Mikona - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 0
Gallery

Links Menu

One shot adventures

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

PostAuthor: ashzz » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:39 pm

how about a major lowbie quest?

something that would only interest people below level 8 or so, and bore higher levels. and everyone time a higher level tries to get involved...give him or her a reason not to be there..be it a simple tell saying go away

ashzz
Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.

ashzz
Scholar

PostAuthor: Alexandru Stanicu » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:15 pm

ashzz wrote:how about a major lowbie quest?

something that would only interest people below level 8 or so, and bore higher levels. and everyone time a higher level tries to get involved...give him or her a reason not to be there..be it a simple tell saying go away

ashzz

There is a least one quest on the Mikona server that you cant get if you are above a certain level. I wouldnt call it major, but it is there. IIRC it is targeted at level 5-8 (near that range).
I have tons of ideas for scripted quests, what I need is someone to code them.
Alexandru Stanicu
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

Timezone: CST
DM Avatar: The Hammer

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:25 am

Alexandru Stanicu wrote:
ashzz wrote:how about a major lowbie quest?

ashzz

There is a least one quest on the Mikona server that you cant get if you are above a certain level. I wouldnt call it major, but it is there. IIRC it is targeted at level 5-8 (near that range).
I have tons of ideas for scripted quests, what I need is someone to code them.

While scripted quests are nice, the thread is about DM quests.

Vergilius
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: Alexandru Stanicu » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:56 am

opps my bad
Alexandru Stanicu
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

Timezone: CST
DM Avatar: The Hammer

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:01 am

1) What kind of adventure would you prefer?

Hacking up monsters is alright, but it gets old hat fast. I can hack up monsters anytime I want to; DMs just make them a bit tougher. I enjoy these, but they aren't my favorites.

My favorites are problem-solving quests - figuring out what you need to do and how to best do it. Even figuring out what is going on is good. Sure, it can involve combat - but that shouldn't be the focus of it. Also, persuading things is always good - try to convince some powerful monster to attack T'Nanshi rather than M'Chek, to go away, to do something else, whatever. Tests of faith and alignment (tempting good/lawful characters) is always a welcome break, especially if it isn't overly obvious. Play on a good/lawful character's greed (or any character's greed), then give them nasty consequences for not thinking things through (for example, someone offers to buy a bunch of masterwork weapons from you for good prices; the next day fifty people are killed by bandits with elite crafted equipment, that sort of thing). Maybe sell people defective weapons (wands of fireball that blow up when used, for instance), causing them to search for this conman. Mysteries are always good.

2) What kinds of rewards are you looking for?

If the adventure is easy or moderate in difficulty, xp, maybe some gold, potions, scrolls, special arrows, ect. If the adventure is difficult, a couple nice things (i.e. +2 items, strange items, +1 items with strange properties, ect.), or maybe some charged items (charged items are good because they take themselves out of the economy after a while). For an extreme adventure, possibly a +3 or better item, depending on level, or something quite nice.

3) What difficulty do you enjoy?

All difficulties. I don't like overly easy ones, though; at least make them moderately hard. Thinking adventures should be at least moderate if not difficult. Difficult adventures are probably the best; test their resources to their limit; don't let them breeze through the adventure and get an item +2/3. But likewise, don't spawn impossibly difficult monsters, or monsters that are nearly impossibly difficult (i.e. uber monsters like balors, vampire warriors with 2000 hp, ect.); generally it is better to send in a large number of fairly powerful monsters rather than one ubermonster, and is far more interesting tactically. A swarm-type enemy in large enough numbers would also be interesting. Moderate/difficult adventures should be the norm; extremly difficult adventures should be rare.

And if you can, try to use unusual monsters; bashing the same types of monsters constantly is very dull.
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: maelwydd » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:37 pm

1) What kind of adventure would you prefer
I like little off the cuff ones where a DM possesses an NPC and some RP is done. Memorable ones are when Kimli in Mikona market off loaded all his store to sepnd time with his family and when Abdul asked me to mind his stall. Great oppertunities for RP and lots of fun.

