Total players: 15
Gallery
  • Helbyssia Final Battle
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: krackq
    Uploaded: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:59 am

Links Menu

Treasure tables

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Treasure tables

PostAuthor: Emprod » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:30 pm

I'm curious about the mechanics of the treasure tables we roll on.

Without giving away TOO much (I enjoy the mystery, I'm sure everyone loves surprises), could a little bit of the mechanics be disclosed?

Some of the decent finds I've had I've discovered later were bioware chests, and I hate the 'cheesy' feeling of that, but I'm really curious what percentage were 'legit' finds.

Also if I'm not mistaken there are 'levels' of treasure containers, I know for a fact there are on standard pallette, but do these exist on Avlis?

Example : Deep Underdark, angry coal thing. I take it all those containers around him are 'level 1', since they yield the standard 300-400 gp, or a gem or potion for my PC. A couple containers to the south yield more gold, say 1000-1500, and I've found things like rods and wands there, or +1 amulets. Are those 'level 2' containers?

Emprod
Sage

PostAuthor: Sindol » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:34 pm

I see this has not been answered to yet in a while, so I'll make an attempt, although I don't know much about them either. Maybe one of the builders that have actually used treasure containers will be offering more insight after this kick-off.

Treasure tables are basically just the lists of which items to spawn when you find treasure, either from an NPC or from a container of sorts. What they spawn is usually just gold and gems and such and the occasional item. How big this chance is: no idea.

I think Avlis has only two levels of treasure spawns, low and high, and the low is pretty much used everywhere, except for some creatures and chests that can be considered ending points to quests. Don't get illusions about the term "high" here, for we are still talking avlis magic levels, which means +3 is very rare to find, but should be just possible for a high level character once in a blue moon. Usually it will be no better than just some more gold or gems or perhaps a +1 or +2 item. DM drops will and should still be better in 99% of the cases.

If you want to do a more statistical analysis on this you might ask some of the high roamers and robbers of chests, or they might be interested in chiming in here with some data (without giving away too much spoilers please). I'm sure Reinstag and White-Raven, to name a few famous ones, have opened many more chests than me on Avlis. :)
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
Sindol
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Aloro » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:56 pm

Sindol's description is accurate. I'll provide a little more information:

There are "low" loot scripts, which create a variety of inexpensive things, such as small amounts of gold, cheap gems, and sometimes unique Avlis items.

There are "medium" loot scripts, which create nicer items, and can yield stuff in the +1 to +3 range. +3 items will very rarely come from loot scripts, and only for high-level characters.

There are "book and scroll" scripts, which create inexpensive magic scrolls and Avlis-specific books (e.g. History of M'Chek).

Then, too, some loot is placed specifically in a given container. E.g. there is a certain place where you will find bones, teeth, and a magic scroll.

Once per server reset, these items will be in their hiding place, for whomever gets there first. This is true for the loot scripts as well as the placed items. Abusing treasure containers by racing there after the server resets is a no-no, and will get you noticed in a Bad Way by DMs. :)

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: Reinstag » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:46 am

I've only found 2 chests that have dropped big loot. One was near the end of the Mistress' lair so, understandably, I didn't open it enough to know if it was consistently a big loot drop.

The other one is easy to get to. No hints. :D

Which brings up a question...
Once per server reset, these items will be in their hiding place, for whomever gets there first. This is true for the loot scripts as well as the placed items. Abusing treasure containers by racing there after the server resets is a no-no, and will get you noticed in a Bad Way by DMs. :)

Is once a week (real life week) a reasonable number of times or should you space it out more? (Assuming looting it in the first place is in character)
Reinstag
Sage

PostAuthor: jadeia » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:01 am

Reinstag wrote:I've only found 2 chests that have dropped big loot. One was near the end of the Mistress' lair so, understandably, I didn't open it enough to know if it was consistently a big loot drop.

That chest was stocked pretty low on default. When I DM'd, Id top it up for the final encounter with the customised items that are floating around, and spawn in the Boss monster myself. At first the door was plot locked aswell, only opened by a DM, but I decided to have it accessable so pc's would have something to try and get to, if I wasnt online.
jadeia
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: KinX » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:44 am

i know of one chest in the wilderness that occasionally gives me a +2 item. Most of the times it gives me +1 items. Of the hundred or so times i've checked that chest, i've gotten a +2 item. Always amulets.

There's another chest in the Wilderness i suspect is high magic, but i've only opened it a few times.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

This statement is false
KinX
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: Sickocrow » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:46 am

I think I know of 3 high level chests. And of the dozebn times I've been near them in the last few months I've found one +3 warhammer and the rest generic loot.

Sicko-
Nighhawk4 wrote:All Hail, oh Mighty Sausage. Hear our prayer, we beseech You, Oh Wondrous Tube of Surplus Meat-related Material.

Sickocrow
Sage

Timezone: GMT+8

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:22 am

Sickocrow wrote:I think I know of 3 high level chests. And of the dozebn times I've been near them in the last few months I've found one +3 warhammer and the rest generic loot.

Sicko-

You actually found a +3 item? :shock:

Wow. :)

/goes off to find some comfry
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.

Everybody Loves Paula (tm)
Khaelindra
Contributor

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Sickocrow » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:37 am

It sure as hell suprised the shit out of me I tell you.

:shock:
Nighhawk4 wrote:All Hail, oh Mighty Sausage. Hear our prayer, we beseech You, Oh Wondrous Tube of Surplus Meat-related Material.

