Ferrell - (0)
Le'Or - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Total players: 9
Gallery

Links Menu

NPC's in public spaces

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

NPC's in public spaces

PostAuthor: krackq » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:36 pm

I thought there was an older thread about this somewhere but I've been unable to find it. I know that when you post in a tavern, there some vague rules and guidelines about what you can and cannot assume. I was always told that just because you try to emote no one seeing you, that its likely not the case, without dm approval. I'd like to get a clearer picture.

Do npc's exist in public spaces where it makes sense even though you cannot see the spawned representation of them in game? If so, is it assumed that they can see what you are doing unless otherwise approved by a dm?

I know its impossible to spawn every represented person in an area for obvious reasons. I have always been told and have always rp'ed (unless told otherwise by a dm) that a public space will have npc's there where it makes sense, even if you cannot see one spawned in game. For example, my character goes to a public library and I know that the librarian is there because they are spawned in the module, but will there be other patrons around that could see him? Another example, my pc goes into a tavern, I know there is a bartender usually at the bar because he is spawned in the module, but are there other patrons scattered about the bar that will see him? I know their actions/reactions are subject to dm's and not the players (ie.. can't speak for npc's).

Thanks!
[Celedor Dedwend: [Talk] *turns around and shakes ass before giving it a sharp slap*
Celedor Dedwend: [Party] ((this is my finest RP beyond a shadow of a doubt.. my zenith if you will))
Fydonya Ivythorn: [Party] that's sad celedor..
krackq
Jugglebutt Jones

Timezone: GMT-5

Re: NPC's in public spaces

PostAuthor: Plethora » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:50 am

krackq wrote:I thought there was an older thread about this somewhere but I've been unable to find it. I know that when you post in a tavern, there some vague rules and guidelines about what you can and cannot assume. I was always told that just because you try to emote no one seeing you, that its likely not the case, without dm approval. I'd like to get a clearer picture.

Do npc's exist in public spaces where it makes sense even though you cannot see the spawned representation of them in game? If so, is it assumed that they can see what you are doing unless otherwise approved by a dm?

I know its impossible to spawn every represented person in an area for obvious reasons. I have always been told and have always rp'ed (unless told otherwise by a dm) that a public space will have npc's there where it makes sense, even if you cannot see one spawned in game. For example, my character goes to a public library and I know that the librarian is there because they are spawned in the module, but will there be other patrons around that could see him? Another example, my pc goes into a tavern, I know there is a bartender usually at the bar because he is spawned in the module, but are there other patrons scattered about the bar that will see him? I know their actions/reactions are subject to dm's and not the players (ie.. can't speak for npc's).

Thanks!

Anywhere that is a public place, you should assume as player, there are more NPCs then are represented IG.

If a DM is present, then its their decision as to who sees you, how many, ect.
Well, i've heard about the fella you've been dancing with, all over the neighborhood..
...why didn't you ask me baby? Or didn't you think I could..
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

Timezone: +11 (DST)
DM Avatar: Verossa

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team