There have been a couple of times when the city of Mikona has been under attack. The things I have liked were the prelude and the aftermath of the attack. During the attack I didn't really have fun as I kept on dying and felt like a spare wheel while all the higher level PC's dealt with the attack. Perhaps during these type of events there should be sepperate attack froms where the gates are being guarded by the higher levels and the lower levels are asked to patrol other area's or deal with an attack of lesser beings.

Advetisement! I remember an adventure whe it was advetised by a Dm that people were wanted to explore teleports in a temple. This was great because the numbers were limited and the levels were limited. I have no problem at all with finding a DM even and walking away if it is not for me. If a Dm possesed a noble and asked for only 4 players and only levels 1 to 3 then that would be great (in an IC way of course but with numbers limited). Too many times have I tried to do an adventure with similar levels and then a 'helpful' uber chracter turns up and does everything...spare wheel again.

2) What kind of rewards are you looking for
XP, gold, unique items of any power, useful items. A chestfull of items is great, a parchment with a congratulations for doing xyz whould be great too.

3) What difficulty do you enjoy (Easy, Moderate, Hard, Extreme)
I dislike mass battles only because I always feel I am playing the security officer in Star Trek. Any difficulty is fine as long as it is balanced for all involved.

I know it is difficult to do because of timezones and limited play time but are there any adventuring parties out there. you know, like in the P&P game...A wizard a priest a fighter and a rogue? Perhaps is more adventures were posted at an adventures guild for work to be done then Dm's would find it easier to do.

I am sure that if a job was posted with a limited reward then only certain types would come. If a job was posted for a lost cat to be found, reward 100 gold, then probably only low levels would apply but if a job to take out a hidden Evil lair were posted then otehr types would apply.

Hey, just jot another idea for an addition to the world...
maelwydd
Apprentice Scholar

Re: One shot adventures

PostAuthor: MorphlingROR » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:08 pm

As many has pointed it out already, variety is the key here. I am also in favor of smaller parties of 2-6 people for such adventures.

What I would like to see more in adventures? I think more situations when conflicting parties are not clearly "good" or "bad". More situations where players would have to make difficult moral choices for their characters and get to RP their characters. A bit less combat situations would be nice as well (more on it in part 3).

2) What kind of rewards are you looking for.

Anything will do. My characters will be happy even with just gold, as they do not usually earn a lot of it during their normal life. Of course custom items are nice to get though, but abundance of them would make it less prestigious to have them.

I think the best variant would be hard difficulty, that could be toned down to easy-moderate, if the party would find a right tactic or solution. I also prefer when there are several stronger foes, then a horde of weaker ones. A long hard fight against a few tough guys is something to remember after the adventure finishes.
I would also really like to see more custom foes, then the standard spawns of bandits / mercs / etc. I also hate "save-or-instant-death" foes, especially now with roll of 1 being an auto-failure. It's really frustrating if you just get unlucky and roll a 1, then spend the rest of adventure in the death plane, or trying to bring the inventory and quickslots to order after being raised. Has nothing to do with how well someone played.

MorphlingROR
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: Starslayer_D » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:29 pm

*g* Amelwyd, do you refere to the Temple of Ptah teleportal exploartion in Mikona? Sorry to disapoint you, I do like to make events like this coem around, but am no DM.. just a player loving to involve others as well.

Starslayer_D
Master Sage

PostAuthor: maelwydd » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:03 pm

That's the one at the temple of Ptah. Lots of fun, wasn't combat of levels not an issue, nice reward at the end. Made me feel all soft and gooey at the end knowing I have 'done' an adventure. Whether it was DM run or not that kind of thing is just right.
maelwydd
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Starslayer_D » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:10 pm

You're welcome. Watch the boards, I try to make an exploratioon amonths if possible organised yb the church of Angadar to visit magical places.

Done so far:
Temple of Ptah
Kobold Caves
Zelvan Dur
.. running out of easy places... next either Durnans tower or the right newly discovered underdark teleportal network.

Starslayer_D
Master Sage

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:21 pm

I too, as a player, run little quests occasionly.

