Total players: 5
Gallery

Links Menu

A word about Character changes

Rules and Guidelines

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

A word about Character changes

PostAuthor: Orleron » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:49 pm

99.9999999% of the time the Avlis Team will NOT change your bic file for whatever reason. So if you are thinking of writing the staff to request a change to your character file, you are likely going to get a 'No' from us.

Changes that we reject include but are not limited to:

* You wish to take levels away from class X and put them into class Y

* You wish to exchange one class for another

* You picked the wrong feat when you levelled up and regret it

* You simply don't like your character and wish to change it.

* You made spelling mistakes or other errors in your character biography or description.

* You wish to change your PC's name.

This policy exists because there are well over 2000 players in the Avlis community, and we do not have time to get to them all and still be able to fix bugs and make new things. So instead of choosing favorites, we will usually deny your request.

If there are ANY exceptions to this policy in the future, we will let you know with a post in the general forums and an addendum to this thread. So check back here if anything comes up with the game.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: methuselah » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:41 pm

*bump*

Question about this ruling.

I understand some of the reasons behind these rulings, and agree with them. But there is one thing that has been bothering me for quite some time now.

No-Name characters. I have one, a few other people have them. In a thread in the General Discussion a while back this was brought up. And it came to my attention that No-Name characters make it more difficult for some DM's to do some of the following, give XP cookies, warp player a to location b, maybe even as far as actually giving the character an item for good role play.

My question, in order to make it easier for the DM's and the players here in Avlis, I requested to get a name, was told I was put on a waiting list but that was a month ago (maybe longer I cant recall that well) I do know that it is difficult to change the character .bic file.

If I were to re-make my old character with his name attached to the right place would this be acceptable? I am willing to go through all the RP that may be involved in such a change, and not really care much about the equipment on my old character, but in essence it would be the same guy.

Is this doable or is this a no no? Just wanted to get an official yes or no form someone from the team.

Thanks and good day.

methuselah
Dralix wrote:If there's one thing I've learned about you from these forums, it's that there are two sides to every issue ... and you are on both of them. ;)
Darkfire wrote:You have more balls then I do, because I'm still at my job taking it up the brown. Props to you methuselah.

methuselah
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: EST

PostAuthor: Serineth Swiftpaw » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:50 pm

Another question slightly related to the one above. I have seen two people remake their characters lately. Both were around level ~20 I believe. They have remade and are now taking levels in different classes than before and I belive have some of their old items and possibly some of their gold too (don't quote me on any of that other than the different classes which I know for sure). Is that acceptable? Multiple people seem to be remaking because they want to take Psion levels and scrap what they currently had. Some are now a different race and colour (!).
Serineth Swiftpaw
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: methuselah » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:59 pm

I was planning on taking all the classes and skills I already aquired as well as keep my char's race and features.

Making the same character, but as a different race and such is just plain silly.
Dralix wrote:If there's one thing I've learned about you from these forums, it's that there are two sides to every issue ... and you are on both of them. ;)
Darkfire wrote:You have more balls then I do, because I'm still at my job taking it up the brown. Props to you methuselah.

methuselah
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Gairus » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:09 pm

If a player remakes and then gets all the old gear back, they are likely to find themselves banned or otherwise punished. You are NOT allowed to do this with gear.

Don't do it.

If you think this has happened please send an email of the character, gamespy and reasons for thinking so to staff@avlis.org.

Gairus
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: methuselah » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:07 pm

Serineth Swiftpaw wrote:Another question slightly related to the one above. I have seen two people remake their characters lately. Both were around level ~20 I believe. They have remade and are now taking levels in different classes than before and I belive have some of their old items and possibly some of their gold too (don't quote me on any of that other than the different classes which I know for sure). Is that acceptable? Multiple people seem to be remaking because they want to take Psion levels and scrap what they currently had. Some are now a different race and colour (!).

I think it is wrong for people to do this. Keep in mind please, MY character is far from uber, he's only lv 9. I aint asking for a floaty name or to remake my character as a cheap way to take levels in psion or to redo my messed up skills or whatever. I simply want to make life easier for me, other players and DM's especially.

My character has almost been excluded from a DM event cuz of the no floaty, and not because of the no-floaty, but simply they had a hard time teleporting my character to where he teleported my party. It was almost disheartening, until after quite a wait, I was finally with my party. Making it hard on the DM's was not my intention with my noname, and because it makes it hard for DM's is the main reason I want the change. Not to mention the potential fact of someone thinking my character is a DM, which has not happened yet.

This is just a more detailed explanation of my original question. I am not trying to have a discussion her ein these boards. I am simply seeking clarification from the team on what is acceptable for me to do, or what I could have done about this. I am aware that this is a personal request and these are generally not granted by the team. Since I am not asking for my items or levels back and just to be able to remake my character, I feel that this may be in some way acceptable, tho i could be wrong.

Could someone from the team please clarify this rule of character alteration for me and how it may relate to my request please? Thank you.

methuselah
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Kareth » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:34 pm

methuselah wrote:Since I am not asking for my items or levels back and just to be able to remake my character, I feel that this may be in some way acceptable, tho i could be wrong.

If you don't want your levels or gear back, aren't you just creating a new character from scratch?

Kareth
Sage

PostAuthor: methuselah » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:01 am

Kareth wrote:
methuselah wrote:Since I am not asking for my items or levels back and just to be able to remake my character, I feel that this may be in some way acceptable, tho i could be wrong.

If you don't want your levels or gear back, aren't you just creating a new character from scratch?

Yes, basically I am. But I wish it to be the same character as he has made many friends, and some enemies, and is fun to play. My problem with my character is he has No Name. And this apparently causes problems for others (dms mostly IIRC). In an attempt to rectify my error, I wish for my character to get a name, be it a change in the bic file or me rerolling him from scratch. If I cant get my character's stuff transdfered I will just RP that I was robbed blind, and start from scratch. I want an OK form the team before I just go ahead and do this.

I ain't trying to get myself into trouble for rerolling a character, etc.

methuselah
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: CPU » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:30 pm

Orl wrote:99.9999999% of the time the Avlis Team will NOT change your bic file for whatever reason. So if you are thinking of writing the staff to request a change to your character file, you are likely going to get a 'No' from us.

I think it's already been addressed.
Avlis Housing Director
PM: Avlis Player Housing
Player Housing Information - This answers most questions people have. Please read this before asking.
CPU
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Hawkes » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:08 pm

CPU wrote:
Orl wrote:99.9999999% of the time the Avlis Team will NOT change your bic file for whatever reason. So if you are thinking of writing the staff to request a change to your character file, you are likely going to get a 'No' from us.

I think it's already been addressed.

No, I think this a different story because he doesn't simply wants his name changed, though that's it in the end. He wants to know if it is ok to make exactly the same character again, this time with a name. This is something different from just getting ones name changed by the team. But it still is quite tricky because who can tell if it really is the same char? You can play it like the old one, but guarantees that all the feats are the same?
I'm quite interested in an answer to this request too.
Hawkes
Lord of Blithering Idiots

Return to Rules