Visimontium - (0)
Total players: 8
Gallery

Links Menu

Avlis policy on: Banning

Rules and Guidelines

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

PostAuthor: tindertwiggy » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:14 pm

Nah choral it is for the better. Dm's need to start moving away from playing imo. It leads to the perception of too many problems.

Jordicus,
I have tried several times. It just never really works. For one thing I can never truly be a character because I know the ins and outs of every plot, and I know the design, quirks, and spawns of 90% of the areas. That really removes the wonder from the game, and it becomes monotonous. Also, I never get involved in major plot lines or even smaller plots because I feel I am taking the place of a true player.

The moral of the story is that if you become a team member be prepared to give up your playing days. The game just looses its luster.

tindertwiggy
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

PostAuthor: tindertwiggy » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:15 pm

how far off topic can this thread go?

tindertwiggy
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

PostAuthor: FunkOdyssey » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:17 pm

Did you hear about the kid from Pennsylvania that shot his principal and then himself today? :P
FunkOdyssey
Sage

PostAuthor: tindertwiggy » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:19 pm

:P?

:cry: .

tindertwiggy
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

PostAuthor: choraldances » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:19 pm

tindertwiggy wrote:how far off topic can this thread go?

Alrite, back to topic!

.... what's the topic?

Oh! right! Banning!
choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: choraldances » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:21 pm

FunkOdyssey wrote:Did you hear about the kid from Pennsylvania that shot his principal and then himself today? :P

*Hits Funk on the head*

becareful, doing this in a BANNING thread is NOT a good idea :)
choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:36 pm

well.... what about this idea...

the DM's should all make new custom characters as goblins or such and then login together and hassle the other players.. oh wait... they already do that! :shock:
Jordicus
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: izyk » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:45 pm

the DM's should all make new custom characters as goblins or such and then login together and hassle the other players.. oh wait... they already do that!

Ha. They dont need to login for that one.

Closest I ever got to logging out during play was last week. I was mapping the wilds, and I spawned 8 or 9 supertough - goblins. I could'nt run, because they surrounded me on all sides.

When I realized how long it was gonna take to kill em, I almost logged out. At last, I decided no...and went to the kitchen for coffee. Had a nice chat with my girl, picked up some litter, took out the garbage and cleaned the cat litter.

About 15 minutes later, returned to the computer just as the last one was dying. :->

Thats a mean little spawn that.
Zachar Mordecai
Right and Proper Society of the Iron Mantis
( aka Izyk G )
izyk
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Aloro » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:48 pm

Until we put a cap on beggar exp, standing at the same beggar and giving him gold again and again and again is an exploit.

:?

It's completely appropriate in character for Cha'reth to give a few thousand gold to a beggar (or to several beggars), in hopes of bettering their terrible living conditions, spreading goodwill between men and elves, and pursuing his Plans to end the war. However, there's obviously a cutoff point after which donations will be considered exploiting, and since there's no clear guideline, I'm going to avoid it entirely.

My apologies to the beggars. :)

- Aloro
Aloro

PostAuthor: FunkOdyssey » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:52 pm

IMHO, the 5xp a pop beggars fall into the category of "exploits that are so tedious and boring that anyone with the patience to exploit it deserves the meager XP they get". You'd be better off killing monsters anyway, so if you get your rocks off sitting in front of a beggar, spending all day clicking through 1,000 conversation screens, I say have a blast! :P
Last edited by FunkOdyssey on Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FunkOdyssey
Sage

PostAuthor: Silk » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:53 pm

izyk wrote:I was mapping the wilds, and I spawned 8 or 9 supertough - goblins.

Mind if I see your map?
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:59 pm

he's got to mean the ones north of the Mikona/Wilderness portal ? the ones who are supposed to be up ontop of that little mesa. I've occasionally come across one or two who have spawned down below instead, but never all of them.
Jordicus

PostAuthor: Actually » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:03 pm

Yeah, me too. *laughs* I'm always on 'em like stink on rice too, in hopes one of 'em is the "bingo" goblin.

Do you have any IDEA how many normal crossbow bolts it takes to kill 3 of those bastards in close combat?

Bye Now,
Jerry Cornelius - Pincushion pushing...

Actually
Sage

PostAuthor: izyk » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:08 pm

There is a bingo goblin?

Nope. The ones I am reffering to are off the beaten track a little. Plenty of bugbears and ogres in the area, and then these lonely goblins. I sent the location to Silk by PM, cause I was not sure he wanted it broadcast...

