Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:04 am

Links Menu

Avlis policy on: Banning

Rules and Guidelines

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Avlis policy on: Banning

PostAuthor: Silk » Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:36 pm

Our player tracking system has flagged a few people for possible bannings due to exploits.

If you can't login with your character, please contact staff@avlis.org
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: Respite » Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:51 pm

Um.. and my newbie side is showing.. what's an exploit?
The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Ye all which it inherit, shall dissolve. And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff as dreams are made on. -Shakespeare

Respite
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: Arcsylver » Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:39 pm

Abusing a feature or bug in the game is exploiting.

I am not going to list any here for obvious reasons but anything that can be used to give you an unfair advantage either in combat or otherwise is an exploit.
"He who dies with the most knowledge... does not die."

Forum Avatar Photo Credit. Tangleroot
Arcsylver
Scholar

PostAuthor: Brick » Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:56 pm

Could you outline 'exploits' a little more clearly?

eg, is it OK to shoot soldiers across the Brandenburg Ferry?
Is it OK to lay down three strong fire traps and lure a big monster over them?

Brick
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Respite » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:01 am

Or, for instance, a specific quest. On three occasions I have done the spies quest in Elysia but since Elysia is the land-of-many-crashes, each time I have been booted and returned without the experience. Is it wrong to re-do a quest in that case? I just RP like it never happened the first time and move on.

Also, deliveries either refresh, respawn or reset.. should I only do a delivery for each person in town once? I can't really keep track, but I RP a servant of the temple district in Elysia, and a specific follower of the teachings of Dru 'El.

RP is my life. Er, not my life, but a role. But within that role, it is my life. When I'm RPing, that is. During my life.

Please kill me.
The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Ye all which it inherit, shall dissolve. And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff as dreams are made on. -Shakespeare

Respite
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: Alexandru Stanicu » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:25 am

@Brick: shooting soilders shooting across the ferry can be smart
leading monsters to traps IS smart

@Respite: If for some reason the npc doenst remeber giving you the quest, I see no harm it tring a second time.

-Alex
I ain't as good as I once was, But I'm as good once as I ever was...

:devil: 4evar!
Alexandru Stanicu
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

Timezone: CST
DM Avatar: The Hammer

PostAuthor: Vanor » Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:47 am

Brick wrote:Could you outline 'exploits' a little more clearly?

I'll try and do this.

An explote is where you find a bug in the game that lets you do something good, or get something good. And keep doing it over and over and over.

For those who played Diablo2, dupping was an explote. They had ways of duplicating a single item, so they now had two copies of it. They did this not by finding the item again but by using a bug to make a copy of the orginal.

Another way you could explote, is you found a item you could click on that gave you 50 exp's. The idea was you could do this once as part of a quest, but you found out that it kept doing it, so you clicked on it 1,000 times.

I hope that helps explane it a bit better.

If you ever think something you are doing may be an explote, consider this... Does doing what you are doing seem like your using a bug in the system to get an reward. Also you can always report it and see what the staff says.
Vanor
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Vroshgrak » Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:11 am

how about the coveted Uber goblin? Would killing him, and raising his body and killing him again and again be an exploit?, or just poor roleplaying?
Vroshgrak

Timezone: Pacific (GMT -8/-7)
DM Avatar: Hurine

PostAuthor: jadeia » Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:30 am

Is what you are doing fair?

Is what you are doing consistent with the PW we play in, and can it be explained IC'ly?

Is what you are doing something that you would like to see all characters be able to do?

Is what you are doing good RP?

Is what you are doing realistic in an IC sense?

If the answer is YES to all of these, then it's not an exploit. If it's no, then it most likely is.

Everyone knows, deep down inside, if what they are doing is exploiting a bug in Avlis. You feel guilty as a player, and do it when you are sure there is no one around, and no DM's around.

C'mon guys, its simple. Exploits are bad, and people caught will be banned.

Dont think you will be caught? You should see out watch list...
jadeia
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Respite » Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:07 am

C'mon guys, its simple. Exploits are bad, and people caught will be banned.

Yes, it is simple. But everybody needs a term explained the first time they hear it.

I come from playing Gemstone III and Earth and Beyond, among others, and they aren't called "exploits" there, just "bugs". I always thought an "exploit" only meant an "adventure" of some sort, so it caught me off guard to find out that it was bannable. :)

The concept is very simple, but let's also keep in mind that new folks don't always speak the same language we do right away.[/quote]

Respite
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: jadeia » Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:13 am

I totally agree Respite, hence the reason this thread was started.
jadeia
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Silk » Mon Apr 07, 2003 1:52 pm

I know common sense is all that common but consider this. Avlis is a roleplaying world. If you're doing something that can be considered powergaming... then I would think more about the action.

