M'Chek - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

Detect Evil

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Re: Detect Evil

PostAuthor: spool32 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:13 pm

Oh, that's a whole other question. I thought we were talking about whether you can tell if someone else is USING detect, not what you yourself know if you use it.

Comprehensive rule to follow... this spell/ability is far too confusing for all involved parties. We will try to have the mechanics follow the ruling as closely as we can.
spool32
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT -6

PostAuthor: kthxbye » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:18 pm

Moredo wrote:Yeah, I get that part, but what do you know once the spell is cast? Can I say: "Hey Silver, you know what? You're evil! I know 'cus my god told me!" (preferably a bit more IC).

Moreover, as per the description of the good and evil alignments, "good" could mean that a person is (more or less) selfless and cares about life, an "evil" one is selfish and doesn't care about others in general. But - if I get it right, "good" and "evil" in IC dialogs means the same things they do in the real world, so that doesn't match with their OOC description.
An IC explanation for these two spells could be useful. :)

PS: whops, spool32 answered while I was writing.. Too fast man!

kthxbye
CCC
CCC

Timezone: GMT +1; GMT +2 [DST]

PostAuthor: megamegamega » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:28 pm

What about invisible/stealthed/disguised targets detected as evil?
LEO! ~Seavien~
megamegamega
Scholar of Fools

Timezone: CDT (GMT -5)

PostAuthor: Sloth King » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:37 pm

From my understanding it was that the detect good/evil spells told you if evil is present the first round and then tells you more specifically who is evil the secound round?
"Most of us can, as we choose, make of this world either a palace or a prison."
–John Lubbock
Sloth King

Timezone: +13
DM Avatar: Fegall

PostAuthor: Etzie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:24 pm

Please can we stop asking questions in this thread, as I don't want it getting de-railed. Please make another thread (or use the other one already out there) to discuss this while we wait for the team to get back to us. Thanks :)
Etzie
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Moredo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:55 pm

Any news here? :)
Always consider alignment as a tool, not a straitjacket that restricts the character.
— AD&D, 2nd Edition Player's Handbook
Moredo
CCC
CCC

Timezone: +2

PostAuthor: Belasco » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:42 pm

We're nearly done coming up with an answer. Sorry it's taking so long. Look for a post this evening or tomorrow morning US time.
R. H. wrote:Why do some people blame everyone but themselves for their problems, if they don't get that they are the problem, than there is no solution!
Belasco
Silver Contributor

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: spool32 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:39 pm

Yes, we've got a final draft updating the rule from all directions, and we're just letting the clock run so staff members get a chance to comment if they want. Expect a post this evening or tomorrow.
spool32

PostAuthor: spool32 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:23 am

spool32

PostAuthor: gelvanus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:22 am

clarification please...

can the casting of the clerical spell be considered a hostile act if the laws of an area do not allow casting of spells onto another PC?
Orleron wrote:Britches for bitches.
Darkfire wrote:giff some XPees plz, will give hawt cyb0r

gelvanus
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Darkfire » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:34 am

gelvanus wrote:clarification please...

can the casting of the clerical spell be considered a hostile act if the laws of an area do not allow casting of spells onto another PC?

Naturally, and as you stated in your question, it would depend on the city's laws and their interpretations of them. IC'ly it could quite conceivably be considered an action deemed as hostile and one warranting legal reaction such as defending one's self.

Since this is an IC issue, it would be best to be brought up IC'ly so the cities' governments could respond and their interpretations be given.

With current knowledge of "not allow casting of spells onto another PC without permission" if not further defined than that (stating just that and nothing further like: Casting healing without permission is illegal. Casting detect <alignment> without permission is illegal, etc.) it could be possible to have it considered legal and a hostile action. Without checking with the city first, the results are unpredictable and open to different outcomes in regards to the legality of the detect spell.
CoEMF :devil: :feuer:
WrathOG777: This is a roleplaying game. There is no such thing as winning or losing. Only playing.
Player of Dameon Nepirtas
Darkfire
Major DM
Major DM

Timezone: CST (-5 GMT)

PostAuthor: othotbail » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:35 pm

I noticed the cleric/paladin versions of detect evil where covered but not the ranger's spell to detect evil. I have always sort of viewed it as an animals sense. Like when your pet dog meets someone for the first time and instantly hates them. Is the rangers spell viewed by avlis as the same as the clerics or paladins ablility?
Banana's, they are the force for my colon. They surround and bind everything so even Darth Vader can take a proper dump.
othotbail
Bronze Contributor

Timezone: central -5

PostAuthor: spool32 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:18 pm

othotbail wrote:I noticed the cleric/paladin versions of detect evil where covered but not the ranger's spell to detect evil. I have always sort of viewed it as an animals sense. Like when your pet dog meets someone for the first time and instantly hates them. Is the rangers spell viewed by avlis as the same as the clerics or paladins ablility?

It's a divine spell. Avlissian Druids and Rangers get all their spell power from a God, and so they should be considered identical to a Cleric spell for all purposes.
spool32

PostAuthor: gelvanus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:28 pm

tyvm for the info
Orleron wrote:Britches for bitches.
Darkfire wrote:giff some XPees plz, will give hawt cyb0r

gelvanus
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Wed May 23, 2012 10:59 am

Old bump, but I was looking for the answer to these and failed. Was a ruling made from the team discussions, or did I miss it?

Gorgon wrote:Just for clarification ...

Can the person using/casting the detection point out people who fail their saves, or do they only know they are around?

Sorry, but this is something that has been pretty vague for years with several sources posting things that contradict other posts.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PDT -7

Previous

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team