Ferrell - (0)
M'Chek - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 6
Gallery

Links Menu

Quick Question on DMs

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Quick Question on DMs

PostAuthor: Xeo » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:04 pm

Do DMs ever RP good characters for Evil Characters to RP against.

It maybe stupid question but i am just interested as i have a CE character.
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

Timezone: UK

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:12 pm

Yes.
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: Xeo » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:16 pm

Man i am going to have to apologise in advance... you may seen random postings and things from me but i am really bored and broke..... so Reading this site it cheers me up. Soz for basic or dumb ass questions :roll:
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:18 pm

Its alright. :lol: I've killed a number of good NPCs in my day with evil PCs. A fair number of neutral and evil ones too. :twisted:
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: Xeo » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:23 pm

:twisted: Any tips on being CE? been trying to write out RP plans for when i get back...... and i am having a bit of trouble as i want RP reasons and not a greifer... Finding it a bit hard RP as if ya CE your a loner..... i know i should seek others out of that nature but the hide themselfs well! :lol:

The DMs do very well as Bad guys so tips off the masters for a PC on CE?
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:30 pm

The bandits are pretty CE. However, they are rather fringe in many ways, and are a bit defunct at the moment. I'm not really someone who plays characters by alignment; I play them by personality and history, and give them the alignment that I think suits them the best.
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: KinX » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:41 pm

Xeo Bodacea wrote::twisted: Any tips on being CE? been trying to write out RP plans for when i get back...... and i am having a bit of trouble as i want RP reasons and not a greifer... Finding it a bit hard RP as if ya CE your a loner..... i know i should seek others out of that nature but the hide themselfs well! :lol:

i suggest asking for access to the evil discussion area
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

This statement is false
KinX
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: maelwydd » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:45 pm

Don't view Evil as having to be played overtly Evil. They are the stupid NPC bandits and NPC monsters that just die quickly. the best Evil is the hidden, insiduous, perverting type. Evil is very often played as stupid which it does not need to be.

I remember a character I played many years ago in the Pendragon system (Maelwydd actually). He started out as a Pict warrior who was freed by the rest of the party. Unknown to them I had be captured and was about to be hanged for my crimes but I was released when a friendly joust caused my captor to be killed. I was a big suck up and 'helped' them do their goody goody quests but at every oppertunity I twisted the events or the outcome. In the end the party members were killing each other and fighting on different sides of the Grail quest all because of the things I had sugesting and put into motion. I never did anything overtly Evil but I always played a kind of Devils advocate to make the Good players question their good actions.
maelwydd
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Mothandric » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:52 pm

I agree with maelwydd

Evil is as Evil thinks, not necessarily as evil does...

There are many evil PCs out there who to all intents and purposes seem quite polite and jovial on the surface when dealing with other PCs/NPCs yet eat babies and don't wash their hands afterwards in private :P

Mothandric
Sage

PostAuthor: Xeo » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:59 pm

Hmmm good points..

*bows head in respect*

Cheers guys
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:10 pm

Read about Maleki in detail. His is the CE philosophy.

In spite of what folks say, being evil does not have to be hidden. Evil characters have just as much right to exist as good ones. Noone is going to kill you for no other reason then you being evil. If they do, you just let the team know. The serial killer mentality is not acceptable here, and that goes for good characters killing evil PCs just as much as someone who kills all elves, humans, bald people, etc.

It is the chaos that is going to get you in trouble. Breaking laws has consequences.
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: maelwydd » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:00 pm

The CE way of Evil is actually the easiest and most unreal Evil alignment to play of the 3 IMO (when viewing things on an extended scale). Just kill everyone you see who is weaker, cheat lie and steal without a thought. They are the basic serial killers and nutters who don't have a very long life span usually because they are missing lots of qualities that let them function for extended periods in any society. They are bullies.

NE guys are basically the ones that are evil by default and don't really do Evil for any other reason then that is how they feel. It is instinctive and just happens and is sort of forgiveable because they perhaps know no better. They are farming fox hunters in a world of vegans.

The LE guys are the methodical ones that actually sit in their dark rooms contemplating their rulership and subjeration of everyone else. they often crave power and plot and plan their wat to it even if though others. They are the ones that pose more danger over a long time (and therefore ideal for PC's). They are the Evils that will toy with and aabuse the LG tendencies of others to create anger and jealousy and all those traits that lead to the 'dark side'. They are the lawyers :wink:

In terms of being blatently Evil like in the case of followers of malaki I sometimes find it hard to see how they exist for very long. I mean, anyone who admits to killing innocents in cold blooed for no other reason then 'I'm crazzzzzyyyy' would be locked away. It is kind of like having a lot of mental patients loose haking pedestrians to bits with a samuri sword no one going anything about it.

