The disease system
1%
The experience system
40%
Mr. Ed
17%

Total votes : 108

PostAuthor: Mulu » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:42 am

When gloves of the rogue sell for 750,000 gp, the economy is totally broken. I can ignore or otherwise play around a world of epic PC's, but I can't ignore not being able to afford anything magic other than starting equipment. I've been hoarding gold like crazy lately to try to afford some sort of equipment upgrade, behavior that would otherwise be very OOC for my PC. But it's a requirement here in this world of multi-millionaires. After doing it for a few months including all of winter break, I find that I could have afforded a *single* glove of the rogue....
Mulu
Lord of Blithering Idiots

Timezone: Pacific

PostAuthor: Grunt » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:21 am

Mulu wrote:When gloves of the rogue sell for 750,000 gp, the economy is totally broken. I can ignore or otherwise play around a world of epic PC's, but I can't ignore not being able to afford anything magic other than starting equipment. I've been hoarding gold like crazy lately to try to afford some sort of equipment upgrade, behavior that would otherwise be very OOC for my PC. But it's a requirement here in this world of multi-millionaires. After doing it for a few months including all of winter break, I find that I could have afforded a *single* glove of the rogue....

I think you meant "135,000" in the auction that was just on, right? Also, what people will pay for that particular item doesn't reflect an economy as a whole where healing potions sell for much cheaper than they do on other worlds, +2 stat rings sell for a hell of a lot less because they're available and craftable... and so on. If Gloves of the rogue were available on Avlis in any form on a semi-regular basis, they'd sell for a lot less. it's not so much the multimillionaires as there's nothing for them to spend their gold on. So when something finally comes along that they want...they buy it, regardless of price.
FletcherWiki

*Stepping out of a portal*
Nawen Amakiir: there he is.. *smirks* someone had to make an entrance
Fletcher Millstone: MILLSTONE! *arms held high*
Lilliana Be'letane: You're the worst, Fletcher.
Grunt
CCC
CCC

Timezone: I AM A TIME LORD

PostAuthor: Mulu » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:50 pm

*shrugs* battlebands are craftable. How much do they sell for? I thought I heard it was in excess of 1 million. I've actually found that craftable items sell for far more than their NPC merchant value, typically 5-6x, sometimes as high as 12x. For example, I can find Adventurer's Robes, for about 10k from an NPC merchant, but they sell for around 40 or 50k at a PC shop in Mikona. I've seen non-craftable items sell for 1.5 million. I can't even imagine how much the +5 items at Coventry Fair were selling for.

Oh, and healing potions and +2 stat rings sell for about 4x their book value.

I've never played anywhere else that had this kind of money flowing around. Normally having 100,000 gp means you're wealthy. I thought buying a Kurathene slugger for 30k was outrageous. Took forever to save up for that. :P

Contrast that to the DMG where a castle costs about 150k, and gloves of the rogue are like 2k. Now, a general increase where everything costs 10x as much as DMG doesn't really have any impact if the PC's are also making 10x as much as a normal campaign, it's the same economy effectively. But that's not what happened in Avlis.

It really doesn't affect you until you get to around 12th level. Then you start spawning critters that you can't kill with affordable equipment, or sometimes even harm. Since better equipment is on a different price scale than normal equipment, the system strongly encourages, indeed basically requires, that you powergame to get as much gold as you can so you can afford to upgrade your equipment to be survivable again. Unless you keep a buffomatic cleric in tow with you at all times. :wink:

No PW is perfect, and Avlis has a lot going for it to be sure. But man is the economy whacked.
Mulu
Lord of Blithering Idiots

Timezone: Pacific

Previous

Return to Avlis Polls