Visimontium - (0)
Total players: 7
Gallery

Links Menu

Avlis policy on: Banning

Rules and Guidelines

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:24 pm

just don't spend your next 2 weeks doing it over and over and over or you might get some "special loving care" from a DM.... :shock:
Jordicus
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Neve » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:56 pm

I'll keep that in mind, thanks 8)
Neve
Prince of Bloated Discourse

question on banning

PostAuthor: TwoBears » Tue May 06, 2003 12:17 am

I would like to know the rules on transfering some of my equipment from one character to another. I have seen several posts about selling off things or trading things that are on "mules" which says there ARE exchanges made between characters on one account.

This afternoon one of my characters (a new level 2) was killed in the sewers of Elysia... I logged off for work ...came back an hour or two later and had a corpse to figure out how to get back in the start area.

The DM that assisted me asked me about some of the equipment I had and I was honest.... <duh> ....and told him I transfered it off two of my other characters. I have gone through this thread and cannot find anything that says I can be banned for this... but was told I may... pending review.

I was honest about what I did even telling how they were originally aquired. I come to the boards more and more to find out information about different areas and rules on different issues. I know I have done a few thing that later I found out were not really permitted and have refrained from repeating these things.... like killing clerics for swords
using more than one adventure pak ....didnt know about this one til I read the entire thread.

So what are the rules on eqmt xfr on one account between characters. I was abandoning the two characters in question was why it was done in the first place.

Thanks
TwoBears
TwoBears
Whiney Peasant

Re: question on banning

PostAuthor: marauder » Tue May 06, 2003 1:31 am

TwoBears wrote:I would like to know the rules on transfering some of my equipment from one character to another. I have seen several posts about selling off things or trading things that are on "mules" which says there ARE exchanges made between characters on one account.

This afternoon one of my characters (a new level 2) was killed in the sewers of Elysia... I logged off for work ...came back an hour or two later and had a corpse to figure out how to get back in the start area.

The DM that assisted me asked me about some of the equipment I had and I was honest.... <duh> ....and told him I transfered it off two of my other characters. I have gone through this thread and cannot find anything that says I can be banned for this... but was told I may... pending review.

I was honest about what I did even telling how they were originally aquired. I come to the boards more and more to find out information about different areas and rules on different issues. I know I have done a few thing that later I found out were not really permitted and have refrained from repeating these things.... like killing clerics for swords
using more than one adventure pak ....didnt know about this one til I read the entire thread.

So what are the rules on eqmt xfr on one account between characters. I was abandoning the two characters in question was why it was done in the first place.

Thanks
TwoBears

In my opinion it is cheating...but I am not a DM.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

-Aristotle
marauder
Scholar

PostAuthor: tindertwiggy » Tue May 06, 2003 1:51 am

it is meta-gaming, but it is not a bannable offense. Meta-gaming is using ooc information to your advantage. Your other two characters should not have known your current character, and should no have given him the gear. Another term for that is twinking.

tindertwiggy
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

twinkling

PostAuthor: TwoBears » Tue May 06, 2003 1:55 am

Thanks for the info TinderTwiggy and Maradur....
I will not do it again....
Ask questions and learn
TwoBears
TwoBears
Whiney Peasant

PostAuthor: Hortis » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:13 pm

Ok, then, some confessions (just to document this now - I don't want to get booted later when this 'pruning' happens! This is a great server here, and I'm quite enjoying myself)...

I logged out of Elysia and back into Mikona last night (character: Hortis Fey) due to the boat being out of commission (after having bought TWO tickets!)... very irritating. I had originally planned to run for it (I'm a 2Bd/1Cl) but upon some advice from some other players online I decided to do the server switch, rationalizing that since I'd bought the ticket I should get the free trip, and also rationalizing that if I died enroute I was stuffless forever. *grins*

And then as it turned out you have to wait for an hour for logging in across servers, which was so irritating (I *really* wanted to play last night!) that it made me wish I *had* done my little run from Elysia to Mikona.

Anyways, so far as I read this I'm in the wrong? I hadn't re-read this board since the first time on Avlis so I'm refamiliarizing myself with it (and, coincidentally, apologizing for transgressions!)

Hortis
Scholar

PostAuthor: marauder » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:23 pm

Hortis wrote:Ok, then, some confessions (just to document this now - I don't want to get booted later when this 'pruning' happens! This is a great server here, and I'm quite enjoying myself)...

