M'Chek - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

Regarding Familiars, Summons, RP and Cheese

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Regarding Familiars, Summons, RP and Cheese

PostAuthor: Halitherses » Wed May 09, 2012 11:07 am

I have a few questions surrounding the RP-based mechanics of familiars for mages.

Firstly, are there connotations of cheese associated with characters using familiars at lower levels? It was suggested to me that it would be too cheesy for a lowbie to be using a creature such as a faerie dragon or a hellhound, and that I should wait until later levels or further into my character's RP life. If so, at what point is it considered acceptable for a character to have a familiar, and do the prerequisites for each familiar differ?

Secondly, does one need to have viably been able to meet/tame a familiar? For example, neither I nor my character have any idea where one might find a floating eyeball. In order to use a floating eyeball as a familiar, would I need to find a place where floating eyeballs spawn, for example?

Thirdly, what is the in-game explanation behind familiars? Are they creatures of power, the very fabric of their being crafted out of magic? Or are they an ordinary creature, found in the wild and put into some sort of hyperspace, for a character to call upon as he or she wishes? Or do they continue to exist when not by the character's side, and instead do whatever a floating eyeball does with its life?

Fourthly, does the in-game explanation for summons differ from that of familiars? Are they, perhaps, simply plucked out of wherever they previously were in the world, as the name of 'summon' suggests?

Thank you for your time.
Halitherses
Knight of Useless Drivel

Timezone: UTC+12

Re: Regarding Familiars, Summons, RP and Cheese

PostAuthor: Plethora » Wed May 09, 2012 11:31 am

Halitherses wrote:I have a few questions surrounding the RP-based mechanics of familiars for mages.

OK! <[8)

Firstly, are there connotations of cheese associated with characters using familiars at lower levels?

No, as a mage, your familiar is your familiar, RP, or engine or otherwise.

It was suggested to me that it would be too cheesy for a lowbie to be using a creature such as a faerie dragon or a hellhound, and that I should wait until later levels or further into my character's RP life. If so, at what point is it considered acceptable for a character to have a familiar, and do the prerequisites for each familiar differ?

From level one, you may have any familar offered, and happily RP your background with said familiar, providing it is in complience with world lore.

Secondly, does one need to have viably been able to meet/tame a familiar? For example, neither I nor my character have any idea where one might find a floating eyeball. In order to use a floating eyeball as a familiar, would I need to find a place where floating eyeballs spawn, for example?

It is always a good thing to have a RP background information, yet, it is rarely relivant unless you need to ask in an RP circumstance, if you have no background story, feel free to RP
*shrugs, and frowns for a moment, before changing the subject*
Avlis is an rp world, and the deeper your story, then more you bring to the table.
Having said that again, please stay within world lore, or bring your background story to myself (PM Plethora) or the team (staff@avlis.org) for approval

Thirdly, what is the in-game explanation behind familiars? Are they creatures of power, the very fabric of their being crafted out of magic? Or are they an ordinary creature, found in the wild and put into some sort of hyperspace, for a character to call upon as he or she wishes? Or do they continue to exist when not by the character's side, and instead do whatever a floating eyeball does with its life?

This is a deep and meaningful question! I would not like to answer it without descussion from my team.
I will say though, that you as the master of the familiar, ~presumes~ it goes off and has a life, in whatever realm/exsistance you summoned it from.
Fourthly, does the in-game explanation for summons differ from that of familiars? Are they, perhaps, simply plucked out of wherever they previously were in the world, as the name of 'summon' suggests?

It does!
familars and companions are true peeps with names
Summons, are a type of creature you plucked from the realm of that creature, unless given permission from the team otherwise

Thank you for your time.

you are welcome.. Team, please elaborate, if i my words are too few here.
Well, i've heard about the fella you've been dancing with, all over the neighborhood..
...why didn't you ask me baby? Or didn't you think I could..
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

Timezone: +11 (DST)
DM Avatar: Verossa

PostAuthor: Gweyn » Wed May 09, 2012 10:10 pm

Can I have a pony?
Black lips, pale eyes, cyanide sweet tooth suicide
Gweyn
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: Grunt » Wed May 09, 2012 10:33 pm

Gweyn wrote:Can I have a pony?

Yes! All you have to do is take part in the plot "Gweyn takes several paladin levels".
FletcherWiki

*Stepping out of a portal*
Nawen Amakiir: there he is.. *smirks* someone had to make an entrance
Fletcher Millstone: MILLSTONE! *arms held high*
Lilliana Be'letane: You're the worst, Fletcher.
Grunt
CCC
CCC

Timezone: I AM A TIME LORD

PostAuthor: refminion » Wed May 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Can Racci have an Iron Golem called Destructor who constantly shouts "My leg feels funny!"?
Ferrell is like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory....all beautiful scenery and little people...then you enter any cave and its like that boat ride from hell.

Storm|
refminion
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT

PostAuthor: rk57957 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:49 pm

Not to side track the topic but how hard would golem familiars be to implement? If it is not to hard I am thinking of kidnapping Nob, locking him in a room and throwing BBQ in till golem familiars come out.
rk57957
Scholar

Timezone: CST

PostAuthor: S_N » Fri May 11, 2012 2:08 am

refminion wrote:Can Racci have an Iron Golem called Destructor who constantly shouts "My leg feels funny!"?
No.
Golems don't shout - they need enchantments to produce voice-like sounds.

>:D
S_N
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: UTC+1
DM Avatar: Ingoren

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team