I hire folks to do work like suggested for the trickle down quest concept. But I have no quest myself to trickle down, I just make things up.

I do little two+ player events for the church of Maleki. We try to do some church specific roleplay services.

It does not always take a DM to get a real event going. Bill does quite a good job at organizing these too. The Canvas is starting to get RP events going too.
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: maelwydd » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:50 pm

I am soon to open a shop (as soon as HOTU is checked and Avis'ified and Marauder has time to put it it) and I have lots of RP quest type things I want to do though that. I think sometimes we should help the DM's too and try and actually RP giving out things when we get to higher levels. I will be hiring miners, plant gathers, manual labour in the shop, adventuring parties to get rare ingredients, guards for the shop, mercenaries to make the local area safe for travellers etc...

Hopefully I can feed some DM's the types of things I will be doing so that they can use it as a platform to do their own things with a sort of already formed adventuring group. I think the more we can make our characters exist in the Avlis world the more oppertunity a DM will ahve to run events that will be fun and a challenge.
maelwydd
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: madhatter » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:52 am

I like quests that really make you think. A nice blend of fighting and thinkin. Basically, give me a good reason that I should want to fight, make me think if that fight is really worth it. Options, pleanty of options. Even dm fed ex quests are nice. There should usually at least be a little danger involved. Weather thats from fighting or something else.

I know this isint very helpfull, but anything really. Just go by the characters that are doing the quest, and hand out loot accordingly, if at all.

I would have to say somewhere between hard and extreme. Not so much because of lack of information about your objectiv. (that just gets boring) But more so a constant stream of hurdles to block a pc from his final goal. Keep us on our toes. :D

madhatter
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Jorio Alerian » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:45 am

I would like to see a Freddy vs. Jason type of plotline with two very evil characters out to destroy the other, and needing the aid/assistance/allegiance of other groups with opposing alignments to swing the tide of battle in their favor.

I would like to see plot lines that aren't neccessarily about the "end of the world" but could be learning the "secrets" of Avlis' past. Perhaps leading to finding a magical weapon, an old signed copy of a "peace treaty" between T'nanshi and M'Chek that never saw the light of day, demonic rituals of the Ebony Order past involving sacrifices, etc...

I love hearing about PC's being whisked away to secret lairs for interrogation or to be given special quests. It would be fun to learn about a rare and special herb or flower with incredible crafitng abilities and a PIECE of a treasure map on where to find it that can be slowly played out.

Love to see small plots that take place in areas like the old tower behind Equaloria Keep where a bad experiment goes awry and chaos is unleashed sending a army of elementals against the city and the portal must be closed to end it. Plot lines that force us to travel and see different parts of Avlis we would not normally see.

Instead of NEW weapons or items to be given out, I would love it if the PC was offered a chance to trade or upgrade a current item.

Lastly, I like the plotlines that force interaction between pc's and pc groups to complete or advance forward.

Hope that helps.

**edited**

forgot one more... would love to see something along the lines of where PC's and PC groups can run a plot line to resurrect or summon a defeated entity or spirit to bringforth back into the world. For instance, instead of Nastassiou just reappearing one day (suprise!), make it that the pc's need to conduct an elaborate ritual or sacrifice to do so.

Same with LG groups, they can summon from the past a heroic figure to aid them in battle, or provide necessary clues to see evil defeated.
Jorio Alerian
Sage

PostAuthor: jadeia » Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:01 pm

I've been running different types of adventures since I posted this and read the feedback.

Those who have felt a difference, let me know. Feedback is good, feedback is my friend.

Ie. How did you like the Goblin Ridler? (To those involved)
jadeia
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: subspace1011 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:13 pm

I think the rewards are fine. The only thing I'd like to see, as was said before, alignment changes. I've been around for about a year and I've only had my alignment changed once via DM. Right now, Cor is CN, and sometimes he asks like a hot-head. But this is also the guy who formed a ton of rules and expectations for the AKN (with help of course), and sometimes has to organize battle formations for whatever party he's with (during DM quests). He's been at chaotic (15) ever since that one change, and I really don't see him even close to that chaotic. I'm sure it's the same for others.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

subspace1011
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Leaving Hope » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:32 am

One of the things I tried to do when I created Angora was to give her a background, but fill it full of questions that roleplaying and DM quests would eventually answer.