I logged out of Elysia and back into Mikona last night (character: Hortis Fey) due to the boat being out of commission (after having bought TWO tickets!)... very irritating. I had originally planned to run for it (I'm a 2Bd/1Cl) but upon some advice from some other players online I decided to do the server switch, rationalizing that since I'd bought the ticket I should get the free trip, and also rationalizing that if I died enroute I was stuffless forever. *grins*

And then as it turned out you have to wait for an hour for logging in across servers, which was so irritating (I *really* wanted to play last night!) that it made me wish I *had* done my little run from Elysia to Mikona.

Anyways, so far as I read this I'm in the wrong? I hadn't re-read this board since the first time on Avlis so I'm refamiliarizing myself with it (and, coincidentally, apologizing for transgressions!)

In this case, there is a bug with the boats right now (as far as I know). I dont think anyone will get after you because of it, but just dont let it be a habit...either check the boards until the boat is fixed, or buy a ticket every time. Actually you should buy one anyways and wait the hour. You could of course walk there too, like you said. If you can find a guide it makes the walk a lot safer.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

-Aristotle
marauder
Scholar

PostAuthor: ds77 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:26 pm

As of a month or two ago, you can no longer server hop for IC reasons. So if you wanted to goto Mikona from Elysia, you are gonna have hoof it.

THe hour long ban is auotmatic if you try and server hop.
ds77
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Hortis » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:44 pm

Wait, does that mean that I'm technically still in Elysia?

Sorry for all the newbiesh type questions - I'm not all that experienced here, yet. I *tried* to server hop and got the hour-long ban, but didn't try logging in after the hour was up. Where should I log in when I try tonight? Elysia? Or Mikona?

Hortis
Scholar

PostAuthor: ashzz » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:05 pm

Personally I think it should be a bannable offense, it is 100% impossible for one of your characters to ever meet your other character.

Now, if you were to give it to someone else, and say could yu give this to so and so when yu see him, that I could see. Its still incredibly cheesy, but then it makes sense.
Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.

ashzz
Scholar

PostAuthor: j5hale3 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:00 pm

Misty/ashzz,

It's only impossible to have your characters meet due to the limitations of the "game engine" If I have two characters based in Mikona, Most likely they would meet somewhere. at a function, the market, watching the same event at burhams, etc. My two characters do have nearly the same circle of friends. So it's not too inconsievalbe that they would run into each other.

Yes, I agree it easily leads to exploitation... The best rule to follow is: Give your stuff to other characters.. eventually the favor will be returned..

Best regards,

J5hale3
j5hale3
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Aloro » Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:51 pm

Wait, does that mean that I'm technically still in Elysia?

Sorry for all the newbiesh type questions - I'm not all that experienced here, yet. I *tried* to server hop and got the hour-long ban, but didn't try logging in after the hour was up. Where should I log in when I try tonight? Elysia? Or Mikona?

OK, I'll try to clear a few things up for you. :)

First, if you're logged into one server, and you server hop to another server (i.e. don't use the portals but log in directly) you will be dominated for one (1) hour RL time.

Second, if you haven't logged in anywhere in an hour or more, you can safely log your character into any server. It is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED that people always log back into the same server they were on last - otherwise we're kinda defeating the purpose of persistent locations. However, if e.g. it's been a week and I'm not sure where I logged out, or if it's been over an hour and the server I was last playing on is still down, then I can safely log that character into another server.

Third, if you last logged into Mikona (whether dominated or not), Mikona is your character's current location. Always try to log into the same server you were last on.

- Aloro
Aloro

PostAuthor: ashzz » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:30 pm

j5hale3 wrote:Misty/ashzz,

It's only impossible to have your characters meet due to the limitations of the "game engine" If I have two characters based in Mikona, Most likely they would meet somewhere. at a function, the market, watching the same event at burhams, etc. My two characters do have nearly the same circle of friends. So it's not too inconsievalbe that they would run into each other.

Yes, I agree it easily leads to exploitation... The best rule to follow is: Give your stuff to other characters.. eventually the favor will be returned..

Best regards,

J5hale3

ooc forum = ashzz...i dont grasp why this is hard to concieve for people.

yes obviously they could, but since its impossible for you to roleplay them both at the same time its an exploit. besides, why anyone would do this is beyond me, really ruins the fun.

ashzz
Scholar

PostAuthor: Ykirhs » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:18 pm

Dammit... whoever "summarized" the thread made me lose my train of thought... and a cup of coffee out my nose.
The HP reroll thing, isn't that an RPGA style? Max hitpoints at first, then half hit-die+1+CON mod?