Sickocrow
Sage

Timezone: GMT+8

PostAuthor: Sindol » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:07 am

Unless you were level 18+ (iirc) and extremely lucky it was either:
1. DM spawned (not likely for a +3 weapon, unless it involved a quest as well).
2. An ISD, probably caused by a wrong treasure script on the chest. We would appreciate it if people report these things by mailing them to the team.
So much fun,
- Sindol
Sindol

PostAuthor: White-Raven » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:36 am

I found a greataxe 4 December in Underdark ("lvl 20")

http://www.avlis.org/viewtopic.php?p=182645#182645

A week ago or so, i found a +3 morningstar ("lvl 28"). It was not same chest as last time. The chest that held that axe now has a few 100 gold and a small gem. The chest with morningstar have before hold some middle gems.

White-Raven
Elder Sage

Timezone: CET

PostAuthor: Aloro » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:45 pm

Reinstag wrote:Which brings up a question...

Is once a week (real life week) a reasonable number of times or should you space it out more? (Assuming looting it in the first place is in character)

My personal take on it is this: once a week is probably as often as it can be justified, and even that might be a stretch. More often than once a week smells abusive. But that's my own opinion, and not official.

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: Starslayer_D » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:47 pm

One sword +3, some low stuff (a rod of the ghost, a fw wands).. some chests wich proved to be IDS (all but one removed before I was sure, last one reported to the area builder...), and that's it...

Starslayer_D
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Emprod » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:55 pm

People are confusing ISD and wrong treasure script. Remember the S is Static. Same thing, every time.

I've found things that now, after reading this, I suppose are probably from Bio-chests. Harps of haunting, one given to one of Van's best IC friends, one given to my familiar's favorite bard... should I feel bad? Did they rock the item balance of the world? Nah, but they led to some fun roleplay.

Statics and really good drops -are- a problem, because they'll be farmed.

So how can that be dealt with, without 100% DM presence? Would it be feasible for a DM that logs on and has a little time on their hands, to go around and drop 'interesting' loot, not necessarily high powered stuff, in some of the hard to reach chests? Underdark, etc?

With server stability, it might be. If it were there until a reset, it's not static, and some group that spent 4 hours in the underdark, spending 50K+ in potions and scrolls, got a trinket instead of a masterwork bullet and a 50gp gem, it'd be a lot less anti-climatic to adventure.

Emprod
Sage

PostAuthor: KinX » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:06 pm

Emprod wrote:With server stability, it might be. If it were there until a reset, it's not static, and some group that spent 4 hours in the underdark, spending 50K+ in potions and scrolls, got a trinket instead of a masterwork bullet and a 50gp gem, it'd be a lot less anti-climatic to adventure.

adventuring isn't really supposed to be easy...
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

This statement is false
KinX
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: Sindol » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:50 pm

A static drop is perhaps a wrong term for it, but a chest that has the wrong treasure script and consistently spawns too high treasure will get farmed and will influence item levels on Avlis because it gets farmed, yes.

Also because it is not meant to do that (obviously) this is what is called a bug and we request nicely from our playerbase to help fix those bugs if in any way possible. This usually means posting them on the bugs report forum, but with exploitable bugs this requires more discretion and they should be mailed to staff@avlis.org.

This is not a discussion about whether the current item levels for avlis are good and I'm not about to let it turn into one.
So much fun,
- Sindol
Sindol

PostAuthor: Emprod » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:55 pm

Sindol wrote:A static drop is perhaps a wrong term for it, but a chest that has the wrong treasure script and consistently spawns too high treasure will get farmed and will influence item levels on Avlis because it gets farmed, yes.

Also because it is not meant to do that (obviously) this is what is called a bug and we request nicely from our playerbase to help fix those bugs if in any way possible. This usually means posting them on the bugs report forum, but with exploitable bugs this requires more discretion and they should be mailed to staff@avlis.org.

This is not a discussion about whether the current item levels for avlis are good and I'm not about to let it turn into one.

Wouldn't want that dead horse either Sindol.

But how does one know if they've found something they're not supposed to? Report every non-mundane, or better than +1 item found?

This is all part of why I brought this up to begin with.....

Emprod
Sage

PostAuthor: Sindol » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:05 pm

No, of course you don't have to report everything, just things that are way out of wack. If you're level 10 or less and you find a +3 item in a chest (make sure no DM is involved) than that is out of wack. If you're level 15+ then this is possible.

Whever you find something like a +4 weapon or a glowstick of some kind, regardless of level then this is also odd, because they are not on the treasure tables, which means the chest uses the old bioware treasure script (unless DM quest, blah blah -> disclaimer :wink: )
So much fun,
- Sindol
Sindol

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:10 pm

The only thing I can think of is for us to familiarize ourselves with the CoPaP guidelines on loot drops. For example, the above cited example he mentions

1 +3 object, the rest mundane loot which I take to mean gems, gold, other "junk".

At the worst, this is "not enough information to make an evaluation" and at the best, it seems to be working as intended.

According the guidelines and what Orl has already stated on the boards numerous times, +2 and even +3 loot should be findable in the chest, though on a fairly rare basis. What Sindol is going after is A. ISDs and B. Chests that are random but are spawning +2 and +3 consisently.

Obviously, the only way to know either of the above is if you hit the chest multiple times. If you hit it just once, you have no idea whether you just got "lucky" or if either A or B above apply. Part of the inquiry of the post is the team has let on that there are multiple levels of chests with different % drops, which makes it all the more confusing as a player as to whether what happened was just your lucky % of the day, or was actually a bug that needs reporting.

Vergilius

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: Sindol » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:25 pm

Don't worry too much about it guys. There are plenty of people that loot chests on a regular basis *coughsfilthythievescoughs* and we know from experience that any chest that spawns abnormally high loot will get noticed enventually, usually even before it's a week old.

Let's not break our heads with statistics here.
So much fun,
- Sindol
Sindol

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team