The people above covered it pretty well. Duping items is an exploit. Committing an action over and over simply because it's an easy way to gain XP or gold is more than likely an exploit. Does that make sense?
Silk

Member of the MadK@t lover's group.
Silk
Co-Founder

PostAuthor: Sindol » Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:04 pm

Silk wrote:Committing an action over and over simply because it's an easy way to gain XP or gold is more than likely an exploit. Does that make sense?

Let me get this clear, I would not want to bend your words in any way. Killing the lizardmen and Drangonari elves in T'Nanshi to make 40k an hour (rough estimate.... probably should be more) is an exploit? Or is it only an exploit if you do it over and over again?
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
Sindol

PostAuthor: Vanor » Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:40 pm

Sindol, that isn't a expote, because you have to...

1) walk all the way out to where they are.
2) kill them, quite a lot of them to make that kind of money. At 1k per spear, you're talking about a ton of spears.
3) walk all the way back to a merchant
4) sell everything to a merchant.

This is far to much work to be an explote, for the amount of money you get.

An explote would be more like, if you found a item that somehow you could sell for more then it costs to buy. So you sell this item to a merchant for 1500gp, buy it back for 1000gp, then sell it back again.
Vanor

PostAuthor: Glocknal » Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:55 pm

Not only that but those damn forest are easy to get lost in and the dwarf mercs can make a mess of ya real quick.

Glok
Glocknal

Timezone: GMT-4

PostAuthor: Radda » Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:08 pm

Bah! Dwarfs never make messes...

Radda
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Respite » Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:19 pm

it's true. A dwarf never makes a mess. He brings it with him.

Respite
Knight of Useless Drivel

hmmm... what about..

PostAuthor: DeltA_Ironhawk » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:39 pm

what about all the random chests and such in Mikona?
I'm out walking about and feeling tired so I open a door to a house and nobody is home so I proceed to take a nap and loot the chests and drawers in the house.

hmmm well that was pretty easy and im pretty broke being an 18 year old punk of sorts. I think ill go rob a couple more houses.
DeltA_Ironhawk
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: lord_ion » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:44 pm

Just be careful. There *are* guards AND a Guild that considers housebreaking *their* territory. Not to mention some of those houses belong to PCs who will administer a serious smackdown if they catch you, no questions asked, no quarter given. So again, that's not as safe and easy as it might seem.

lord_ion
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Liartes » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:44 pm

Heh. There are ways that is handled completely IC. Keep it up. Please. :twisted:

EDIT: Blasted post competition! Post directed toward Delta. :oops:
Liartes
Sage

Re: hmmm... what about..

PostAuthor: Ashlynn » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:46 pm

DeltA_Ironhawk wrote:what about all the random chests and such in Mikona?
I'm out walking about and feeling tired so I open a door to a house and nobody is home so I proceed to take a nap and loot the chests and drawers in the house.

hmmm well that was pretty easy and im pretty broke being an 18 year old punk of sorts. I think ill go rob a couple more houses.

While this is not an exploit at all, it does carry consequences all of its own in Mikona. Potentially very serious ones.

If you want to nap, go to an inn. If you want to steal things, well....that's a bit more complicated. :twisted:

EDIT: Damn, what are the odds of three people responding all at once to the same post?
Last edited by Ashlynn on Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashlynn
Scholar

PostAuthor: lord_ion » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:47 pm

Liartes wrote:Heh. There are ways that is handled completely IC. Keep it up. Please. :twisted:

EDIT: Blasted post competition! Post directed toward Delta. :oops:

Upps! Sorry. Yes, please do continue reckless housebreaking.

*the haunting call of ravens in the distance*

lord_ion
Apprentice Scholar

hmmm....

PostAuthor: DeltA_Ironhawk » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:04 pm

on the one hand you all know now.. on the other hand i feel better that retriibution will be carried out by the townsfolk and not the DM's.

either way im more afraid of the dm's wrath then the players wrath.
DeltA_Ironhawk
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Sili » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:13 pm

Must not have met Grevious yet.
grunt_work: and lycans are just furries with an attack bonus
Sili
Gold Contributor

PostAuthor: Umbrata Velvet » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:00 pm

I guess you have not meet some rough justice gorethar style yet. Or the remnants of the thief caught in Peregrynes house.....

And there are several other people out there well capable of dealing justice if they catch you in their house.

Arr... just for laughts. Try to rob the house directly across from Abdul as of the as possible...

Psst, Grant, someone tries again to break into your own.

"leans back, watches the ensuing show"
Velvet covers, pretty and soft to the touch, warm on the skin, swallows sound and whispers in movement. But it is heavy when layered and layered upon you, tangling your limbs, stiffling all sound, smothering you, silencing your screams in its dark embrace
Umbrata Velvet
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Next

Return to Rules