I Err on the side of caution...cause this is a banning thread after all.
Zachar Mordecai
Right and Proper Society of the Iron Mantis
( aka Izyk G )
izyk
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: blindsquirrel » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:22 pm

choraldances wrote:typing style is dead give away, trust me :)

I could spot choraldances at a 1000 yards :)

blindsquirrel
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Actually » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:28 pm

izyk wrote:There is a bingo goblin?

Nope. The ones I am reffering to are off the beaten track a little. Plenty of bugbears and ogres in the area, and then these lonely goblins. I sent the location to Silk by PM, cause I was not sure he wanted it broadcast...

I Err on the side of caution...cause this is a banning thread after all.

Errr, what? NO! No bingo goblin! No such thing. Move along now... :roll:

Ah, I'm thinking I remember a second place those goblins spawn come to think of it. Not exactly off the beaten track, considering there are 2 major dungeons on that screen. But you may have found a THIRD place entirely, for all I know.

Bye Now,
Jerry Cornelius - Innuendo

Actually
Sage

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:35 pm

Errr, what? NO! No bingo goblin! No such thing. Move along now...

What about Blackjack goblins, Poker goblins, ......?

:D
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Rabbit Man » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:20 pm

For those of you just joining us, here is a recap of this thread:

You can be banned for exploiting, which is using a bug in the game to significantly benefit you character. Ah, the uber goblin. Dwarf mercs are hard, and dwarves might be sloppy. Watch out for the Raven?s and simultaneous post competition. Gorethar and anal sex may be related. Towing is not an exploit if in character, but lots of consideration should go into it. DMs do it with inadequate tools. You can be banned for exploiting. Ah, the beggar. Rerolling hit points is bad, everyone does it, everyone shouldn?t. Ah, the beggar. So.Many.Rules. Bye Bye DM player characters. Board moderators can check your IP. Funk gets in a good line, later grows some Twig sown gumption. Ah, the beggar. DMs like to be left alone to play with their inadequate tools. A kid shot his principal. Ah, the uber goblin. Ah, the beggar. A player map would be interesting. Ah, the uber goblin. Chorl, we all know your alt. Ah, the uber goblin.

Rabbit Man
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: KinX » Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:58 am

Jordicus wrote:well.... what about this idea...

the DM's should all make new custom characters as goblins or such and then login together and hassle the other players.. oh wait... they already do that! :shock:

that's not totally a bad idea. Look at Lanessa. And i think Cyprian goes into that category.

But maybe make them a little less powerful, so the DM has to play the character with a little bit of care, otherwise the char will get slapped around. But make it possible to be able to take whoever it is down.

that's what i think anyway...
KinX
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: KinX » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:06 am

Rabbit Man wrote:For those of you just joining us, here is a recap of this thread:
Gorethar and anal sex may be related.

take it easy, i thought the people who played here were a bit more mature than this.
KinX
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: Rabbit Man » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:11 am

Just reporting. See top of page two. But, I for one know they are not more mature than that. :wink:

Rabbit Man
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Starslayer_D » Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:14 am

?bergoblins:
South of OoTW (MChek r5,c1)
On the road to Brandenburg Ferry (M'Chek r3, c3)
"Teleport Keep" (M'Chek r4, c5)

Teleport keep because entering it used to transport you instantly to another keep in M'Chek.

Starslayer_D
Master Sage

Hmmm...

PostAuthor: Neve » Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:58 pm

I have another "Is this legal" question.

I've been moving around in T'Nanshi, and I found loads of spear +1's.

Also I managed to attack a group of clerics with Draconis basterd swords, I shot them a couple of times and made a tactical retreat. Warriors shot them and I borrowed their stuff for an indefinite time =)

It was -alot-, but I managed to move it all to a merchant, who bought it all away from me. That made me about 15k gold in 5 minutes.

Legal ? o_0
Neve
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:10 pm

As far as I know, that has never been deemed as "illegal"....

From comments that were posted in other places, I think the general concept is that if you have to work for it, and there is risk involved, and you have to travel some in order to reap the benefits... then there is no real problem with it.... But remember, there should be a IC reason to do what you are doing as well... I'm not talking about a "I'm good and they are evil so they must be destroyed" reason, but a more serious IC reason that reflects on the nature of your character.. If you play a realtively wimpy character who hides from most enemies and yet you want some gold, then the Lizardmen are not the place for you... If you play a risk taking adventuresome character who doesn't mind occasionally getting his but kicked, then maybe you should try it...
Jordicus

PostAuthor: Guest » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:16 pm

Well, I'm playing a druid, and I was really just exploring the forest. I met a dwarf, chatted a bit, and then the lizardmen came. When I went further, I met those clerics, and I ran, and got chased. Eventually I killed them with darts =) It took me a while, and I nearly was a goner so I guess it's okay then =)

Thanks !

PreviousNext

Return to Rules