Deglos - (0)
Elysia - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Le'Or - (0)
Total players: 11
Gallery

Links Menu

Question about off-world items

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Question about off-world items

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:06 am

I did a search but couldn't find anything useful on this... so sorry if it's been asked before...

I just had a server crash in Elysia whilst I was on my death plane - on reset I got half my stuff back (no I'm not asking for it - I read the thread on restores). The reason I'm asking is that most of the stuff missing was from Hala (and 1 item I was told was from Rockhome when I bought it). I'm guessing this is the reason it all went missing (*sob* - around 100k worth). If that's the case, is there any plan to 'match' items for all the CoPap worlds in the near future? I know that some off-world items (particularly from Rockhome) have been said to be too powerful, but the stuff I had was only mid-quality at best. I'd go back to Hala tomorrow to shop for replacements, but I don't want this happening again (it hurts!). Any thoughts?
THIS IS NOT A FREE HAIRCUT

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:15 am

No, they won't. Why? Adds too much to the pallette. Avlis has 2000 custom items alone. Add in the rest of CoPaP and you're looking at adding another 5-10MB to every module per world that joins CoPaP.

Solution: don't die.
Gilkin> ouch. how often do you roll a 20?
Cath> once every 20 rolls?
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: sinn » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:26 am

Titanium Dragon wrote:.

what a novel idea :)
you can run all your life, but not go anywhere.
sinn
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: choraldances » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:58 am

It is nearly impossible to keep an updated version of the palette of CoPaP custom items. So, unless we come up with a very easy solution to keep the item palette customized, this will happen. We have no plans of synchronizing all palettes of the CoPaP world.

We have already a hard time trying to sort out all the Avlis stuff in the palette. I'm sorry for your loss.
choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Strangg » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:26 am

bensinn wrote:

Or at least don't die when the server crashes...heh.

~S
Fighters do it face to face, Rogues may do it from behind, Rangers can do it from a distance, Wizards do it from out of nowhere, Clerics may not do it at all, Barbarians may do it in a rage, Sorcerers can do it on a whim, Bards on a note, but Paladins have to pay for it!

"You have a way with words... like a sage with a two-by-four" ~ Ava
Strangg
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:56 am

Strangg wrote:
bensinn wrote:

Or at least don't die when the server crashes...heh.

~S

Just not dying means you don't have the chance of death travel bugs, death plane bugs, respawning bugs, losing items bugs/"features", getting looted, xp loss, ect.

I'd say its a lot easier to just not die, personally. We all know Quiz died on purpose. :twisted:
Titanium Dragon
Sage

Re: Question about off-world items

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:57 am

Quiz001 wrote:I did a search but couldn't find anything useful on this... so sorry if it's been asked before...

I just had a server crash in Elysia whilst I was on my death plane - on reset I got half my stuff back (no I'm not asking for it - I read the thread on restores). The reason I'm asking is that most of the stuff missing was from Hala (and 1 item I was told was from Rockhome when I bought it). I'm guessing this is the reason it all went missing (*sob* - around 100k worth). If that's the case, is there any plan to 'match' items for all the CoPap worlds in the near future? I know that some off-world items (particularly from Rockhome) have been said to be too powerful, but the stuff I had was only mid-quality at best. I'd go back to Hala tomorrow to shop for replacements, but I don't want this happening again (it hurts!). Any thoughts?

100K worth of equipment? How did you afford all that? :shock:
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: Bear » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:03 am

Sweet new avatar Titanium. Never saw it before. Good one.
Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot. - Batman
Bear
Scholar

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:04 am

Okay, thanks for the info guys.... umm.. just an idea though... when a new world joins Copap, how about giving THEM a palette of agreed custom stuff, then they can adjust their stuff to the nearest available before joining, instead of further increasing the discrepancies? Hell, with the number of items already available, there should be enough to cover just about everything.