Ah, now I remember.
Due to my poor habit of apparently missing the enter key to open up the chat line, sometimes I hit the "drive" keys while trying to put in some words. In doing so I found that the Pools in the Rompin' Romini give you extra hitpoints... over, and over, and over if you keep getting up. I have no intention of going into a combat situation knowingly until these wear off, but does having 100 odd bonus hitpoints put me on "The List?"
"We used to hate people,
now we just make fun of them,
it's more effective that way."

-"Dogma" KMFDM

Ykirhs

PostAuthor: j5hale3 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:30 pm

Ashzz, sorry didn't mean to push a button. I see your sig and picture every day and tend to think of you as misty... and I hardly ever address my posts to both names.... It was a fluke. I'll learn from my mistakes.

An exploit is only an exploit if you gain some advantage out of it. Using the IC boards my two characters could interact. (yes, I know it'd be like talking to myself :) ) but if done well it can breath more life into the game world. DM's need to do it all the time. (I know... I'm not a DM)

Just for the record, I think I've only once or twice refered to the other character, and, only to point a newbie to Vashano's school of adventuring. And I've never transfered items between them.

Best regards,
j5hale3
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: JollyOrc » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:06 pm

Ykirhs wrote:I have no intention of going into a combat situation knowingly until these wear off, but does having 100 odd bonus hitpoints put me on "The List?"

that's ok. This effect has been in game for ages, and it's by design...

buff up, go ahead... :-)
JollyOrc
QA Resource

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Ykirhs » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:03 am

JollyOrc wrote:that's ok. This effect has been in game for ages, and it's by design...

Huh? Seems like an exploit to me, given a party member was just sitting there and thier HP went up a certain point then stopped... while mine jumped up again each time I missed the enter key.
"We used to hate people,
now we just make fun of them,
it's more effective that way."

-"Dogma" KMFDM

Ykirhs

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:20 am

It works even better if you run in and out of the water.....

Not that I ever spent any amount of time doing that as a lowbie....

Goes off to look for a missing Champions Keep Door....
Jordicus

PostAuthor: JollyOrc » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:36 am

Ykirhs wrote:
JollyOrc wrote:that's ok. This effect has been in game for ages, and it's by design...

Huh? Seems like an exploit to me, given a party member was just sitting there and thier HP went up a certain point then stopped... while mine jumped up again each time I missed the enter key.

well, given the area this happens in, there's not much danger.

I mean, ok, you've got much HP but what do you want to do with them in the middle of the city ? And they are lost as soon as you rest. I don't see much danger there.
JollyOrc
QA Resource

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: jadeia » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:39 am

Ykirhs wrote:Dammit... whoever "summarized" the thread made me lose my train of thought... and a cup of coffee out my nose.
The HP reroll thing, isn't that an RPGA style? Max hitpoints at first, then half hit-die+1+CON mod?

Ah, now I remember.
Due to my poor habit of apparently missing the enter key to open up the chat line, sometimes I hit the "drive" keys while trying to put in some words. In doing so I found that the Pools in the Rompin' Romini give you extra hitpoints... over, and over, and over if you keep getting up. I have no intention of going into a combat situation knowingly until these wear off, but does having 100 odd bonus hitpoints put me on "The List?"

No its part of the game. Also, there is a max amount of HPs you can get. Its actually a great way for newbie Mages to last 5 minutes in the slums without getting their arses handed to them instantly from a dagger hit.
jadeia
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: ashzz » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:27 am

i suppose hp rerolling is a bit cheesy, but when your con is 10 and roll 1's to level 20 for a mage with 32 HP's (first 3 lvls alwys roll max)

hehe...like to see someone strong enough not to reroll..mwhahaha

ashzz
Scholar

PostAuthor: Vroshgrak » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:35 am

in the official campaign i made a mage with 6 con. And i rerolled if he got higher than a 1 on his roll. So by 20th lvl he had 24 hp! that was real fun :D hard to keep him alive at low levels. But at high levels he would buff up and cast maximized tensers transformation. what a beast! anyway back on subject.

as the team says about alot of things

"if you have to ask a question then dont do it!"
Vroshgrak

Timezone: Pacific (GMT -8/-7)
DM Avatar: Hurine

PostAuthor: Scurvy_Platypus » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:29 pm

ashzz wrote:hehe...like to see someone strong enough not to reroll..mwhahaha

Not one of my characters that I've played has gone with the reroll option. And it's sucked sometimes too. Just mean you have to play smarter :)
Scurvy_Platypus
Scholar

PostAuthor: Sili » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:47 pm

ashzz wrote:hehe...like to see someone strong enough not to reroll..mwhahaha

Never done it. 71 hp at 15th
grunt_work: and lycans are just furries with an attack bonus
Sili
Gold Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Rules