them an OOC tell asking if it's an Avlis custom item or not.

Right now a lot of Avlis custom items lack descriptions. The team is working on changing that, and if at all possible by the time we go to HotU each and every item in the palette will have a description when you examine it. Some of those descriptions will hint that the item is an Avlis one. Until that time comes, please be patient and careful
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Guest » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:47 pm

Deider,
Thanks for the prompt and succint response. That about clears it up for me.

PostAuthor: Morgoth » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:20 pm

is it not possible to have the description of all items say...

"This items has the markings of the crafters guild from (world name here)"

Sorry it that?s a stupid question or unfeasible.
Morgoth
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:59 am

Nob wrote:As for the alchemists getting the short end of the stick...wtf are you smoking? In case you haven't noticed, our craftables are limited to +1 attack, +2 elemental damage even at level 10, whereas a level 8 alchemist can churn out potions of heal like a factory. PC's will buy these for anywhere from 1500-2000/piece, whereas most of the time we have trouble convincing a PC to buy our equipment once, nevermind in large quantities.

A case of "the grass is always greener on the other side"

First of all, churning out heal potions like a factory is rubbish. I would dein to say that there are only a small handful of people who actually know how much time and gathering it takes for heal potions, and the rest can only speak out their arse. Selling Heal potions to PCs presumes that you actually have PCs to sell to and presumes that they have money for the potions. In actuality, about the only place I can sell potions successfully are the Ferrell fairs.

Vergilius
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: Deider » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:17 am

Morgoth wrote:is it not possible to have the description of all items say...

"This items has the markings of the crafters guild from (world name here)"

Sorry it that’s a stupid question or unfeasible.

It's not a stupid question at all. It's feasible in a lot of cases, not in many others. Your idea works well for some specific weapons and armors.

But what about mellowsmoke weed? What about wedding dresses? And we have other wackier things. In those cases we may need a description more like "Mellowsmoke weed is commonly found growing in the lush meadows of Ferrell. Halflings are famous for their love of a good melloweed smoke." If you're from Hala and you have no idea where Ferrell is, it's a safe bet that this item is not from Hala. This is what I meant by a subtle description.
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Previous

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team