T.D. - 100ks worth of stuff? Easy - craft/sell, craft/sell ad nauseum - my char is only lvl 6, but he's already lvl 3 herbalist, lvl 3 tailor, lvl 2 armor crafter and almost lvl 2 in woodworking and smithing, selling masterwork slings, healpacks, etc. to the best price shops he can find. A couple of the items were DM-given on Hala though..

*sigh* but every cloud has a silver lining - my team-mate at the time was over the moon about not having to try and retrieve his corpse - it was NOT in a good spot!

Dying deliberately? My char HATES picking those bloody flowers! :evil:

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:12 am

Ummm... just re-read my last post and realized you can't demand a new world agrees to a set of custom items when there IS no agreed set.... doh :? *sits in corner and very slowly counts fingers*

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:27 am

Titanium Dragon wrote:100K worth of equipment? How did you afford all that? :shock:

Don't ask. I know of at least one other mainly-HALA character that has done no crafting to speak of (came to HALA as lvl 2) and still bathes in wealth. She threw Silk a bone (airship key) without even knowing the girl, not even blinking about the 8K it costs. Silk was level 7 and owned 9K at the time... :?

Some just find treasure. It's about being on the right spot at the right time. For instance, those present between 10 GMT and 15 GMT on january 15th found more gold than they could (or should) reasonably carry. :oops: 8)

M.
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.

Everybody Loves Paula (tm)
Khaelindra
Contributor

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:27 am

Bear wrote:Sweet new avatar Titanium. Never saw it before. Good one.

Glad you like it. Its that baby-dragon-in-a-jar. 8)

Yes, I'm obsessed.

Now, if only I could get a really good high-res-shot to make into my desktop...
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:29 am

Khaelindra wrote:
Titanium Dragon wrote:100K worth of equipment? How did you afford all that? :shock:

Don't ask. I know of at least one other mainly-HALA character that has done no crafting to speak of (came to HALA as lvl 2) and still bathes in wealth. She threw Silk a bone (airship key) without even knowing the girl, not even blinking about the 8K it costs. Silk was level 7 and owned 9K at the time... :?

Some just find treasure. It's about being on the right spot at the right time. For instance, those present between 10 GMT and 15 GMT on january 15th found more gold than they could (or should) reasonably carry. :oops: 8)

M.

I mean, I know how to make 60K an hour on Avlis, but I don't, because I think its rediculous. It is possible to get quite rich crafting though...
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: Drakuul » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:37 am

Yep, two of us bought a house costing 2.2 million from crafting.
Drakuul
Sage

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:41 am

That's a lot of grainshots.
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:44 am

Somehow it seems the equilibrium between the AAAA-crafts and the AKN-crafts with regard to how much selling to the bioware merchants netts is a bit off. I seem to hear a lot from weapon/armor crafters that they can make rediculous amounts of gold (like 60K per hour? that's including finding the ingredients?) while i know that a potion, except maybe a HEAL-potion, isn't worth dipshit when sold to a merchant, and only little more when sold to PC's.

I guess it's still in the tuning stage, eventually i expect things to even out a bit.

M.
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.

Khaelindra
Contributor

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:49 am

Nope, 60K an hour is done without any crafting skills and it is possible to get without killing a single person.
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: bandittt » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:24 am

khaelindra wrote:
Somehow it seems the equilibrium between the AAAA-crafts and the AKN-crafts with regard to how much selling to the bioware merchants netts is a bit off. I seem to hear a lot from weapon/armor crafters that they can make rediculous amounts of gold (like 60K per hour? that's including finding the ingredients?) while i know that a potion, except maybe a HEAL-potion, isn't worth dipshit when sold to a merchant, and only little more when sold to PC's.

Um...I have a character the is level 7 or 8 weapons crafter and the best I recieve from merchants is anywhere from 500-1000 gold per piece of armor. They also are extremely heavy and take alot more inventory space than most weapons and alchemy items. So I wouldn't choose armor if you are in it for the money!
bandittt
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:38 am

bandittt wrote:They also are extremely heavy

Funny/weird thing with being overloaded: with a strength of 10, it doesn't matter whether you carry 150 pounds or 5000 pounds...you walk just as fast/slow. Indeed when a plausible maximum weight allowance would be implemented, that would be a factor, but at the moment... :?

