Deglos - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Mikona - (0)
Total players: 6
Gallery

Links Menu

Minimum PrC levels

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Minimum PrC levels

PostAuthor: surfer69 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:32 pm

Is there a Team stance on the minimum number of levels a character should take in their chosen Prestige Class? Does it depend on the PrC? I've always considered 10 to be the minimum, because I think it makes sense if you choose one you should be capable of passing it on, whether you're inclined to or not. But I know there are very few Weapon Masters with more than 7 levels, and I've seen a few Shadowdancers with 5 or fewer. By the same token, I have yet to see a level 40 build with fewer than 10 Holy Warrior levels, which seems fitting.

Does anyone really care? Is this thing on?

Thanks for your thoughts.
"See, want, take. What else is there, right?"
surfer69
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: EST

Re: Minimum PrC levels

PostAuthor: Ronan » Wed May 31, 2017 12:06 am

Heya,

We're currently discussing this and will get back to you.
Ronan
CCC, Elder DM , RPotY 2014
CCC,  Elder DM , RPotY 2014

DM Avatar: Wilsash

PostAuthor: Grunt » Wed May 31, 2017 1:19 am

Addendum to the question: What about base classes? Should someone with 4 levels of wizard at level 40 have a high mage position, for example? Should minoring in a class get the benefits that are more appropriate for epic levels in the class?
FletcherWiki

*Stepping out of a portal*
Nawen Amakiir: there he is.. *smirks* someone had to make an entrance
Fletcher Millstone: MILLSTONE! *arms held high*
Lilliana Be'letane: You're the worst, Fletcher.
Grunt
CCC
CCC

Timezone: I AM A TIME LORD

PostAuthor: jwhite5730 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:28 am

Grunt wrote:Addendum to the question: What about base classes? Should someone with 4 levels of wizard at level 40 have a high mage position, for example? Should minoring in a class get the benefits that are more appropriate for epic levels in the class?
Or

I realy see this depending on the Order, say someone is 4 wizard\36 palemaster. If there part of an Order that deals with undead a lot I could understand this but...I would not think anyone would take past 10 levels in Palemaster if that...
jwhite5730
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Ronan » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:35 pm

surfer69 wrote:Is there a Team stance on the minimum number of levels a character should take in their chosen Prestige Class? Does it depend on the PrC? I've always considered 10 to be the minimum, because I think it makes sense if you choose one you should be capable of passing it on, whether you're inclined to or not. But I know there are very few Weapon Masters with more than 7 levels, and I've seen a few Shadowdancers with 5 or fewer. By the same token, I have yet to see a level 40 build with fewer than 10 Holy Warrior levels, which seems fitting.

Does anyone really care? Is this thing on?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sorry for the wait.

Please don't class dip. We would prefer that you take more than a couple class levels but we're not going to be peering closely at your character sheet.*

*Except for me, maybe

Grunt wrote:Addendum to the question: What about base classes? Should someone with 4 levels of wizard at level 40 have a high mage position, for example? Should minoring in a class get the benefits that are more appropriate for epic levels in the class?

The 'four levels of wizard' is a little awkward since we've got classes that add to arcane spellcasting, so it could be deceptive - a 20th level caster with level 9 spells would still be reasonably powerful, and may even have epic spells... Generally someone dabbling in a class is unlikely to have any luck advancing in social rank for that class; they just don't have the expertise. Note that with the refresh program, some odd and temporary exceptions may apply.
Ronan
CCC, Elder DM , RPotY 2014
CCC,  Elder DM , RPotY 2014

DM Avatar: Wilsash

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team