I personally feel comfortable with a DM helping to fill those holes, even--perhaps, especially--if the story goes a completely different direction than I thought it would.

For instance, Angora has tattoos on her body that have been there since birth. She has no idea why they were put there, or what they mean; as a result, she's both curious and sensitive to their existance. I'm still hoping a DM will come along and help her discover their meaning.

I'd like to see more Avlis players create histories for their players with these holes. It gives the DMs alot of room to work with, and it makes not knowing exciting.

So, to answer Jadeia a little more specifically, I would be in favor of allowing the DMs to influence character development, regardless of the outcome.

The above doesn't necessarily suggest the quest will just be for the main PC, either; he/she might be required to find help along the way, seek out someone's council, or collect items or gold or knowledge for the answer.

Alternatively, I'd love to see more teams working together in a non-hostile situation.

Let's say a particular noble of Mikona wants to have a party, but needs staff to help him put the thing together. Some PCs could work on the dinner portion, some the entertainment, and some work on RSVPs. And at the end the major payoff is seeing this event actually take place after all the hard work you've put into it.

Or maybe a Lord wants a unique sword built for him. The PCs could go off and find the items, people, and gold necessary for its completion.

I'll be the first to admit that hacking and slashing is often a good break from days and days of constant role playing. However, I am always much happier when the quest I'm on actually accomplishes something, be it the protection of a city, the development of something, or the furthering of in-character relationships.

When I was playing as a Maiden of Dre'Ana months ago, Arc used to involve us in Maiden-related quests quite often. I hope the DMs that serve as other deities try to do the same. Believe me, Order business can grow maddening and frustrating, and a little DM intervention goes a long way.

Another possibility is granting the PC(s) a quest that has an important choice; possibly a really, really difficult choice that forces the group to debate the outcome. Perhaps they can save one group from death, but be forced to lose another. The roleplaying from this choice will resound for a long time to come.

I would want rewards that aren't necessarily powerful, but very unique. That way everytime you look at "Hobbord's Useless Frog of the East Aralean Swamp" you'll feel like you accomplished something, even if all the frog does is cast light. Sure, it's not a +5 wounding blade of uber destruction, but it's unique, it's yours, and no one else worked for it like you did.

I also need to say that Avlis needs more bows. Eventually, Angora's going to find her +1 mahagony longbow isn't cutting it. I don't know the teams stance on unlimited ammunition, but Angora (and myself) would truly prize something like a +2 composite bow with unlimited ammo. Hell, even a +2 composite bow would be amazing.

On the special side, powerful items that enhance defense and abilities are always nice. A greater Elvenkind cloak, for instance.

I find easy quests to be boring. I want something that encourages us to team up and work together.

I'd even be in favor of having enemies that can't be defeated physically, as long as there's some sort of closure at the end.

Leaving Hope
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Abdul_Caffeine » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:00 pm

1:
Quick, as many people have said. 1-2 hour mini-quests are ideal.

Lowbie, because I play a lowbie character.

Ones that don't involve a violent climax. I would honestly give anything to have the big bad guy have to be talked down, rather than it degenerating into a fight.

2:
As a player of a lowbie character, XP is always nice. However, what I'd really like is an opportunity to start something of my own. My character has a pile of plans; I'd like the chance to execute some of them. ("Okay, so you got the gold. What are you going to do?" "I'm going to bribe several M'Chekan nobles into voting my way in the upcoming debate").

3:
Moderate-difficult. Too hard is no fun. If I want to bang my head against a wall, I don't need to be online to do it. Similarly, if I want to slaughter lots of helpess small things, there's a primary school next door. :twisted: Somewhere in between is the reason I log onto Avlis.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that someone, at some point, said to themselves, "y'know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to do it."
- Jesse D.

http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~joakimon/lotr- ... ers-14.jpg

Abdul_Caffeine
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Previous

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team