Gary Gygax wrote:

Khaelindra
Contributor

PostAuthor: bandittt » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:44 am

I guess what I was getting at was 3 full plates 150 lbs....and walking slow, 30 heal potion....running to the next merchant. I guess it is all in how you look at it.
bandittt
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:39 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Titanium Dragon wrote:

100K worth of equipment? How did you afford all that?

Don't ask. I know of at least one other mainly-HALA character that has done no crafting to speak of (came to HALA as lvl 2) and still bathes in wealth. She threw Silk a bone (airship key) without even knowing the girl, not even blinking about the 8K it costs. Silk was level 7 and owned 9K at the time...

Khaelindra - thanks for the vote of confidence there. FYI I only spent around four days on Hala, and like I said, made most of my money from crafting - and no I don't know recipes for any 'big-sellers' either - I just spent a lot of time doing it - the highest price item I can sell is a masterwork sling, or a 10-pack of heal-kits.

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Caatt » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:55 pm

A little off topic... when you say heal kits do you mean +1 +3 or more, Thanks.

Taylin

Caatt
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:01 pm

Lol... ok - I sell the +1 ones, I keep the +3 to use, and don't know how to make the higher ones yet

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Nob » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:06 pm

Khaelindra wrote:Somehow it seems the equilibrium between the AAAA-crafts and the AKN-crafts with regard to how much selling to the bioware merchants netts is a bit off. I seem to hear a lot from weapon/armor crafters that they can make rediculous amounts of gold (like 60K per hour? that's including finding the ingredients?) while i know that a potion, except maybe a HEAL-potion, isn't worth dipshit when sold to a merchant, and only little more when sold to PC's.

Hmm, I must be using the wrong ingredients then.

The average per day is a bit less than 20k, given the amount of gathering required and initial investment.

If I were to use 4A supply stores(which is FYI, forbidden) yes, I could probably make a bit more than half a million in the space of about 3-4 hours. But that would A. Leave the guild penniless, and B.Well this thought isn't very pleasant, I've given a kill and loot on sight order for anyone abusing our storage.

As for the alchemists getting the short end of the stick...wtf are you smoking? In case you haven't noticed, our craftables are limited to +1 attack, +2 elemental damage even at level 10, whereas a level 8 alchemist can churn out potions of heal like a factory. PC's will buy these for anywhere from 1500-2000/piece, whereas most of the time we have trouble convincing a PC to buy our equipment once, nevermind in large quantities.
Nob
Elder DM
Elder DM

DM Avatar: Dead but still a Dreamer

PostAuthor: Deider » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:06 pm

A little on topic...

It's been said above but I'll reiterate - the CoPaP worlds will never have a single unified item palette. OOC it's just not feasible. IC I've been playing the planar stability angle.

There's an old rule from the 1st Edition Manual of the Planes that states that when a magical item is taken from one plane to another it loses a plus. So a longsword +2 made on a Material Plane becomes a +1 item on the Astral or Ethereal, and a mundane item on the Inner Planes (aka the elemental planes - fire, water, etc.) or the Outer Planes (Elysium, Tarterus, Gehenna, the Beastlands, etc.). This rule was carried over into 2nd Edition AD&D, but I don't know if it's in 3E.

Of course this does not apply to Avlis. If you could somehow take your +3 sword with you to the death plane when you die, it stays +3. If you go to Hala (which is on Ysgard, an outer plane) it stays +3.

But the principle could still apply, which is that items lose stability the further they are from their home plane and thus have a chance to decompose. So when you have the bad luck of dying and having the server reset before you get back to your body on Avlis which is loaded with Hala items, you could think that those items lost their structural integrity and decomposed. Same goes for your persistent chest - that Rockhome amulet you put in there a week ago is gone when you check it today, because it just wasn't stable enough to last on Avlis.

At least, that's how I like to think about it.

Deider

- today's lesson in planar geography brought to you by a gnome who obviously has no life.
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team