Total players: 5
Gallery
  • Winter Ball 2015
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:41 pm

Links Menu

A question about using crafted wands

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

A question about using crafted wands

PostAuthor: Jazz » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:54 pm

You know, those wands you can craft with a Level 1-4 Arcane or Divine spells in it.

If I am a Cleric (with no UMD), can I use an Arcane wand, and do I use my Spellcraft to determine the the succes? Is the DC = 20 + SpellLevel ?
Visa versa, if I'm a Sorcerer, I can use a Divine wand, again using spellcraft with the same DC?

What about other classes? Can a Psions with enough Spellcraft use either an Arcane or Divine wand? Same DC?

Cheers :)
Jazz
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT +1/+2

Re: A question about using crafted wands

PostAuthor: Thelo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:38 am

-- *blushes* Sorry, got to this post with the "show new posts button" and didnt see that it was Ask the team! So deleted my post --
Last edited by Thelo on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thelo
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Jazz » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:28 am

That sounds very logical and right to me, Thelo, but I recently heard some other theories both IC & OOC, so it would be nice if a Teamster could answer this :wink:
Jazz
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT +1/+2

PostAuthor: RCon » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:49 am

From this page: http://wiki.avlis.org/Magic_System

Use Magic Device wrote:If you attempt to use a scroll, staff or wand with a spell that you cannot cast, you must make a successful Use Magic Device or Spellcraft check. The system will compare ranks in the two skills and use the highest of the two for your character. If you have at least 5 ranks in the lower skill, you will get a +2 synergy bonus for the check.

If you are a divine caster attempting to use an item with an arcane spell or an arcane caster trying to an item with a divine spell, one of the following things will happen:

* If you have rogue, bard or assassin levels and ranks in UMD, you will make a UMD check - not a spellcraft check.
* The attempt will fail.

I'm not 100% certain whether this is accurate with regard to druids using cleric wands and vice versa, or sorcerors using wands with spells not on their known spells list.
RCon
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

PostAuthor: Nob » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:05 am

If the spell is not on your class's casting list, you should be using UMD not spellcraft.

If you see it functioning otherwise, report it, please it's a bug.
"Andrinor grant me the patience not to kill those who screw things up through stupidity, the power to incinerate those who screw things up on purpose, and the wisdom to distinguish between one and the other." -The War Mage's Serenity Prayer
Nob
Elder DM
Elder DM

DM Avatar: Dead but still a Dreamer

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team