Elysia - (0)
Ferrell - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Mikona - (0)
Total players: 5
Gallery

Links Menu

Favored Bards?

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Favored Bards?

PostAuthor: GimpGenius » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:15 pm

I was looking through the wiki and noticed that all the casters have a section on being "favored by their chosen diety" except for Bards. Assuming it's not FOIG, can Bards be marked as favored? This is mainly for updating the wiki, so no major rush. Thanks!

GimpGenius
Apprentice Scholar

Re: Favored Bards?

PostAuthor: Micah » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:13 am

I suppose, any character could be considered "favored" with respect to their religion, but bards do not qualify for the mechanical benefits to spells and stuff for being tagged as favored in the database.

A creative and industrious developer might be able to come up with something cool, a bard kind of favoredism, but bards are not so many that this is likely to happen.
Micah
Lead Producer

Timezone: GMT-5
DM Avatar: Pelar

PostAuthor: Lance Goodman » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:56 am

Updating the Champion page on the wiki. Does the "favored" status affect the Avlis-specific HW classes, or just Cleric and Paladin? If yes, how does it work?

Ex: PC is Cleric 10/HW 30, Current Caster Level = 25

PC RP's like a boss and becomes favored. Does the caster level increase to 29 (Cleric side favored), 27 (HW side favored), or 31 (both sides favored)?

The Cleric page also suggests increases to "select HW abilities." Is there specific information that's wiki-able for those, or is it FOIG?

Pertinent info will be updated to all HW wiki pages, so any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Lance Goodman
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Micah » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:20 am

When favored bonuses add to "caster level", they add to cleric casting level and holy warrior casting level the same - as whatever the bonus is, straight up. The DC bonus is added as if it were a boost in ability score, so cleric spells get a DC bonus, and holy warriors get the exact same number when applicable to DC or Charisma Mod.

The 10Clr/30 HW + Favored Bonus gives you CL 29.

Divine might has charisma bonus to damage for 5 + 1/2 cleric level + HW level + CHA Mod rounds. The boost from "caster level" only applies once, but it also gets the boost from "CHA Mod", so it technically gets the favored bonust twice for duration. The actual damage bonus is Cha Bonus + Favored Bonus.

Favored takes a long time to earn. The bonuses aren't FOIG, they're mechanical. I think divine get +4 Level/+4 DC. Mages work differently, and have three stages of +2/+2 plus AMS. Getting divine favored can take a very long time, longer than mage favored, and has a very high bar for religious rp. If its the numbers game or status symbol that interests you (it certainly interests me) then aiming for it may leave you feeling like it is out of reach. In practice, the bonuses are nice, but I have never seen them transform a character from what they already are. The same goes for RP and status. People do earn it though, often in place of phat loots when the time is right. Hope that helps!
Micah
Lead Producer

Timezone: GMT-5
DM Avatar: Pelar

PostAuthor: Lance Goodman » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:02 pm

Awesome; just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Lance Goodman
Scholar of Fools

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team