Then again, it happens in real life so why not Avlis.... :D
maelwydd
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Cath » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:05 pm

KinX wrote:
Xeo Bodacea wrote::twisted: Any tips on being CE? been trying to write out RP plans for when i get back...... and i am having a bit of trouble as i want RP reasons and not a greifer... Finding it a bit hard RP as if ya CE your a loner..... i know i should seek others out of that nature but the hide themselfs well! :lol:

i suggest asking for access to the evil discussion area

Does it matter if you have good characters as well?
I just got my bad girl out of Le'Or - finally...but my main is definately on the good side..
Would be fun to get to read the evil discussions for the other one though.
Cath
Scholar

PostAuthor: Xeo » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:25 pm

Hmm i starting to understand alot on "Evil" topic of RP stlye.

I have to say i am not one for random killings or mindless chasing low LVL PC's just to make thier lifes hell.... (could be fun thou <----- joke)

But i do agree with Wrath again on this post that Evil PC should exsist just the same as Good PC's.
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Dirk Cutlass » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:35 pm

Plenty of scope for evil business-people: traders ripping people off, failing to deliver goods, extorsion (sp?), etc. etc. Being evil doesn't have to mean killing people.. just been nasty is enough.
Dirk Cutlass
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:16 pm

Yeah, you can be LE, NE, CE without ever killing anyone. Not that anyone is. Killing things is part of D&D. Even paladins kill folks.

Like dirk said there, killing is not nessasarily a focus, even for CE characters. Here in avlis each greater god is an alignment and has a philosophy. All of them were warroirs in life so they all have some form or another of militant (killing folks) agenda included. You donot see followers of Dru'El running around killing everyone do you? Why do you suddenly expect followers of Maleki to? There is a huge difference between following a philosophy, having principles, haveing reasons for your actions that futher your dieties goals, and being some psycopath.

Sure, to others, any opposeing group, when veiwed from the third person might seem like they are mindless killers. But when you get a good look at what is going on inside the group everything makes sence.
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:24 pm

This may be rather simplistic, but my take on CE has always been someone who is somewhat crazy - a total anarchist. He doesn't give a shit about anything or anyone - he just does whatever he feels like doing. A loner, who doesn't care for or respect others enough to work with them. Rules and morality mean nothing.

Of course, CE doesn't necessarily have to be quite that extreme :wink:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Xeo » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:56 pm

*sniff starts to cry* :cry:

i dont want to be a loner
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Tangleroot » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:09 pm

Being an evil loner is boring.

The answer is to narrow down your list of enemies, and get some friends. Even evil bastards know people who they respect and listen to. Maybe even like. The contrast between the bad guy side of your character and his good qualities makes the character more real and interesting. They always say that Hitler loved his dog. I bet even Skeletor and Megatron had their friendly moments.
Tangleroot
Silver Member

PostAuthor: Aloro » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:39 pm

Tangleroot wrote: I bet even Skeletor and Megatron had their friendly moments.

Heh. My new sig line. ;)

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Tangleroot » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:00 pm

I've never been sig'ed before in my life. A strangely moving moment. :D
Tangleroot
Silver Member

PostAuthor: Fifty » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:10 pm

WrathOG777 wrote:Yeah, you can be LE, NE, CE without ever killing anyone. Not that anyone is. Killing things is part of D&D. Even paladins kill folks.

I have always planned since NWN first came out to make a pacifist LG cleric. I even did it on Marfell for about 10 minutes before I decided Marfell was pap.

Maybe I should do it again.

Oh, and now that I think about it, Mistress Ezra hasn't killed anything yet either. I don't think she has anyway. She normally just runs away.
Hovering around the edges of polite society
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:40 am

It is possible to be evil without killing people or being a loner. It is even possible to be CE. Possiblities:

Violent anarchist. Taunts guards into attacking him, runs around crying injustice as they are put down/held/whatever. Also taunt pallies, authority figures, whatever. Burn down buildings.

Bandit character

Malekite: the religious sort of evil

Or you can just not really care about anyone else. Act like as much of a bastard as you can, but not necessiarly overtly; spread lies and misinformation, and just generally cause trouble. I saw one character once lure trolls into town - very risky, but very amusing. Maybe if some paladin arrests you or turns you in, kill a Valokian priest and put them in a back room of the Temple of Gorethar in Mikona and arrange for the body to be discovered. That sort of thing.
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: KinX » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:43 am

Fifty wrote:I have always planned since NWN first came out to make a pacifist LG cleric. I even did it on Marfell for about 10 minutes before I decided Marfell was pap.

someone already succesfully did that in Avlis. The only thing he'd get violent against was undead
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

This statement is false
KinX
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: Aloro » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:44 am

KinX wrote:
Fifty wrote:I have always planned since NWN first came out to make a pacifist LG cleric. I even did it on Marfell for about 10 minutes before I decided Marfell was pap.

someone already succesfully did that in Avlis. The only thing he'd get violent against was undead

I know of one pacifist CG cleric who only harms undead, as well. He didn't start out that way, that's just where he ended up. ;)

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team